Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Fishing in New Zealand
« on: 24/05/2013 at 15:59 »
Just starting to investigate a few details "just in case" and I have been told by the agent that fly tying materials are banned, under no circumstance try and take anything with me.

So how does that work for flies?  Most of my streamers contain large amounts of rabbit, marabou and other assorted bits of animal and bird! I have been told to dress certain flies, but they are all made from natural materials.

The agent says its fine as they are flies.

Anyone know the rules..I don't want several hundred quids worth of flies taken off of me and phoning New Zealand border agency from work is a no no.

Cheers

Mike Barrio

Re: Fishing in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2013 at 17:10 »

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 25/05/2013 at 09:48 »
phoning New Zealand border agency from work is a no no.

So phone them from home :z18

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 25/05/2013 at 11:23 »
Just starting to investigate a few details "just in case" and I have been told by the agent that fly tying materials are banned, under no circumstance try and take anything with me.

So how does that work for flies?  Most of my streamers contain large amounts of rabbit, marabou and other assorted bits of animal and bird! I have been told to dress certain flies, but they are all made from natural materials.

The agent says its fine as they are flies.

Anyone know the rules..I don't want several hundred quids worth of flies taken off of me and phoning New Zealand border agency from work is a no no.

Cheers

Rob

Why don't you e-mail them - http://fishing.fishandgame.org.nz/content/fishing-faq

If you can't find what you are looking for or for more information on any topic, please contact your local Fish & Game office or the New Zealand Council on (04) 499 4767 or by email: NZCouncil@fishandgame.org.nz.

or this one http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/didymo/freshwater-angler-information

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 27/05/2013 at 08:05 »
So phone them from home :z18

Sandy

Figuritive Sandy..lol.

I e-mailed, cheaper (been living in Scotland too long) and got a very confusing mail back from some agency or other.

Seems that I cannot take in anything made with fur or feather but flies are ok!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/05/2013 at 08:06 »
Thanks for the links Jim, I e-mailed but got no closer to an answer.

From what I have read in articles etc, seems flies are ok, even though they contain fur and feather.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2013 at 00:48 »
Rob,

I was über nervous about carrying gear with me and I can't really comment on the fly tying side but I did carry 6 boxes of flies with me which they didn't seem bothered about in the slightest.

The main things they were looking at were the soles of hiking boots and nets.

Cheers,

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2013 at 07:55 »
Rob,

I was über nervous about carrying gear with me and I can't really comment on the fly tying side but I did carry 6 boxes of flies with me which they didn't seem bothered about in the slightest.

The main things they were looking at were the soles of hiking boots and nets.

Many thanks..... I have eco trax soles so no issues :)...thats if I get there!!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 28/05/2013 at 10:24 »
Gents,

Whatever you do DO NOT try and take fly tying gear too Nigeria!

Not unless you want to be stuck at immigration for 2 1/2 hours explaining that you are there to work on oil rigs not perform black magic rituals :X1  :oops :X1

Pleased to say that $15 got me through and with my gear in tow  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 28/05/2013 at 11:55 »
perform black magic rituals :X1  :oops :X1

:z14 Classic!!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com