Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Shetland après work fishing
« on: 13/06/2013 at 21:34 »
Was recently asked if I would be willing to go to Shetland to do a few days work. I said YES!!!!!! After several changes of plan I ended up being there for 5 nights 3 of which I got to go exploring and fishing.
I had a lot of correspondence with a fellow forum member which helped immensely. I won't reveal who that was, I'm sure he will join in if he chooses.
In short if you ever get the opportunity go. I loved the place and the few people I spoke to were wonderfully laid back and easy going. It's a different pace of life up there, a pace I'd forgotten about and could do with getting back to!
It's stunningly beautiful.
I fished several lochs from big famous ones to little puddles that could hardly be called loch's at all  :wink
3 nights fishing, first one blanked, second one bagged up and third one got one tiddler. My best fish I had about midnight on a dry. Their was a hatch of olives and huge fish moving all around....exciting stuff
Some pics

Mike Barrio

Re: Shetland après work fishing
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2013 at 21:45 »
Hi Noel :z16

Great stuff, looks awesome and cracking photos and fish .... thanks for sharing! :z12

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2013 at 22:35 »
Noel I'm jealous, looks like a great time after work?  Were you in the North or the South of the island?

Can I nominate that last one as pic of the year? :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2013 at 08:20 »

I thought it was Shetland, Not New Zealand :z4 :z4

Great pictures, looks like a whole lot of fun :z16

Sandy

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2013 at 08:27 »
Fantastic Noel  :z16 Great to see some fish and one of my favourite lochs on the Island (or at least the grass of it! :wink)
Interestingly enough...did you fish the sea around that top photo?!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2013 at 08:39 »
Once I get my daughter over the fear of boats, Shetland is my first stop!!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2013 at 09:07 »
Woah how did I end up on my head? Not the first time I've asked myself that....
Jonathan I didn't fish there or any salt. I showed those pics to a guy at work who has fished the islands for years and he told me it was one of his favourite spots.... So many places so little time.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2013 at 09:34 »
Sooperb stuff Noel looks like a crackin time, roll on August when i head up there for a week  :z16

Still plenty room on the trip guys if anyone else fancies it, it'll be a blast.

Sea troot will be on the agenda as well as potentially the cream of surface broonie sport on a simply amazing array of quality waters, and if that's not enough then the opportunities for SWFF are a plenty.

Good to see some of my past haunts there as well Noel and a couple of crackin troots there.

Cheers

Allan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2013 at 11:02 »
Thanks Allan  :z16 That August trip should be awesome. Are ye staying on the mainland or travelling further?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 14/06/2013 at 12:44 »
Noel,
nice report and bonny troots.

Eddie. :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 14/06/2013 at 13:13 »
Mainland for the most part but might take in a wee foray to some of the outer isles if advised from my resident Shetland angling guru (Rod Bender catching Davie Pottinger)

Been to most of the outer isles (even Foula) previously and fantastic experience each and every one.
Have something a wee bit special lined up via my mate Gordon Williamston when we're up there (wee boat ride to uninhabited isles and a bit of swff to boot) so looking forward to it, almost countin the days already.

Cheap holiday (circa £550 all in inc spendies) and accomodation looks perfect for anglers.

Full details on the Outcasts section.

Cheers

Allan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 14/06/2013 at 14:36 »
Looks grand Neol some lovely fish there  :z16

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 14/06/2013 at 17:04 »
I'm sure it will be an awesome trip Allan and I really wish I could justify taking another week off work this year.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com