Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Djordje Andjelkovic

GuideLine Drifter Float tube
« on: 19/08/2013 at 23:02 »
First time using this float tube. Excellent. All what I need from float tube. Each of the two bladders have double air compartments for flotation, a lot of useful pockets, hi seating...

Sage ESN #2 rod and Barrio Mallard DT2F was enough for fish I expected and caught.

Mike Barrio

Re: GuideLine Drifter Float tube
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2013 at 00:01 »
Great stuff Djordje ..... and nice photos :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 20/08/2013 at 10:15 »
A proper fish :)

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #3 on: 20/08/2013 at 11:03 »
Great stuff. Looks like the seating position is much higher than my shakey. I am thinking about a change and the guideline is top of my list.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2013 at 16:02 »
My frame must be starting to weld together as I'm beginning to feel like a sack of frogs when in the Shakey, If I had a spare £300 I'd be having one of them.

Great location Djordje.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2013 at 18:26 »
Nice Djordje  :z16 :cool:

My mates all fish the Shakey, first thing I was in was a Sparton and I hate both.  If they were all that was available then I simply would not have a tube.

I think even Kev may be coming around to the fact that the Guideline is a far better bit of kit.  Only downside is that a few bits of it are not particularly well made.  The D rings for the carry straps have all snapped, I've replaced them with carabiners which are easier to use anyway.  I had the stitching pull in a seam, easily fixed but I'd not expect to have to.  Other thing to consider would be that it has a greater surface area than some other tubes which means you get more of a sail effect when carrying it in a wind, also weighs about 2lb more than Shakey but a month off the pies would negate that.

Infinitely adjustable ride position, very stable, easy to move around and it DOES NOT get blown about or flip over in a big wave due to sitting higher not have I ever slipped out of the front of it and drowned.
I can outrun any other tube I've been up against with my standard fins (now sponsored by Gaffa Tape) even though the other drivers may be using top of the range turbo force frog flipper specials or WTF ever they are.  I don't get cold, have storage space etc....... I could go on!

Get one Iain, some mug will pay a good price for your blue & red bidet, if you want a shot of mine for a day just ask.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 20/08/2013 at 18:41 »
My mates all fish the Shakey.....

Really  ??? :!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 20/08/2013 at 18:52 »
Really  ??? :!

You need to be out in it at least twice a year to qualify as a user Hamish  :z4

The majority of folk I use are in low rider things and they are pish, is the point I was making!  (just nearly bought a Celica btw)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 20/08/2013 at 22:26 »
Get one Iain, some mug will pay a good price for your blue & red bidet

I'd never sell it, too many fond memories and is still a versatile old tub especially if there is a walk in.

Tube is in black bag at top of main pic (neoprene waders are in grey stuff pack below that)

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 20/08/2013 at 22:49 »
Well don't sell it then, Kev told me it's ok to have at least 8 float tubes so just get a new one and keep that one.

Will Shaw

« Reply #10 on: 20/08/2013 at 23:53 »
Got to agree with Ben. The guideline is great, even in a good wind. Agree it could be better made. Ben you forgot to mention the snappy seat-back stiffener (thanks Kev for the fix!), and the fact that it's easy to over inflate and burst the bladders, something I've done twice (slow learner). Djordie, I'd replace the carry strap D-rings as Ben advises right away, they will definitely break.

If I was being really picky I'd ask for less storage: the left hand compartment gets in the way of a long-strip retrieve. Also the line tray thingy could be bigger.

W.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 21/08/2013 at 00:13 »
Got to agree with Ben. The guideline is great, even in a good wind. Agree it could be better made. Ben you forgot to mention the snappy seat-back stiffener (thanks Kev for the fix!), and the fact that it's easy to over inflate and burst the bladders, something I've done twice (slow learner). Djordie, I'd replace the carry strap D-rings as Ben advises right away, they will definitely break.

If I was being really picky I'd ask for less storage: the left hand compartment gets in the way of a long-strip retrieve. Also the line tray thingy could be bigger.

W.

Yeah, I'd forgot about the Kev fix on the back rest, that broke first time out, thanks mate! Since I got the African Blackwood strut it has been solid, don't think that'll happen again.

I'm going to see if I can fabricate a new line tray.  Not that it is too small but it could be deeper.  I'm a real blow the line can get blown out of the tray either between you and the tube or on to the water.  I'd like to get a semi solid one for it although it will probably end up being cable ties cropped short from the underside.  I am contemplating aquasuring over all seams from the outside to provide a bit more abrasion resistance for the thread.  That should sort out all the little niggles for me.  It will then be how it should have been when it came out of the factory, eh Hamish  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 21/08/2013 at 05:56 »
Well don't sell it then, Kev told me it's ok to have at least 8 float tubes so just get a new one and keep that one.

I'm beginning to wonder if Kev has a bladder fetish.... ??? :shock

It will then be how it should have been when it came out of the factory, eh Hamish  :z4

That rule generally only tends to apply to Italian cars mate (generally Fiats), but if the wading boot fits......  :wink

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 21/08/2013 at 09:10 »
I've had my Sparton tube for about 7 or 8 years now and it has never needed anything to be fixed, it's had plenty of commercial use too, in fact hundreds of people have used it :wink

Float tubes are very much "personal" water craft ....... whatever floats your boat!
I always feel safe in mine, well done Steve Parton :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 21/08/2013 at 11:20 »
Have the Guidelines been redesigned then? The guys I know using them have been for 5-8 years and never had an issue, not one.

The thing that impressed me with them was the construction, with quadruple stitching and solid fittings.

Lookig at the photo at the start of the thread, I realised that either Djordje is either huge, or the Guidelines have got smaller.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com