Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Thread for DHD
« on: 16/08/2013 at 13:31 »
What's the best / easiest thread t use for whipping eyes onto a salmon blank?  Got loads of Pearsalls, Kevlar, bass bug (3/0) tying thread.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

Re: Thread for DHD
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2013 at 20:42 »
Pearsalls would be most entertaining and keep you amused for hours :z7

Stick to D sized Nylon, i've got a stack in different colours if you want some. :z16

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2013 at 21:39 »
Thanks Sandy.

I cut a ring of a broken blank today and tried to put it back on with Pearsalls.  Kept snapping and took ages, gave up after about 90 mins and 6 attempts, ring still not on rod  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 16/08/2013 at 22:16 »
What colour?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 16/08/2013 at 23:09 »
Yellow

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 17/08/2013 at 08:25 »
No sweat, got loads of D sized yellow.
Will look one out and work out when I can drop it off. :z16

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 17/08/2013 at 09:07 »
No sweat, got loads of D sized yellow.
Will look one out and work out when I can drop it off. :z16

Sandy

Sorry Sandy, misunderstood.  It was yellow I was playing with but the blank will be built with black!

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 17/08/2013 at 18:18 »
I've black as well :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 19/08/2013 at 07:46 »
Thanks Sandy.

I cut a ring of a broken blank today and tried to put it back on with Pearsalls.  Kept snapping and took ages, gave up after about 90 mins and 6 attempts, ring still not on rod  :z4

I did tell you! Pearsalls is only for "retro" rod builders who are retired and can spend days fiddling about with cane blanks! ;)

You would be better of with a dab of super glue on the foot and some shrink tubing over the top ;) Seen a beachcaster "rewhipped" this way in about 15 minutes flat!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 19/08/2013 at 09:26 »
I did tell you! Pearsalls is only for "retro" rod builders who are retired and can spend days fiddling about with cane blanks! ;)

You would be better of with a dab of super glue on the foot and some shrink tubing over the top ;) Seen a beachcaster "rewhipped" this way in about 15 minutes flat!

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Rob  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 21/08/2013 at 10:52 »
Got some thread and other bits & pieces from David Norwich.  Very cheap and came through post in great time.

Definitely a thread issue rather than my ineptness!! 

Practice whipping with Pac Bay grade C grey nylon

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 21/08/2013 at 11:06 »
Better than what Hardy is currently producing!!

If you burnish the thread, you will close up all the little gaps and end with a nice smooth finish. I use a knitting needle.

Now comes the fun part, the epoxy!

Hope you washed your hands and have not been anywhere near the threads with silicon ;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 21/08/2013 at 12:10 »
Ran over it with a bic biro lid Rob, didn't see the gaps until I took macro pic of it!!  See them now and have fixed it, still quite pleased with it  :cool:

I thought Sandy was winding me up when he said he did them in front of the TV and that it should only take a few minutes!!

Pearsalls is for old retired folk with too much time on their hands  :z4

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 21/08/2013 at 13:19 »
I thought Sandy was winding me up when he said he did them in front of the TV and that it should only take a few minutes!!

Its easy enough doing a standard whipping on a fly rod as you have found out. Starts to get a little harder adding trims, bit harder still if adding a single turn of tipping and a nightmare when weaving a name! Then increase the blank diameter to the size of a beachcaster and it becomes very time consuming indeed.

I always find the epoxy the hardest to get right...hate the stuff!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com