« Reply #15 on: 20/05/2013 at 13:15 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4

Marc Fauvet

Re: DHE's New
« Reply #16 on: 20/05/2013 at 13:39 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

tons and tons of most excellent points in the comments above  :z16

hey Sandy !
personally, for the wing, atm i can't see past EP International fibers. (permanently treated to float)
as a 'standard dry fly' it floats all day.
pull the fly under, it pops back up, all day.
slime it on a fish, rinse it off, false cast twice and it's back to floating all day.

it comes in many colors so just mix to match the strands just like dubbing and trim to shape after the completion of the fly.
it's such an easy material to work with.

cheers,
marc

Sandy Nelson

Re: DHE's
« Reply #17 on: 20/05/2013 at 14:13 »
Hi Marc

Interesting point, but i have a Question, where does the positive buoyancy come from? I can understand waterproofing the fibres to help them float on the surface, if they don't collect the moisture then they won't sink easily, but how does it pop back up again once it goes under? The deer hair has air inside it so acts like a lifejacket and i could see how it floats, i understand how CDC traps air in the feathers due to the tiny hairs, but i can't see where the EP gets this property? although it must hold air to pop back up Any ideas?.
I'm not being awkward i'm genuinely interested as i use EP for saltwater flies and it sinks well once it is saturated, in fact one of the properties i use it for, is it dries quick on a backcast so it becomes lighter and easier to cast, but once in the water it displaces its air quite quickly so it can sink.

What do you waterproof it with? I've got EP in all sorts of colours and this could be an interesting experiment

Nice fly by the way :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #18 on: 20/05/2013 at 14:25 »
135 degree for DHE's  :z16 :wink

135 ??? you been getting the protractor out again Al  :X2 :X2 :z12

Allan Liddle

« Reply #19 on: 20/05/2013 at 16:30 »
Yup if it dosen't make the exact grade it gets cut up again  :z4 :z4  :X1 :z4 :z4

TWAT'S a place in Orkney  :z4 :z4

Sandy does the positive boyancy not come from the thorax, wing material and any floatant against the 'keel' effect of the hook?

Marc Fauvet

Re: DHE's New
« Reply #20 on: 20/05/2013 at 16:50 »
hi Sandy,
although not stated on the website, i suspect they might be hollow similar to the much more expensive Tiemco Aero-Wing or polypropylene. (can't state as fact)
this specific product is named EP International Trigger Point made specifically by Mick Hall for EP.
this is not the same fibers as the standard EP used for streamers and such.

funny D'Oh ! moment happened to me whilst chatting with Mick Hall at a fair in Stockholm two years back. i was telling him how much i liked the EP TP fibers and he just smiled/smirked and told me he was their creator !  :roll :roll :roll
(and proceded to give me a handfull of packs  :z12)

floatant: the only thing i ever use is Aquel. being an 'ingrained habit' from other materials i'll usually put some on the EP TP as well but it probably doesn't need it, specially in slow or still waters.

cheers,
marc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 20/05/2013 at 17:04 »
Marc

That would make sense, it explains why the EP i tried sunk :z6, will keep an eye peeled for some.

Alan

By Positive buoyancy, i was referring to the fact that when it is submerged, the fly resurfaces. The thorax, wing, floatant, etc all help the fly float, but it requires air to make the fly rise back up through the water. I was wondering how it achieves this and i think Marc has now answered that query :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #22 on: 20/05/2013 at 19:37 »
, but My DHE's have been working best with a comparadun style wing, i've been tying it so it fans out to form half a halo, a lot like clipping the bottom of a full hackle
Sandy

Sandy

Comparadun style???? that's not the way Bob Wyatt ties them, nor do I.

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2528.0

I suspect if you try comparadun style with Snowshoe hair it will not be very successful. You need to trap air in the clump of hair forming the wing to make it float consistently for a long time. If you fan out the hair it will not trap air between the fibres.

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:05 »
Nice fly Marc  :z16
I must admit that I do like natural over synthetics but beggars can't be choosers.

A picture of the B100 DHE in size 16, as said I really am dubious about tying them smaller using deerhair.

Might Davy Wotton have a material to resolve this problem?

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #24 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:13 »
I've tied them down to #18 and caught well on them.  They are a pain to tie in that size but I refuse to use snowshoe, mainly because Kev says I should but also because it is a pig to tie with  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:21 »
Aye right, Colonel Blink! is that on a Klinkhamer Supreme size 18!

Seriously though, as Kamasan don't do B100's in 18's what hooks are you tying these on?

Cheers

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #26 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:30 »
Orvis 1639's Iain, very similar to a B100.

They are a pain to tie that small but doable for someone my age  :z7

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:49 »
ok so I need glasses, and I'm not afraid to say it  :X2

Do you have watershed in stock?

Silly question but how do you treat a fibrous yarn with the stuff?

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #28 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:55 »
Hi Iain,

Have watershed in stock.  Needing specs too, only a matter of time before I go get some!

Just coat the fibres in solution and leave for 24 hours, I usually put watershed onto materials before I tie with them.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 20/05/2013 at 22:04 »
Here's some pictures of the DHE's i've tied.

This is how i interpreted Bob's instructions, not sure how "right" it is :z7, but it works :z16 and has given me faith in the fly, which i never had before whenever i've tied it wether with Snowshoe or Deer hair, perhaps i have been too stingy in the past. So i don't really care about specifics, just about getting some hair that i can tie on smaller hooks

I ordered some of those Orvis hooks in 18's and 20's aswell so should have some fun tying them too, i don't need glasses and i'm probably older than both of you :z7

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com