Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Hmmm, a bit nippy walking back from the Post Office, it's getting to the time of year that I enjoy curling up on the settee with a good book :z3

Might start off with one of Chris Yates books that I picked up at the Game Fair, I haven't read any of his before :cool:

It has been a great season, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time on the river!

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: End of season and a nip in the air ... How was yours?
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2014 at 07:19 »
The season is only just really starting for me  :wink

Managed a good double thanks to a certain Mr. S Smith last Saturday and I hope to have a few more.

I have plenty of nymphs/shrimps and bugs tied to help with winkling out a few Tayside Torpedoes in the coming months.

And I have several projects on the lathe/whipping station ready to be finished :)

As for the game season, started off bad, went worse. Lots of lost salmon, lost net, lost reel, only a few small trout up to a pound..and lots of missed days due to problems at home :(

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2014 at 18:04 »
Well, now i've finally found a moment to myself when i can't go out to fish, i too can get to musing over what has been my personal best season :z16

I'm sitting roasting the remains of last weeks pumpkin to make a nice spicy soup, so with glass of wine in hand i find it rather pleasant to reflect on what for some seems to have been a disappointing season for the bigger tourists, i had a couple of of fresh ones in the late spring, both on the Dry fly while chasing gold, but i haven't seen any since. Not even seen fresh ones moving with the nice water over the last few weeks :z10 However the Sea-trout were a different story.

My early season exploits with the brownies are fairly well documented on the Don pages, however i haven't really been after them since the beginning of August, so there wasn't much else to add, it was my best season by a long way, according to the returns i had well over a hundred fish greater than a pound, all on the dryfly, 1/3 were over 2lb with half a dozen 3lb+ and 4 over the magic 4lb mark. I have still yet to land one over 5lb, so an amazing season all in, with some startling relevations.

This was the season i decided to fish with the minimal flies i could carry and the first time i actually managed to achieve that objective, a bit of experimentation but fundamentally i carried the whole season on 5 patterns (and 2 of those are basically the same with a different wing, another 2 of those are the same pattern in different colours and the last is my all time favourite) It worked :z16 Not changing flies very much, meant i have spent following my own advice so lots of looking, some carefully well timed casting and a good dollop of rivercraft, it has been great getting to know the river again and i think age has meant i understand her a whole lot more. I also spent a lot of time with my fibreglass rods and they are wonderful things to fish with, a lot like cane but more accessible, they have helped me improve my approach to the fish and have heightened the pleasure in catching fish. On the whole a great experience for the whole year and many of the high points have been shared with a few people whose company i have loved :z16

Since August..................

We get to the  Sea trout, another story all together :z3 its been somewhat hit or miss all year for them until mid september. I had a lot of finnock early season on the fly and a couple of nice sea-trout during the year on an evening, however the last 6 weeks have been amazing :z12 I reckon i've had well over a hundred fish out of the ythan, almost all bright silver and fresh, about half were mature sea-trout and half Finnock, most of them were relatively small 1.25-1.75lb, but i've had a good few over the 2- 2.5lb mark, most on the fly (1 pattern, in fact the same fly :z3 and it is still good, if a little ragged)
It was great to be able to take fresh fish right up to the last few days of the season, the odd one still had sea lice too.

This is my pen-ulitmate fish of the year, just starting to darken slightly, caught on the 30th with "the' fly

Still a bonny wee fish about 1.25lb firm and acrobatic. its these wee devils that have occupied me almost obsessively the last few weeks, what a great way to end a fantastic year :z18

I've a few rods to build over the winter and quite a few flies to tie (although not many patterns 6 for all species!!!) so i'm looking forward to communicating a bit more and hearing how some of you have faired this year too :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2014 at 19:55 »
Great post Sandy ..... sounds like the last couple of months have been fun :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 07/11/2014 at 10:11 »
Cracking post Sandy, been quite a season for you.  :z16

For me plenty highlights and too many to pick them all out, especially as this makes the guts of a forthcoming ESF script  :wink
But a couple I can say are the amazing half hour i had on the Deveron where I hooked three fish in three casts, first three six, next four two and third which I lost (nylon cut on the troots teeth) was over five easy. Sitting down I felt deflated for a while after loosing it, especially as there was a forth trophy in the same run I'm sure I'd have nailed as well.  :shock
Anyway after a wee word with myself I accepted it as one of those things, and enjoyed the fact I'd just nailed two magnificent troots anyway.

