Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin Moss

Glen of Rothes trout fishery

A great week of sunshine which is good for a tan but not so good for fishing when the sun is high making the best of the sport on the day in the morning and late evenings which did produce the goods.During the day it was a case of searching out shaded water and going deeper with bright coloured flies to attract fish.Dry fly early and late worked welll such as cdc,s,spiders,greenwells,sedge patterns all worked very well.Those who had both floating and intermediate lines all ready and carried were on the money and its best to carry both at this time of year.Some of this weeks catches in no particular order were.John Mckenzie with a cracking 12lb fish among his 9 caught,KevMiddlemiss had 4 blues with his best at 4lb 4ozs,George Stewart jnr had a nice 5lb Blue,Gordon Grant had 17 fish with 2 between 4 and 6lbs returned,Neil Smith had a good fish of 10lbs exactly,Tim Wright had only Browns for his day out,Archie Miller had a 6 lb fish,Billy Campbell had 8 fish on dries,Colin Simpson released a fish of around 7lbs,Stuart Garden had a fish of 8lb 5ozs and his next one was 7lbs in weight,Paul Keir had 15 fish mainly on a white fritz in hot conditions,Chris Johnston also had a nice fish of around 7 lbs,Charlie McPhee had 7 fish on buzzers and Anthony Brownless a nice blue to the bank.Again many recorded lost fish due to breakages and the emphasis has to be on using a decent strength nylon to avoid breakages and lost fish.The Floodlight competition is on 22/23rd of June and only a few places remain for this now.If interested contact the fishery.Auction of anglers tackle and BBQ on the night with 10% of proceeds going to charity and the angler retains the rest of sale from items.
We have had a new visitor over the last week of a Golden Eagle adding to the wide variety of wildlife and birds that visit.Along with the first cuckoos of the season.As normal with the Osprey chicks now born,parents are visiting regular to keep up feed for the youngsters.

Coarse Loch

Fishing has stepped up this week and fish have responded as expected to the warm weather.Carp have certainly been a prominent feature with Gary Gormley taking carp to just over 5lbs,Keith Bodel had carp,and perch and an eel,Toby Box had Carp to 5lbs and roach,Dave Latty had plenty of roach,John Allsopp had carp,ide and bream,Mark Barsby had a very good session with a carp into double figures which was his best with ide and roach and Dave varity had roach,ide,carp and perch.Best baits were again pellet,maggot and soft pellet.

Pleae note all fish mentioned in report can be viewed on our website and facebook pages.

A good Carp coming to the net.
The resulting Carp just over 5lb.
A nice 7lber returned

Mike Barrio

Re: Anglers enjoying the sun and good specimens at the Glen
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2013 at 12:32 »
Nice photos Kevin :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Kevin Moss

« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2013 at 12:46 »
Cheers Mike,hope your enjoying your retirement :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2013 at 13:07 »
Hope to get up next weekend Kev, Sunday. Will confirm ASAP.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 10/06/2013 at 13:32 »
Cheers Mike,hope your enjoying your retirement :wink

:z4  :z4  :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 17/06/2013 at 07:31 »
After being chased across a field by angry coos and having to jump thigh deep into the Don to make my escape, I fancied a more relaxing day on Sunday and so headed on up to Glen of Rothes fishery.

Caught up with Rob who was catching trout from the coarse pond... Then had a chilled afternoon session catching up with a few nice fishes on wee ish emergers and sedges, including a wee bonus brownie too. The fish seemed relaxed too, rolling up and sipping in the flies neatly. I missed a few, caught a few. All good. Much as I love being on the river, it's grand to be able to make a backcast unimpeded for a change.

I've fished the Glen at least once a season for many years; always plenty of space, plenty of rising fish (usually), and there are islands and reeds and nooks and crannies to make it interesting. It's not a particularly demanding fishery to fish - flat, open ground, and narrow channels means that fish are always nearby -  and was perfect yesterday for a relaxed outing. And at a tenner for 4hrs C&R, great value.

Had an interesting chat with Kevins Moss & Dawson after, and we playing with Kevin D's new Sintrix 6# on the grass - lovely rod, did its job quietly, no fuss, no drama, just got on with it. Nice. Picked up a few hints from the two of them; always pays to listen to casting instructors when you catch them mucking about!

It's a great option for a day trip - cracking scenery there and en route, and a well managed fishery. Not sure about the sasage roll that Rob was eating though :-)

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2013 at 08:27 »
I feel dirty! Is it ok to catch Brownies on a 12m "Tenkara" rod ;)

I must point out that I was catching Ide and Rudd before Iain "the Jinx" Cameron turned up with his "Brownie fairy dust".

I actually had 6 Brownies during the day, all fin perfect and in cracking condition, and two different colour strains. As this top loch is not stocked with Brownies, I wonder if one colour strain is from the burn, and the other are fish that have come down the burn and taken up residency in the loch.

I also had the greenest eel I have ever seen in my life! It was a bright moss colour. Amazing!.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com