Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Re: DHE's
« Reply #30 on: 20/05/2013 at 22:24 »
Sandy,
Looking good, I have tied these on the small Orvis hooks without glasses and I am much older than any of you.

Have fun at the vice,

Eddie. :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 20/05/2013 at 22:47 »
Those look 'fishy' Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #32 on: 20/05/2013 at 22:59 »
Nice DHE's those Sandy, I'd fish them :z16

Good to know that it's only Iain & I who are blind  :z4

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 21/05/2013 at 00:26 »
nicely tied fly Sandy.

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #34 on: 21/05/2013 at 07:20 »
Looking good, I have tied these on the small Orvis hooks without glasses and I am much older than any of you.

I'm seriously thinking of one of the Stonefly magnifier attachments for the vice; too much squinting.

Been following this thread with interest after tying a bunch of 16s the other day. Got some 18 hooks waiting, but think will seek out some finer DH first.

Oh, I've been using Hareline Dubbin's "Hare's Ear Plus Dubbin Natural Hare's Ear #1", HET1 for the bodies. Allows a very fine (as in thin) body, with nice sparkle. And still with some spikiness too

i,

Matt Henderson

« Reply #35 on: 21/05/2013 at 08:55 »
I got a magnifying glass and lamp combo thingy off of Hobbycraft a few years back it makes a massive difference for tying small stuff.

Ah those were the days, time to tie flies in the evening after work!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 21/05/2013 at 11:49 »
So my first piece of Natural comparadun hair arrived this morning, Awesome service Orvis :z16 Still waiting for the Dun.

So I tried it out some size 20's to see if it would work, interesting experiment as the Hair works perfectly, but the bulk of the tying style might be a bit chunky for the smaller flies, i'm sure it will still work but its not as slim as i would like and i don't think i could tie it much lighter in this way, so for 20's and down i think i'll stick to klinks or DD style flies.
However for 16's and 18's i think it will be great :z16, extending my size range in DHE's and hopefully increasing some confidence.

Thanks for all the advice.

here is the flare on the size 20, it works spot on :z16

here is a profile shot along with the Size 12, so the profile and the wing are great just a wee bit on the clunky side, for an Ephemera, but might make a nice wee sedge, even if the wings are pointing the wrong way :z4

Cheers again :z18

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #37 on: 21/05/2013 at 13:26 »
Nice tying Sandy, I like the look of your #20. I have never tried to tie them that small. The deer hair looks to be very good quality with short black tips and that will help keep them afloat. :z16

Irvine

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #38 on: 21/05/2013 at 13:26 »
but might make a nice wee sedge, even if the wings are pointing the wrong way :z4

don't worry about it dude. the fishes'll just think its going backwards....  :z4

excellent ties ! not sure why you're tying them comparadun-style but super-sweet nevertheless !  :z16

cheers,
marc

Iain Cameron

« Reply #39 on: 21/05/2013 at 13:37 »
I got a magnifying glass and lamp combo thingy off of Hobbycraft...

might have to investigate that. Or learn to tie blind.

here's a scruffy, straggly 16 DHE. nice and messy.

i don't do neat flies.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 21/05/2013 at 14:10 »
Scruffy  is best though Iain :z16

I've had a crack at some 16's too to exchange for the snowshoe ones i don't use :z6

Standard

And with that time of year looming i had a crack at a size 16 yellow may too.

I think i'm going to like this comparadun hair :z18 Awesome advice, as always :z18 to everyone

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #41 on: 21/05/2013 at 18:16 »
This is turning into a 'My DHE's smaller than yours'

Well I'll fold right now!

I have spectaculars, a desk magnifier c/w lamp and as far as I can go is a 17 (212Y) and I'm really unsure if I'd need to go smaller with this fly anyroads.  :roll ok I'll get some smaller hooks and comparadun hair.  :X1

Some nice flies there guys.

Iain look and see if Maplins are still doing the desk magnifier lamp for £20.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: 21/05/2013 at 18:41 »
I'm really unsure if I'd need to go smaller with this fly anyroads.  :roll

I'm inclined to agree with you on that, i reckon an 18 is plenty small enough for the pattern, especially now i've had a chance to play a bit. Tiny flies are best kept more simple :z16
The 16's look great with the comparadun hair though, and thats what i really wanted it for, just to ditch the snowshoes :z7 on the Smaller upwing patterns.

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #43 on: 21/05/2013 at 18:54 »
ditch the snowshoe

absoflippinlutely

:z16

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: 21/05/2013 at 20:36 »
Gorgeous :z16

Nice hook too :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com