Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

John Norris Atlantic shooting heads
« on: 13/08/2013 at 16:08 »
Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_236-fly-fishing-lines/12609-john-norris-atlantic-intergrated-shooting-heads-2004.html

They integrated with the running line and are very cheap. The previous model gets great reviews on the salmon fishing forum. I'm guessing it will not be a Rio or a Mackenzie but for that money it might be worth a punt.

I ask because these are also cheap and get great reviews.

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_351-shakespeare-fishing-rods/9850-shakespeare-oracle-xt-salmon-fly-rods-7674.html

and also get great reviews. I mean £50 FFS!

:z1

Hamish Young

Re: John Norris Atlantic shooting heads
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2013 at 18:13 »
Have not tried one of those Norris lines.... when you buy one let me know, I can try it then :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2013 at 19:44 »
Euan,

Buy a known quantity mate.  A fly line is the most important part of your outfit, crap line on a good rod makes for a crap day.  Good line on a crap rod is, in most cases, usable!  Not tried one of these myself and I don't personally know anyone who has, it may be a good idea if Hamish asked on the secret forum for you.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2013 at 20:17 »
Euan,

Buy a known quantity mate.  A fly line is the most important part of your outfit, crap line on a good rod makes for a crap day.  Good line on a crap rod is, in most cases, usable!  Not tried one of these myself and I don't personally know anyone who has, it may be a good idea if Hamish asked on the secret forum for you.

Cheers

Ben

Secret forum  ??? Ben you flatter me chum, if such a thing existed then wouldn't it be a secret :?
No-one would have the likes of me a on a secret forum  :wink

What you need is one of the new Barrio lines Euan me old mucker, but they are still going through final development/checks.  Hopefully they will be coming along soon  :z16

H :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2013 at 20:41 »
What rod are you looking at Euan?  A Perflex would be the ideal choice if you aren't in too badly in Alfa debt right now.  If you want a throw with one then I'm pretty sure H or I could make that happen.

CHeers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2013 at 22:18 »
Aye well the clutch went on the Alfa tonight on the Cairn. I knew it was shagged, I just thought it might have lasted two more days  :z4 :z4 :z4

Any spare money will now be used to have it transported to Dundee where it was booked in to have a new clutch on Thursday
Perflex will not be in my price range that's for sure!  :z4

Updates to follow...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2013 at 22:27 »
Aye well the clutch went on the Alfa tonight on the Cairn. I knew it was shagged, I just thought it might have lasted two more days  :z4 :z4 :z4

Any spare money will now be used to have it transported to Dundee where it was booked in to have a new clutch on Thursday
Perflex will not be in my price range that's for sure!  :z4

Updates to follow...

Euan, hold off until next season then.  If you need a loan of something then I'm sure that one of us can help you out.  What is the sense in buying something now for £100 (with minimal resale value) that you will be sick of in 12 months time and want to change?! 

Bad luck with the clutch (should have left it on Cairn and torched it), Surf is sort of grumbling just now, suspect a wheel bearing.  Update to follow once Kev has sharpened his hammer  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 14/08/2013 at 08:12 »

Unlucky me old chum, unlucky  :z10

Any spare money will now be used to have it transported to Dundee where it was booked in to have a new clutch on Thursday, Perflex will not be in my price range that's for sure!  :z4

On the upside, at least it will be nice and fixed when it comes back. That's what I keep telling myself.... every time it comes back from the garage  :wink

Euan, hold off until next season then.  If you need a loan of something then I'm sure that one of us can help you out.  What is the sense in buying something now for £100 (with minimal resale value) that you will be sick of in 12 months time and want to change?! 

He's right you know.

Bad luck with the clutch (should have left it on Cairn and torched it)

Harsh but a sentiment I fully understand.

Surf is sort of grumbling just now, suspect a wheel bearing.  Update to follow once Kev has sharpened his hammer  :z4

Sharpened his hammer :? I assumed he would be machining a multitude of new parts from unobtainium and presenting them in a highly polished ebony box  :z13

H :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com