Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Loch Brownies
« Reply #15 on: 22/06/2013 at 18:14 »
You won't need one Eddie, the loch's not that big!
It's the kind of place you just anchor up, kick back, relax and have fun with fish.

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #16 on: 22/06/2013 at 18:45 »
Sounds good.

I was on a loch not too far from my house for the first time yesterday. We caught some small trout up to about 10 ounces but I feel that a bit more research is needed to fish it properly. I cant believe that this particular loch has boats on it and I have been travelling to Assynt and Durness for years and I can get to a decent sized loch in under an hour.

Eddie. :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #17 on: 22/06/2013 at 19:02 »
...that fish seems to have a gill-plate edge-eating parasite.  (on the fin as well)

hi Marc

that's worrying - i don't like the possibility of spreading infection. :-(
Any more info?
Here's a close up of the gill & fin:

cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #18 on: 22/06/2013 at 19:04 »
You won't need one Eddie, the loch's not that big!
It's the kind of place you just anchor up, kick back, relax and have fun with fish.

Ed, Euan & others - i'm trying to arrange a couple of dates (needless to say finding one date when all can manage isn't easy!).

Bit concerned re Marc's comment about parasites though, so let's see if any more info about that surfaces. In meantime, my boat net has been outdoors all week drying, so it should be clean anyways. (not that I was safety conscious, I just left it at the back door and forgot about it)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #19 on: 22/06/2013 at 21:50 »
Iain,
next week during the week is out for me. The weekend is okay and the following weekend I have something on all weekend but after that I am good to go.

Eddie. :z18

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #20 on: 23/06/2013 at 00:19 »
That's one of my favourite lochs Iain. As you say, there has always been a head of small wild brownies but they started including stocked brownies last year and they have really over-wintered well. The boats are completely useless I agree, way too light and no draught. Ancor ropes not long enough for the deep part either.  There used to be a bigger heavier fibre glass boat but it has disappeared this year for some reason? Maybe because with it and the other two 'coricles' in the boathouse, one of them always stuck out and got filled with rain...

Evening tickets still available from 17:00hrs Hamish.

Ewan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #21 on: 23/06/2013 at 14:54 »
If its known that they now stock with fully grown brownies wouldn't damage like in the pic be common enough in stockies?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 23/06/2013 at 15:40 »
If its known that they now stock with fully grown brownies wouldn't damage like in the pic be common enough in stockies?

No, that should not happen Noel, as long as you're getting grade one stock and checking them before you allow them off the pick-up :wink

Cheers
Mike

Broontroot

« Reply #23 on: 25/06/2013 at 18:41 »
Some bonny troot there Iain, sounds like a great wee place for a day oot

Broontroot

« Reply #24 on: 25/06/2013 at 18:46 »
Iain, do they allow float tubes on the water, i wouldnt fancy a dodgy boat.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #25 on: 26/06/2013 at 11:54 »
Iain, do they allow float tubes on the water, i wouldnt fancy a dodgy boat.

The estate is fine with float tubes being used as long as it's agreed in advance (ie when you call up and book).
cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #26 on: 26/06/2013 at 11:56 »
That's one of my favourite lochs Iain. As you say, there has always been a head of small wild brownies but they started including stocked brownies last year and they have really over-wintered well. The boats are completely useless I agree....

hi Ewan - your use of coracles to describe the boats made me grin - it's about right!! Even steve redgrave would struggle to get the buggers to track straight.

Does look like the brownies have grown on very well indeed, nice!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com