Big fish catch rate was definitely down on previous years but still pretty respectable, more than a doz over the magical three, one over four and an amazing twenty plus over two.

Made it to Fionn Loch in Gairloch and hope to lead a wee jaunt back up there next June for any who fancy a week in amazing scenery and amazing fishing.  The place was fantastic and despite the big troots not showing we still managed a hundred a day average and some over the pound which isn't too shabby.

Gaining my first ever Scotland Cap was another highlight after twenty plus years of trying. Dead chuffed.

Nailing my first grayling off the Tummel in September was another wee triumph, not big but very enjoyable just the same.

Roll on 2015.   :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 07/11/2014 at 10:20 »
Great stuff Allan ...... looks like you've enjoyed a great season too :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2014 at 19:55 »
Well done on the Cap Allan, its well deserved :z18

Looks like its been a good year for the brownies, for quite a few of us :z16

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 09/11/2014 at 08:31 »
Thanks guys. Yup good browns showed up a lot, hopefully we can find em again next season.

Julius

« Reply #8 on: 15/11/2014 at 15:37 »

"fundamentally i carried the whole season on 5 patterns "

very interesting - Would Mr Spiderman share please  :shock :z17?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 15/11/2014 at 17:35 »
I will be............ :wink

But there's no secrets, they are all well talked about this year :z18

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 20/11/2014 at 07:37 »
hi all

Apologies for lack of recent posting/contribution. Been swamped since end of Sept and barely had time to even look in here.

2014 was a great season on the rivers for me, with a few 3lbers, a few 2lbers, and one memorable encounter with a 5lb+ cannibal that munched the tiddler I had hooked.

I reverted to using CDC based flies exclusively, and stuck to two basic patterns for pretty much the entire time. I enjoyed that approach; kept the flees simple and generic, and fished with confidence that they would work.

One pattern was a shuttlecock style with a wing facing over the hook eye, and the other with the wing slanting backwards over the hook bend. Basically an emerger, and a dun/sedge/generic surface pattern. Don't have a good picture to hand, but imagine a quill body, or plain thread body, and usually a small thorax of hare's ear or similar, and 3-4 CDC tips, and you are there. Sizes from 14s in early season down to 20s later on. The open secret was finding out how to dry and restore CDC and keep the same flee fishing all day.

Fished with some good anglers, moved around a lot and fished dozens of different places, had a couple of trips to Assynt and even squished in a fleeting return to N Uist.

Ended the season a day or two early by adding a wee black labrador to my fishing kit for next season, and have spent most of my spare time bonding with my new fishing buddy.

Only a few weeks til the season starts again...
iain,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 20/11/2014 at 08:50 »
Great stuff Iain, loving your new fishing buddy :z16

And the secret of how to dry and restore CDC and keep the same flee fishing all day is? ............................................

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #12 on: 20/11/2014 at 20:34 »
not much of a secret, just found a practical way to dispense & use Frog's Fanny on the riverbank. Amazing stuff, it dries and restores CDC feathers no matter how slimy and soggy they are. The FF comes commercially in a tiny smallmouth bottle with a brush. Err, any sort of breeze and it blows away. Useless.  Decant it into an old camera film canister, and you can dip in your flies, job done.

Course, it's hideously expensive stuff.... the real secret was tracking down bulk quantities. I've got a 8 and one quarter pints of the stuff stashed away. Should keep me going (and floating) for a while.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 21/11/2014 at 09:58 »
it dries and restores CDC feathers no matter how slimy and soggy they are.

but the real 'secret' is to wash it off well with water if its slimy and give it a quick pad with a towel before treating it  :wink

Iain Cameron

« Reply #14 on: 21/11/2014 at 20:19 »
but the real 'secret' is to wash it off well with water if its slimy and give it a quick pad with a towel before treating it  :wink

Yup, agree with that. Which is why I carry a couple of old rags in my pockets to dry and rough up the cdc feathers. They are amazingly resilient, and look better a little scruffed up.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com