Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cláudio Saraiva

Which line?
« on: 06/08/2013 at 00:47 »
Hello  :z18

I'm thinking about buying a new fly line, and as you may have guessed by now, I will probably go for a Barrio. However, I need some advice to know which line would suit me best.
I'm a beginner at fly fishing/fly casting, my rod is 8,5 foot long, #4/5 line, medium action. I mostly fish dry flies (and a few small nymphs) in small rivers and streams aiming for very wary trouts. I use mostly the overhead cast, but due to the thick vegetation, very often I need to use roll casts and swich casts.
I'm inclined to a #4 line to have more subtle fly presentations, and i think that a Barrio Mallard DT or a Barrio GT90 would be the best lines for me. But which one would be the best?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for my bad English  :z16

Greetings from Portugal  :z16

Rob Brownfield

Re: Which line?
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2013 at 08:02 »
I would go for the SLX as this is a great line for roll casting, spey or overhead.

I am sure the lines designers will be along to give you advice, but you really cannot beat an olive green SLX for the river.

My preferred river set up is an Orvis ZG in a4 weight matched to a 4 weight SLX

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2013 at 09:04 »
Hi Saraiva :z16

Rob's suggestion of the SLX #4 is a good one, an excellent line for limited space and roll and switch casts, the SLX offers great presentation for wary trout and would be my first choice.

But yes, the Mallard and the GT90 will both serve you well too :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2013 at 10:52 »
hi,
SLX for sure. since you say you are new to this i would however recommend the 5wt.
delicate presentations is much more a matter of how the line is cast rather than there being a gram or two more distributed over quite a long distance of line.
on the other hand, you'll most probably get a better feel of the cast, specially with rolls and speys with the slightly heavier line.

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 06/08/2013 at 11:24 »
Good point Marc :z16

Cláudio Saraiva

« Reply #5 on: 06/08/2013 at 13:41 »
But the SLX performs well in the overhead casts? It's the cast that I use most of the time. And in situations that I have no more than a foot of fly line off the tip of the rod?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 06/08/2013 at 13:49 »
yes, very well  :z16
in fact, for a lot of us, it's becoming more and more the 'Do Everything' line of choice and this among casters/fishers of all levels.
don't hesitate.

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 06/08/2013 at 17:38 »
But the SLX performs well in the overhead casts? It's the cast that I use most of the time. And in situations that I have no more than a foot of fly line off the tip of the rod?

Yes, of course, the SLX casts overhead very well :cool:

With only about one foot of line outside the rod tip it will make little difference which line you choose :wink

Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Mike

Cláudio Saraiva

« Reply #8 on: 14/05/2014 at 12:43 »
I got my SLX a few months ago and I´m loving it. I tryed it both in running and stillwaters and I love how it performs, I didn't noticed any memory even when I kept it stored for long periods of time, even though I'm not a very experienced caster it seems that the line don't want to be in the reel and I can cast it to distances I never imagined to be capable of!  :z14

Now I'm looking for a heavier line, a 7wt WF mostly to fish for largemouth bass (so, big flies come into play) and barbel. I want to go for long distances too. Which Barrio line do you recommend? A gt125?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 14/05/2014 at 14:34 »
An SLX :)

I am using a 5 weight to cast trout streamers, things like Wooly Buggers, Sculpins and so on. A #4 was even chucking stonefly nymphs with 2 x 3mm tungsten beads.

I am about to order a 7 weight for salmon flies and small tubes, on the recommendation of several people who use #7 SLX's for that very purpose.

One of the forum members was using a #8 for Zander and big, heavy flies. http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6061.0

Ben_D I believe uses a #7 for Salmon...perhaps he can give a little more advice.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com