Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin Moss

Whats happening this week at the Glen
« on: 17/06/2013 at 10:29 »
Glen of Rothes trout and coarse fishery

It was a week where small flies dominated as fish fed closer to the top and there was days where dries did very well and the hatches of insects reflected fish activity and the action for anglers.When the blazing sun came out(we dont often get a chance to say that) fish did drop down a bit and reverting to brighter coloured patterns was the key to fish then with white,orange and yellow becoming the taking colour.In the main it was patterns like cdc,black spiders,elk hairs,kates,emergers,buzzers and pennels which took the host of fish.
Fish may have seemed lethargic at times untill they were hooked and then sprung into life,fighting well and certainly a splash of fresh water will certainly help after this dry spell,hopefully returning back to dry and the fishing will continue to be very good as it has been in the past few months.
Some examples of returns this week in no particular order were,Ronnie Ewen who had 13 fish with a cracker at 10lbs,Alec Brown had 10 fish,hamish Munro also 10 with a fish just under the 5lbs,Barry Ward had a good day with a nice fish of 9lb 8ozs,Kev Middlemiss enjoyed a 16 fish  in 6 hours with his best at 8lb 1oz,John Mellon had 7 and his best at 6lb 9oz,Tom Webster travelled up for the day  from Glasgow and had a good few hours with 12 fish best at 4lbs along with first timer Glen Valentine who managed a respectable 4 fish on his first ever fly trip,George Downing had a 4lb 6oz fish,Jim walker  anice fish of 6lbs,Charlie McPhee of Peterhead had  9 fish and Brother Colin had 3 fish with a nice one of just over 6lbs.IainCameron from Aberdeen had  a good  4 hours returning 12 fish including a small brown on size 16 emerger patterns,Craig Thompson had a fish of 7lbs,and Dave Vennard on a cdc had a fish just over the 8lb mark returned according to anglers who helped out and it looked a good size from the hut, as we tried to get down for a picture, but got it back rather than hold it in the water too long.
We will be taking in some larger specimens this week so please allow for this when tackling up.All night compy starts at 10pm Sat 22nd and finishes at 6am on Sunday and should be a good fun evening for everyone.

Coarse loch

The coarse loch is now certainly fishing very well and anglers are enjoying some very good fishing and booking is really essential here these days to avoid disappointment especially on weekends.
Those anglers using the pole are doing well and catching good mixed bags using soft pellet bait and maggot.Some examples of catches were,Gary Gormley had 2 good trips ,,fishing a couple of hours in the evening he had nearly 20lb of Carp with some silvers among them and then again onthe next trip had a good mix of ide,roach,bream and Carp to over 6lbs.Dave Latty had plenty of skimmers and a Carp of 7lb,John Allsop landed over 40 fish of carp,ide,rudd and bream,Rob Brownfield,scott arthur,Valerie Arthur and Sarah Arthur had ide,gudgeon and trout,Neil Scowan had roach and ide.

All pictures of fish contained in the report can be found on our facebook and website.

Good to see both Iain and Rob this week.very enjoyable time spent with them both.Those brownies Rob I can assure you are all wildies and never been stocked there is 2 burns which run into that loch and another which runs into the main lochs of the fly,so maybe that's where the different colours come from.Cant beat the old tenkara  :wink.Hope you all enjoyed your day.New rod coming soon Iain lol.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Whats happening this week at the Glen
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2013 at 10:48 »
Hi Kev,
I scuttled away before I could chat with you as I had to get to Nairn to pick up the monster and I was soaked and miserable!! lol.

I had Ide, Rudd, Trout and and eel. I hooked a very big carp that stretched the no. 18 eleastic to its limit. I got the fish away from the reeds, but it decided it wanted to head across to the far bank.

Despite having the full 13.5m of pole and a good 10-15m of stretched elastic, I lost it when the size 14 hook straightened. It was certainly one of the big doubles and took 2 maggots in the margins. Thats when I decided to pack up in a sulk! ;)

It is strange as the last time I fished that peg with the same tactics I had loads of carp. They all seemed to be across at peg 5 yesterday!!!

I shall be back with different tactics next time!!!..and maybe a 3 weight fly rod for the Rudd ;)

Kevin Moss

« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2013 at 11:03 »
It was good to see you and Iain yesterday Rob,enjoyed playing about with the casting and thast what its all about.Its not just angler and managers but fun for us all.
Those carp are moving about well.As for the ide and others on the fly,that is fun,quick wee things but great sport on the fly,especially dries.
The browns are all wild they don't get stocked,too expensive and I get these free from 3 burns and some good sizes they are now after nearly 19 years of being open and plenty of feeding in the water and matured now.

Hope to see you all again and enjoyed the changes(nice road eh lol)Wait till we get to plan B.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2013 at 11:18 »
Hope to see you all again and enjoyed the changes(nice road eh lol)Wait till we get to plan B.

I am waiting for Plan C, full commercail water for the Match guys and a stunning Carp lake..I think we will call it Millcarpies ;)

Kevin Moss

« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2013 at 11:22 »
Well Rob you know how the coarse loch is getting,maybe plans are afoot :z4

The Glen always surprises :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 17/06/2013 at 11:56 »
The Glen always surprises :wink

Yip...turning up with a pocket full of change and no lunch, thinking I will indulge in a burger or three only to see the burger van has gone was indeed a surprise!.

You need a Starbucks ;)

Kevin Moss

« Reply #6 on: 19/06/2013 at 20:36 »
For all those attending the all night bash on Saturday 22nd.Dont forget to bring along your cash if your buying at the auction or bring along any unwanted tackle you wish to sell and you can place a reserve on the items if you don't want them going for a below value price so you don't lose out. BBQ  and drinks during the night .The forecast is for light rain but not all night and temperature around 12 to 13degrees so should be fine.Look forward to a good night.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com