Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: Fishing Car
« Reply #45 on: 17/09/2013 at 18:21 »
Not much room for gear?

Looks impressive Mike, guy made a good point about the M + S tyres though, a lot of the "Chelsea Tractors" with road tyres are pants off road.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 17/09/2013 at 23:22 »
Low mileage Freelander 2.0 TD4s 2005 ....... Good second hand buy or not?

Euan Innes

« Reply #47 on: 18/09/2013 at 07:25 »
I know a guy in Arbroath with a 4x4 Octavia with around 45k on it for £4k.
PM for details if you are interested.

:z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #48 on: 18/09/2013 at 08:21 »

Aoto Express likes them Mike, although not cheap to run I beleive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/freelander-2/reliability

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #49 on: 18/09/2013 at 08:35 »
Aoto Express likes them Mike, although not cheap to run I beleive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/freelander-2/reliability

Jim

That's probably because the vast majority of them never leave tarmac. When I was running one regularly on forestry roads the rubber mounting points  for the suspension wore out very fast and I had to replace the bearings on the rear drive shaft twice. The air conditioning never worked from the day I bought it. Also the cargo space is very small, you would struggle going on holiday with 4 people plus luggage. Mine was the earlier model and I don't know if they made any real mechanical  changes to the mark II. Not a car I remember fondly.

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #50 on: 18/09/2013 at 10:21 »
I know oneguy locally with a Freelander 2 TD4.  Was in good nick when he bought it, had loads of issues, rear drive train, fuel system.  Other than that it seems like a nice motor.  Dear to fix when they go wrong.

Get a Surf and a decent set of hammers, far better option.  Mine is very rarely in the garage, I've doneabout 126000km in it and for a truck of its age nothing really has gone wrong or needed doing that you would not expect to have to do as routine maintainance.  Cylinger head cracked but that is a know issue with the engine and the replacements are modified to correct the issue.

Ben

Stuart Smith

« Reply #51 on: 18/09/2013 at 12:51 »
i just got an X-trail.its got loads of room 4 wheel drive and diff lock and getting well ito the 40s to the gallon.its an 04 plate and there plenty for sale

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #52 on: 19/09/2013 at 08:34 »
Mine is very rarely in the garage,

Thats coz you are always fixing it out on the driveway! ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #53 on: 19/09/2013 at 08:36 »

Get a good one and they are great. Two of the lads in the band have them, one a 1.8 petrol, the other a TD4. Both are used for towing a caravan, both are high milage and both have been fine.

Get a bad one, and they are expensive.

They are surprisingly good off road, but as mentioned, best to replace all bushes and mounts with Polybush substitutes.

The latest version is a considerable improvement.

Would I buy a secondhand one? Only if it had full Landrover service and ALL receipts. :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #54 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:12 »
I passed on the Freelander and went a bit latin instead :z13

I still have a feeling that my time will come for a Landrover ...... one day :z4

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #55 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:15 »

Please tell me you haven't bought H's Alfa?!? ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #56 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:16 »
It was a bit quiet on the forum for a while tonight :roll ....... Hmmm, maybe 'Strictly' has started again on the telly? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:17 »
Please tell me you haven't bought H's Alfa?!? ;)

No, it isn't H's Alfa :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #58 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:33 »

I still have a feeling that my time will come for a Landrover ...... one day :z4

Cheers
Mike

Dude, you're too old for a Gaylander.  Bypass that expense and go straight for the Volvo XC90  :z4

If you are getting a Land Rover then get an older defender, still pants but at least they are fixable without a PC.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #59 on: 27/09/2013 at 22:37 »
Dude, you're too old for a Gaylander.  Bypass that expense and go straight for the Volvo XC90  :z4

If you are getting a Land Rover then get an older defender, still pants but at least they are fixable without a PC.

Cheers

Ben

Hammers again Ben :z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com