Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Which Net?
« on: 05/06/2013 at 18:18 »
When it comes to your river trout fishing, what sort of net do you favour? Wooden, long handled, deep netted, shallow netted, one that has built in scales perhaps? What do you look for in a practical trout net for the river?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

Re: Which Net?
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2013 at 18:47 »
hey Mike, i really like the MacLain weigh net  :z16 (with the bag replaced for a much 'friendlier' rubber-coated mesh)
it's cool to finally have an idea of how much they weigh as opposed to just length.
however, the frame itself isn't all that important, it's the bag.
40-50cm deep
wide configuration of the bottom (no pointy towards the bottom type thing that forces the fish's head to the bottom, scratches their eyes and the gills get caught in the net when pulled out  :cry)
rubber or rubber coated ! fish loose a lot less slime (and it doesn't stay on the net ! no stink !), the fish can easily slide out if you do a 'dip-the-net-release',  flies don't get stuck, dries right away and rubber is sexy !  it's all good !  :z16  :z4 :z13

cheers,
marc

danbruce

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2013 at 18:54 »
Hi Marc,

Where do you get the replacement rubber coated bag from? Like you i like the mcleans net but not too keen on the mesh bag.
For my trout fishing this year i have been using the short handled mcleans weigh net and the filp out telescopic mcleans weigh net. Not had much worth weighing this season though. :oops

Cheers,
Dan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2013 at 19:34 »
I found the rubber coated nets that I used at Haddo made a huge difference to the condition of the trout. They were shallow pan nets and were sold for coarse fishing.

Not sure where we could source replacement rubber netting like this ..... sounds like a good exercise :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2013 at 19:35 »
Hi Marc,

Where do you get the replacement rubber coated bag from? Like you i like the mcleans net but not too keen on the mesh bag.
For my trout fishing this year i have been using the short handled mcleans weigh net and the filp out telescopic mcleans weigh net. Not had much worth weighing this season though. :oops

Cheers,
Dan

Dan

Like Marc and a few other folk on the forum,I hated the net in the Mcleans weigh net. I changed it for one of these.

http://www.fastnetsports.com/replacement-parts.html

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2013 at 19:50 »
This one. The reach is essential in a lot of the places I fish. I must get one of those nets in jimbo's link which will be an improvement for sure.
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/mclean-telescopic-hinged-tri-weigh-fishing-net.html

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2013 at 07:55 »
I am a Wychwood fan. The Rover net is your standard flip up, extendable handled net in trout and salmon sizes. The rubber mesh is a deep spoon shape so no seams or "pockets" for the trout to get caught up in.

I use their super lightweight scoop net when wading, although this does have a more conventional mesh. If it were rubber I would have been happier.

SPRO also do a range of nets designed for river anglers, with a bigger rubber mesh to allow water to flow through easier when trying to wave a big net about in a fast current. Although designed for coarse fishing (Barbel, Chub and Pike), there Big Fish Rubber net is perfect for Salmon anglers.

I am surprised so much fuss is made of felt soled waders when wet nets can and probably do carry just as much risk. Bring on the rubber!!

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 06/06/2013 at 08:18 »
Like Marc and a few other folk on the forum,I hated the net in the Mcleans weigh net. I changed it for one of these.

http://www.fastnetsports.com/replacement-parts.html

Cheers Jim, looks good.  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2013 at 08:26 »
I'm getting the same as Noel has, had never seen one in the flesh and it looks cracking.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 06/06/2013 at 22:08 »

Where do you get the replacement rubber coated bag from?

a store in Toulouse... BUT ! the brand is on the bag, the net is in the van (several streets away), so, i'll get to it tomorrow with info and a pic. :)

cheers,
marc

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 06/06/2013 at 22:15 »
Toulouse that's a Treck  :z4

Jim

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 06/06/2013 at 22:58 »
but only a short one...   :roll :roll :roll

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 06/06/2013 at 23:10 »

Mais bien sūr!

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 07/06/2013 at 00:14 »
Toulouse that's a Treck  :z4

Smirk  :z13

Iain Cameron

« Reply #14 on: 07/06/2013 at 12:10 »

Ha, very funny!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com