Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Fridays Fishing
« on: 21/05/2013 at 03:06 »
After no real Trout fishing in three years I had arranged a day on Fasque loch near Fettercairn with a friend, however an early morning text on Friday resulted in a change of plan which saw me and two friends heading instead into the Angus glens to a small loch called….. well lets just say its a hidden gem.
Leaving home at around 8.30 ( 30 seconds notice - Do you fancy taking your tube?)

we were tackled up around 10 with a fair wind blowing. A nice fishing wave as the Irish have it.

The view to the south

and the north

We opted to bank fish and started on the eastern shore. Some really small fish were trying to get caught

but only one 8 incher decided to stick!

He was safely returned to grow on a bit!

Lunch time!! Food beckoned.

However walking across the dam wall to the boathouse it struck me that an obvious area for trout was in the corner between the dam and the boathouse. This meant a cast straight into the wind, but hey nothing ventured………

Second cast and an honest 11" fish struck the tail fly, a march brown wet on a size 10 double hook, and after a spirited fight he was in the net. Yippee first brownie in a long time!

Lunch enjoyed and with the sun shining,and the wind blowing harder, two happy anglers set of in the boat to the top of the loch.

I headed up the south bank and fished downwind towards the boathouse.
This was obviously the better bank as a number fish in the 9-11”bracket came to the March Brown on the point and the Bibio on the top dropper.

Best fish of the day (for me at least) was knocking on for a pound in weight

…….biggest brownie in 3 years! A great day!!
Oh and we saw another fisher who had less success than us, maybe even His (or Her) eyes were less sharp because of the rough surface.

Check just above the hill left of centre

Noel Kelly

Re: Fridays Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2013 at 07:00 »
Nice report Peter, good to see you getting out again :z16 some nice pics as well even the long distance shot of that seagull.  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2013 at 07:08 »
Peter,
my son and I have fished that loch many times. They sometimes stock with a small amount of brownies from Stirling to supplement the wild stock. The biggest I have had was just over 3 pounds and if you are there again sometime go down below the dam wall and there are a couple of small pools in the outfall that can produce a real surprise to a well placed dry.

Glad to see it is still fishing well as I discussed a trip down there with a mate only 2 days ago.

Nice report and well done.

Eddie.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 21/05/2013 at 07:27 »
The biggest I have had was just over 3 pounds

I didn't mention that one of the others had a fish in the 2lb range  :X2 The keeper was saying they had stocked some fish this year, but not last, and he thought many of the fish stocked become naturalised over time.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 21/05/2013 at 07:29 »
I didn't mention that one of the others had a fish in the 2lb range  :X2 The keeper was saying they had stocked some fish this year, but not last, and he thought many of the fish stocked become naturalised over time.

Nice wee report Peter, and good to hear you getting into some trout after a loooong time!
cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 21/05/2013 at 08:50 »
Great stuff Peter and some nice photos :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 21/05/2013 at 08:56 »
Looks like a grand day out :z16

Some lovely pics too :z18 cheers Peter

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 21/05/2013 at 10:02 »
Very nice Peter, looks like a grand day out  :wink :z16

H :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 21/05/2013 at 10:25 »
Nice Report Peter, good you were able to get out. Iain and I tubed it afew years back, time for another visit methinks  :wink

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 21/05/2013 at 12:45 »
Good report Pete and good to see you out and about fishng in earnest again.  :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 21/05/2013 at 13:08 »
Nice Report Peter, good you were able to get out. Iain and I tubed it afew years back, time for another visit methinks  :wink

:z18

Jim

Naaah Jim its full of lovely trout, you wouldn't like it  :z13

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 21/05/2013 at 18:08 »
Well done Peter  :z16

nice fish and photo's.

Loverly venue

Iain

dryfly

« Reply #12 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:37 »
It is a lovely little loch, quite instantly recognizable from your photos. I have not fished it for some years but it used to be well stocked with quality browns  every year. Where are the permits sold now? It used to be the hotel in the village.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:46 »
Hi "dryfly"

I have removed the name of the loch from your post and the hotel name. We do our best not to name loch locations or river beats on the open forum please, forum members will usually contact each other via PM messages for further information :wink

Best wishes
Mike

dryfly

« Reply #14 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:53 »
Apologies I hadn't  realized that was the rule. I have not fished there for some time so was curious about the permitting arrangements.  I will PM the member. These days I tend to go to the Backwater farther down the glen  instead although there are no boats there of course.  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com