Re: DHE's
« Reply #45 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:19 »
Iain,
cracking flee.

Eddie.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #46 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:23 »
Looking good guys, I'll have to up my game a bit.
Sandy why not dispense with the dubbed body in preference to just the tying thread for the size 20's?  Might help reduce the bulk / help the profile?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #47 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:26 »
Guys,
when I did the 20 I tied it with a Waterhen bloa type body of waxed yellow silk with the tiniest amount of Mole dubbing to keep everything slim.

Even with my ancient eyes and ham fisted tying it seemed to come out not too bad. I would post a picture but flees in the garage and off to bed shortly because as Goolager pointed out previously, I am an auld mannie.

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #48 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:33 »
Night Night Eddie ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I tied it with a Waterhen bloa type body of waxed yellow silk with the tiniest amount of Mole dubbing

Tied a few like that myself in 12's , 14's  :z16

Iain

dryfly

« Reply #49 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:40 »
A wonderful fly my go to "damp" fly. Bob Wyatt excelled himself with that one.  :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #50 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:52 »
Well Alan.............. I don't know about that.................how about a caenis version

To get some perspective its a size 28 Marinaro hook

Inspired by Guinness, but i guess its all getting a bit daft now :z4 :z4

All good fun

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #51 on: 21/05/2013 at 22:56 »
I am definitely going to bed now, f***k me that is tiny.

Eddie :z14 :z14

Iain Goolager

« Reply #52 on: 21/05/2013 at 23:13 »
was that the missus that wrote the last bit :oops

Iain Cameron

« Reply #53 on: 22/05/2013 at 06:46 »
This is turning into a 'My DHE's smaller than yours'
Iain look and see if Maplins are still doing the desk magnifier lamp for £20.

Ah, good call. I could probably do with a telescope to view these 26s...
cheers
iain

dryfly

« Reply #54 on: 22/05/2013 at 07:16 »
Nice caenis but imitation is not the big issue when these flies abound and the logic of nearer the better is flawed.  Sheer numbers mean that even if your imitation is perfection it is highly unlikely  the fish will pick it from the masses. Safety in numbers is one of nature's most basic  survival strategies.  Just watch how the fish behave. Much better to go the other way. A size 8 muddler very often works.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #55 on: 22/05/2013 at 07:54 »
Hi "dryfly"

You will notice the fly came curtesy of Guinness :wink.
In a snowstorm i tend to use a Sugar Cube shipmans, although the hatch seems to interest the trout more if its on one of our stillwaters, rather than the river  :z8.

Sandy

dryfly

« Reply #56 on: 22/05/2013 at 08:00 »
You will notice the fly came curtesy of Guinness :wink.

Love it even  although I'm more of a Murphy's man! :) You certainly tie a mean looking fly, I wish I had your tying  skills.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #57 on: 22/05/2013 at 08:08 »
 :z18

Where about are you based? The DHE is fast becoming my goto pattern as well, so yes a big thanks to Bob, and quite a few of the guys on here who have persuaded me to keep trying with it. :z16 Now it floats , i'm happy :z7

Sandy

dryfly

« Reply #58 on: 22/05/2013 at 09:14 »
Where about are you based?

Dundee (yes I know).

I love good design and the DHE  is a design classic.

There are far too many flies “designed” for the wrong reasons,  like ego for example,  that  contribute nothing to fly fishing. Guys sit at a vice and “doodle”  with materials then give it some naff name like “The Cairngorm Killer”  or something equally daft.  These flies make no impact at all  on fishing other than further clutter your fly box when you are bored on a winter's evening.   They are fun to tie of course and if they help fight off cabin fever then fair enough, but really that's about all that can be said for them.

On the other hand every now and then something really useful like the DHE comes along. Wyatt has put thought  into this based on experimentation, skill and decades of  fishing experience all over the world, not just some hill loch packed with starving trout that will take anything you throw at them. Have you seen how his tying method has evolved? He now ties the wing in last, does not even bother hiding the clipped wing buts because why would you? He ribs with the thread and can knock up a DHE in a minute. That is real innovation. It's an education and his laid back presentation is a delight  to watch on the video.  I am told he is a helpful and quite modest man and says his DHE is really just a floating hares ear nymph! .  Respect!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #59 on: 22/05/2013 at 10:21 »
Cool nice and close to Perth and some good fishing :z16

I hear you as regards cabin fever, for me it either means rod building,fly tying or armchair fishing on the computer.
Flytying usually wins out, as you say it fills boxes and keeps an industry going :z7 but it's better than gettin frustrated stuck behind a screen, dreaming about it :z6 i think we all probably feel like that though :z18

I reckon fishing with Bob would probably be pretty cool too, his books are good.
I saw him on the Telly once and he struck me as being just like a lot of my tutors were at college.
Chilled :z13

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com