Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Offshore Europe
« on: 02/09/2013 at 15:26 »
I HATE IT!!!  :mad :mad :mad

Tens of thousands of people to decend on the Bridge of Don, yet the car parks at the AECC are shut off or full of buildings, so they have decided to have the Bridge of Don Barracks as a car park. Genius says I, because to get to the Barracks you have go through a roundabout controlled by lights. It lets around 3-5 cars through each time. It also forced people to go past the barracks, do a 180 degree turn and then come back on the other side, thus blocking traffic both north and south!

Add to that one entrance into and out of the AECC business park...and you wonder why Aberdeen is seen as a joke!

Today is the final tidy up and exhibitors day and its mobbed already! God knows whats going to happen tomorrow. Going to have to park on the beach and walk I think.

Mark Zhang

Re: Offshore Europe
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2013 at 11:17 »
I was thinking to have a look. Looks like it's not a good idea.  :X1 :X1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2013 at 13:37 »
If you are coming, get a bus. Currently there is a 2 lane traffic jam almost back to the roundabout, so thats about a mile long. This is a quiet time just after lunch!

On the plus side, we had a Spitfire doing barrel rolls etc outside the window :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 04/09/2013 at 20:52 »
I really can't stand it Rob, Its huge those 5 huge halls of stands. Not sure how much they pay but I doubt they generate any new business. The eye candy is superb though  :z4

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2013 at 21:19 »
Haven't made it along and unlikely to do so tomorrow. I too actually wonder how much business is actually done! Eddie can you throw any light on the matter?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 05/09/2013 at 07:32 »
I can tell you how much they pay as I have been involved in designing stands for various companies and I have also had to exhibit twice.

Companies I have done work for did not have much change from £300,000...and that was a good 10 years ago! We are talking major companies with large stands, but still!

I did a 3 minute animation for Weatherford and that was circa £25,000! I saw none of that of course :(

It does not happen so much now, but back then, the exhibits were bespoke, used for the week and then skipped, including all the visual displays and so on. I got my first Mac from there, it was being thrown out!

2 years ago a certain Audio/Visual company in Aberdeen were hirering out large Plasma display screens for £1000 a day! You could buy one for £2000.

There is business done, but not as much as you would think in volume. However, just because the deal is done (well initiated) in Aberdeen does not mean Aberdeen will see any of the money. Much of the manufacturing work is done abroad and a vast number of the exhibitors are not Aberdeen based.

The real winners are the hotels (one of our clients had to get a hotel in Banff, and is being charged, wait for this, £400 a night!) and the folk renting out their houses for the week. A 2 bedroom house in the Bridge of Doom for the week is around £6k.

Trouble with the whole show is that it is open to anyone. Pre register and you get in. What this means is that there are thousands of freeloaders who go and see how much free "stuff" they can get. Some of our designers went yesterday, got back to the office and laid all the freebies out on the desk to see who had "won". Walk around the place and I would say a good 75% have no say what so ever in a company buying something. Of the rest, half of them may be in a position to influence a purchase, leaving a very small amount of people who can actually do business.

I hate the place!!

One of the lads here took 2hrs and 20mins to get to the main road last night. We can see the road from the office!!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 05/09/2013 at 10:29 »
Haven't made it along and unlikely to do so tomorrow. I too actually wonder how much business is actually done! Eddie can you throw any light on the matter?

Matt,
we no longer exhibit at the show. It does not make economic sense and any decent business already speaks to all the people that they meet at the show all year round. There used to be some interesting capital drilling equipment on display but now it seems that fittings and flanges and valve suppliers make up most of the exhibitors.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2013 at 18:41 »
It does beg the question as to why the AECC is subsidised by the council tax payers. How on earth can anyone not make an event like this pay ??????

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2013 at 07:14 »
It does beg the question as to why the AECC is subsidised by the council tax payers. How on earth can anyone not make an event like this pay ??????

Jim

I thought that had stopped with the buy out by GE Oil?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2013 at 07:29 »
You are probably right Rob

Jim 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 06/09/2013 at 09:57 »
You are probably right Rob

Jim 

Must be the first ever oil company to host pop concerts!!..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com