Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin Moss

Sunshine and the Glen w/e 7th jul
« on: 08/07/2013 at 09:16 »
Glen of Rothes trout and coarse fishery

As expected the high temperatures slowed things down and it was required to switch to deeper tactics to connect with fish.Early morning and late evenings did produce sport on the top as things were alot cooler.Best areas to find fish were shaded areas at theback of the islands and hard to the bottom.Ace of spades,budgies and buzzers were the best producing flies through the week.Fish when caught still put up a good fight and some of the results in no particular order were,Kev Middlemiss with a fish of 8lb 3oz and returned a larger fish after that over double figure.Ian Patterson jnr had a fish of 8lb 5ozs,Gareth Hughes had a good day with his heaviest fish ever at 7lb 13oz,Steven Turnbull had a 6lb fish,Jim  Eddie a 9lber,George Angus a 4lb 2oz,Ian Hastie an 8lber,Dave McKay had 8 fish,Gordon Grant 8 and most anglers managed at least 3 or 4 fish with a couple of blanks which in this weather cant be avoided.
Its important to point out that in this hot weather keeping fish in the water if being released and getting them away as quick as possible as in these temperatures they need to be brought in as quick as  possible and released quickly to ensure they get away safely.
Best times are certainly morning and evenings and expect slower action especially around midday when the sun will be at its hottest and fish will switch off which is just the nature of fishing anytime.

Coarse Loch

The fish here do react different to hot weather compared to rainbows,they just love it and the results being produced by anglers here have shown this.Steve Wiltshire had a good bag of Bream,roach and Ide,George Beatty had carp to 4lbs with a mixed bag of roach and ide,John Allsopp had carp and plenty of skimmers,Kev Mant had 2 good outings with over 4o fish and nigh on the same on his second trip,bream Carp and orfe made up the majority of his bagand Paul Nash had the same mix,Rob Brownfield ha dan overnight session for the Carp and had 9 to 5lbs and lost a double at the net which he said was around the 12 to 13lb mark.With plenty of activity and heat forecast fishing should be good for the coming week.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sunshine and the Glen w/e 7th jul
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2013 at 14:37 »
Add to that.

Saw big shoals of Ide in the sunshine, lost 7 carp in total thanks to the hook pulling :( and had to sit with a wet weigh sling on my head from around 10:30 at night until 7am as the midges were mental! Skin So Soft does not work on the Moray Midge!!!

I was targeting the bigger carp but failed to find them. I expected to see them on the surface, but they had other ideas. Still, catching rod benders a foot from the bank was great fun, but losing the double was not.

A great 24 hours spent in the peace and quiet.

Thanks for letting me on Kev!

Kevin Moss

« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2013 at 17:39 »
Glad to be of service Rob.

The big Carp are moving but just ploughing about on the surface at the minute.Plenty of breamand roach.John Allsopp had a nice bream today ,really impressed at how well they are coming along.he even had a tench!!!.

See you again soon.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2013 at 17:49 »
You have Tench? What size was it and how many have you stocked?

Tench are by far my favourite fish!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2013 at 17:50 »
ps. Hope to be up on Sunday, playing in the Gordon Highlanders Drums and Pipes at their reunion on Saturday so if I am still walking Sunday, a trip would clear my head :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com