Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

River Tay - Stobhall
« on: 18/05/2013 at 13:59 »
Just back from fishing the Stobhall beat on the lower Tay, was a lovely sunny day down in perthshire and hardly a gust of wind. The beat is shared by Taymount and Stobhall, with the upper and lower parts of the beat being fished on alternate days. With it being Friday i was on the lower part and was being looked after by Ernie and Brian the ghillies on the beat.

The beat has some lovely water for the fly and it was a joy to fish, but it is very wide. Not being the greatest caster it was an effort to cover some of the water. Not to worry though i spent a morning working my way down some of the pools while wading,I can now see why a 15ft or 16ft rod would be handy, casting while deep wading was tricky. After a break for lunch i then went back through the pools in the afternoon fishing from the boat.
Casting from the boat and covering the water was alot easier.

Sadly like most my days fishing this year the out come was the same, lots of effort and hard work but no return.

Some photos of the beat

Jim Eddie

Re: River Tay - Stobhall
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2013 at 14:09 »
Looks like a nice  spot Dan, like the panoramic shots  :z16

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2013 at 14:21 »
Better than a day in the office??  :z13

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2013 at 15:01 »
Any day fishing is better than a day at the office. :z7

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2013 at 12:49 »
Hi Dan,
Sounds like a good day out, less the fish  :z6

Always nice to try somewhere different though.  :z16

What did you use to take the pano shots?  The curvature of the picture reminds me of similar shots taken by myself. My problem was that although the camera was on a tripod and level the camera really needs to pivot around the optical centre of the lens not the centre of the camera body. I got a fancy pano jig for my X-mas for the ‘SLR’ but stitching programs/ software is fairly impressive nowadays & even my iPod Nano takes a decent picture without any faffing about.

Nice one

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2013 at 19:07 »
Cheers Iain,

The photos were taken using a waterproof  compact camera I got a year or so back. Only found out it had a panorama pre set when I was messing about with it last month. No stitching programmes or anything just snap a pic where you want to start, pan round till the cross hair on the viewing screen lines up then it takes a second pic and them repeat for the third pic. They turned out better than I thought they would.

Cheers,
Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2013 at 19:58 »
That's interesting Dan, thanks.

I have never taken a pano with my compact and will have to give it a try.

Here's one from my GH2 with the pano head, I'm sure this will make you feel at home.

This was 4 or so photo's stitched from group of about 70 consecutive shots. I tried to get the program to stitch the lot together but the computer had a prolapse and shut itself down  :shock

some good stuff can be taken even from 3 shots, here's an example (of a three photo shot - not an example of a good/ interesting picture)

there is defo a place for it in fishing photography.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2013 at 20:29 »
Great stuff Iain, your right I especially like the first one. :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2013 at 21:22 »
Nice work guys :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com