Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dario

do fish sleep?
« on: 13/06/2007 at 13:37 »
Hi guys, it may sound like a silly question, but I know this forum is full of well informed people...  we were having a conversation with a fellow fisherman, and the fact that trout does not have eyeleads... so the question raised like a trout to a dry fly  :roll: ... do fish sleep?

Thanks

Dario

Rob Brownfield

do fish sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2007 at 15:10 »
The answer is (said in a Dr Bones McCoy Star Trek voice) "Yes Jim, but not as we know it".  :wink:

I have kept fish since the tender age of about 5. I am facinated by all things "underwater" and often study my coral tank at night to see all the weird and wonderful beasties that come out to play.

Anyway, I do this with the aid of a red LED so as not to scare stuff. The fish are often tucked away out the main flow, between rocks etc and just hanging there. They lose there colour and become very pale.

If you watch them it is almost as if they are asleep, but with the eyes open. If you then shine the LED at them after a minute or two they sort of "wake up", regain there colour and start to swim about.

I guess they are just shutting down there systems but staying alert enough to recognise danger.

On another note, I was up at McDuff aquarium at the weekend and they have a few Sea Trout in with Mullet and Bass. The trout were all wedged under weed on the bottom, not moving. Exactly like my fish do at night.

Dario

do fish sleep?
« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2007 at 13:01 »
Thanks Rob. That's another mistery solved  :grin:

do fish sleep?
« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2007 at 23:05 »
iv heard they kind of sleep all the time like for a second or so  its kind of like theyre always sleeping but always awake if you know what i mean?? i think hummingbirds do the same???? not relevant but a comparison???
i was at aquarium recently also theres salmon in big tank

Mike Barrio

do fish sleep?
« Reply #4 on: 16/06/2007 at 00:36 »
Do fish sleep?

Yes, mine go in to hibernation mode as soon as the boats go out  :z4

Seriously though, I have noticed that sometimes ( while working on the loch ) I can approach a fish without it noticing that I am there ( no quivering fins etc etc ) and then they will suddenly wake up startled and go darting off  :roll:

This is clearly not the usual "I'll stay motionless and blend in so he won't see me" type situation ........... interesting.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com