Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Roman Moser Loops?
« on: 29/08/2013 at 13:47 »
Hi guys :z16

Roman Moser Loops ..... are you using them?

What can you tell me about them? Are they easy for "average Joe" to fit to their line, or is there a bit of a knack to fitting them?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Roman Moser Loops?
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2013 at 14:01 »
They are the best of the braided loops IMO but still not as good as a tapered leader nail knotted to the end of the line with a perfection loop in the end.  As easy to fit as any other braided loop.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2013 at 14:22 »
No different from attaching any other kind Mike. The are a lot shorter, they are also a lot more expensive. I started using them but not all my lines have them yet. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2013 at 15:38 »
In the product photos, they appear to come with a pin, what's the pin for?

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2013 at 15:53 »
you can use it to open the double layer of braid prior to inserting the tip of the fly line, then it can be used as an anchor (through the actual loop) when pulling up the sleeve over braid and fly line.

I'd only use the sleeve if performing a field repair.
be carefull not to use on too thin a line diameter (I've had it pull off of some 3wts during test - long time ago now as I don't use the sleeves)
I'd cut the braid right down to about 3/4" - 1 1/8" max and whip the mother on.
1/2" whipping length is what I use and could possibly get away with 1/4", even an 1/8th, as it is just an anchor point as the baid itself grips the coating.
Nail knots are for girls  :X5

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2013 at 22:11 »
Roman Moser Loops ..... are you using them?

Yes, love em. Never let me down. Sort, strong, easy to fit. Less splashy than the longer, standard braided loops. A little more pricy than ordinary loops, but 5 quid or so for 5 which will last for a season or two... Cheap.

I like the occasional flexibility of swapping a leader or polyleader, hence a preference for a braided loop not a nail knot. It's a bit easier, I guess, and can be swapped out on the riverbank.

I have had fly lines cracking at the hinge point (where the braided loop & sleeve end) - but that was after a good season or two of use, and as such I'd consider it normal wear and tear.
Cheers
I,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2013 at 15:04 »
If you use the sleeve, does it work well by itself, or do you use the added security of a drop of glue?

I'd prefer not to use glue if possible.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2013 at 15:16 »
+1 for a wee drop of glue, for that added peace of mind  :z16

H :cool:

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 14/09/2013 at 16:23 »
If you use the sleeve, does it work well by itself, or do you use the added security of a drop of glue?

I don't use glue, and never had any issues with the RM loops. But no harm adding some, would marginally smooth out the braid to fly line 'bump'

cheers
iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2013 at 17:43 »
as Iain mentioned previously there is a chance of cracking the line at the hinge point, it helps to use a flexible glue.

:z18

Jim 

Liam Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 14/09/2013 at 18:19 »
I used to use glue but stopped after cracks started to appear on the line. Not had any issues using just the sleeve so far.

:z16

Liam

Sieger Devries

« Reply #11 on: 14/09/2013 at 21:49 »
Great stuff these loops... use since... ever....

I use a tiny drop of Loon knot sense... stay flexible....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 15/09/2013 at 17:55 »
Thanks guys :z16

I've now taken some into stock to offer as single items with a Barrio line.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com