Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: Which Net?
« Reply #15 on: 08/06/2013 at 09:03 »
When it comes to your river trout fishing, what sort of net do you favour? Wooden, long handled, deep netted, shallow netted, one that has built in scales perhaps? What do you look for in a practical trout net for the river?

I've used the Snowbee  15090 / 15150 Aluminium Frame Hand Trout Nets for a couple of years now.

Simple, practical - there's a bungee cord concealed within the handle; clip to D-ring, reach behind, pull out, net fish, let go.

Been very, very good and versatile. No fuss, no drama, though not the most elegant.

The smaller one isn't so great - a bit too wee, a bit of a diddy size i always feel - 15x11" - and has knotless net bag rather than mesh.

The larger net is maybe a bit toooo big - hoop is 22x17 inches. Its net of micro mesh is 19" deep. The bungee cord on mine extends 40" - in practical terms, if i'm standing, that's enough reach to allow my left arm to fully straighten out in front of me while the net is still clipped to the D-ring on my back.

They've re-launched it for 2013 with a wider hexagonal mesh of 10x10mm - and at £20, I'd recommend it.
(link - https://shop.snowbee.co.uk/shopretail/product_info.php?cPath=2_40_43&products_id=1407&osCsid=vrhf8kk2si06vt4bj9v00jsi06)

If they did one with alumunium frame, 17 or 18" across, and shallow mesh, I'd buy another!

It doesn't of course let you net fish from high banks etc.

It does work very well in a float tube.

I *hate* the fold out nets with the spring clip - I'm forever dropping mine when I kneel or sit down and the handle hits the ground, pushing the spring clip out of the D-ring... grrrrrrrr!!! I reserve that for boat use.

In general - mesh is better for me; fewer tangles. Bungee is good; hands free, no hassle. I don't like the flip out/fold out ones so much; one more thing to go wrong when playing a fish...

I've just bought a Mcleans weight net. Hmmm. Can't use it til the clip on accessories arrive, so the jury's out

cheers
iain

Will Shaw

« Reply #16 on: 08/06/2013 at 20:40 »
I have the Maclean. It has a fine (shallower) micromesh net bag which is way better than the std. variety available in the UK. I got mine in NZ. The strange thing is that they do all their models in both micromesh and the larger (not as good) mesh. Why we only have the larger mesh disributed in the UK is a mystery.

I like the look of the new Wychwood nets. Good size and sensible mesh.

W.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #17 on: 09/06/2013 at 15:10 »
sorry folks for the delay...  :roll

here's the rubber coated net bag and carbon net frame made by Pafex in France.
the same bag has replaced the original McLean. 'same frame size)
it looks better with a fish in it but with thunderstorms that's not gonna happen today...

bag = 13€ in stores
http://www.pafex.fr/PAFEX-EPUISETTES.pdf

cheers,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #18 on: 09/06/2013 at 15:20 »
just saw the McLean site, they have the perfect rubber-coated bag. they also weigh up to 14 lbs, not 6 like we have here.
i don't think it's distributed in Europe...

http://www.mcleanangling.co.nz

Will Shaw

« Reply #19 on: 12/06/2013 at 13:35 »
Excellent. Just the job. Need to get Guide Flyfishing to import them.

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 25/06/2013 at 14:22 »

I've ordered a Wychwood Rover net, looks interesting and if it doesn't fall to bits it should be good for the river :z3

Will let you know how I get on with it :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 03/07/2013 at 11:36 »
Rover Net arrived, it is big, very big for a trout net ...... I'd be happy to use it for salmon :z4

The rubberised netting feels good and has a good depth for C&R, the extending handle feels good for landing trout from a high bank and the clip looks right for hanging off the D ring on your back. In general the net feels of good quality.

The Rover 18" Trout net has been created for the mobile angler on the bank ...... first thoughts are that it feels more like it has been designed by a stillwater or boat angler to me and the flip over self-locking net head design doesn't self lock, I think it is going to need a bit of help with the locking bit :z4

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with it and will need to get it out on the river to see how it performs :wink At worst, I've got a very nice fishery net :z4

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 04/07/2013 at 15:51 »
first thoughts are that it feels more like it has been designed by a stillwater or boat angler

I believe it started off life as a roving net for Barbel anglers but was adapted for "multi-use" later.

After all, the fish do not know the net was not for them :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #23 on: 04/07/2013 at 17:32 »
Mike

How long is it without the handle extended ?

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 04/07/2013 at 18:09 »
Hi Jim,

The pear shaped net head is approx 18 X 24 inches. The net and handle in the normal position are approx 5 ft long and in the extended position just under 7 ft long.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #25 on: 04/07/2013 at 18:48 »
Mike

We adopted the metric system in 1971, our younger readers will have no idea  :z4 5ft is to long for a river net in my opinion so I'll cross that one off the list.

Jim   

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #26 on: 04/07/2013 at 19:40 »
might double as a wading staff ? (or maybe a fly retriever...   :z4 )

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 04/07/2013 at 19:46 »
Mike

We adopted the metric system in 1971, our younger readers will have no idea  :z4 5ft is to long for a river net in my opinion so I'll cross that one off the list.

Jim   

2 ft of net plus 3 ft of handle used to be pretty much the river standard Jim? It feels a bit like the old Sharpe's folding Sea Trout Nets

Jim Eddie

« Reply #28 on: 04/07/2013 at 20:35 »
Sorry Mike I thought you meant the handle was 5ft

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 04/07/2013 at 20:47 »
Great stuff, I thought I might be confusing everybody .... sorry :oops

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com