Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

River Till 6th-9th May 2013
« on: 09/05/2013 at 22:18 »
So I went to the Till and caught f*ck all, that's it. The end.

Ok..... I took a few photos. First let me say I was down fishing as a guest of a chum who had 'won' a charity auction for three days for three rods on the Till, a significant tributary of the Tweed noted for its run of big Sea Trout from early May onwards. We were fishing on three of the beats of Ford and Etal estate http://www.ford-and-etal.co.uk/what-to-do/fishing
If you like drowning worms this is your kind of place, it is by far the best method on this seldom 'fly suitable' water.
Anyway, we stayed at The Blue Bell Inn at Crookham which was damn handy for the fishing http://www.bluebellcrookham.co.uk/ and I have no hesitation at all in giving it 5 stars - excellent.

After meeting Brian the fishings manager we were first on Upper Tindal beat on Tuesday. By 9am when we arrived at his house it was warm. Anyway, this is pretty much the top of the beat:

By lunchtime it was easily mid-20s, very sunny and worse than useless for fishing, so we went to the pub. Then we went to Kelso, then another pub and a tackle shop or two. Then, for a change, we went to a pub. It was very very pleasant. Useless day for fishing, but fine for drinking. Thus endeth day one.
Day two and we were on the Redscar beat. See my previous comments about drowning worms.
Jim hooked and lost the only Sea Trout of the trip on this beat, on a drowning bunch of worms. He reckons it was 7lb plus and bearing in mind he knows his way around a fish I'd buy that. he was pissed off with losing a fish. I was pissed off with the shit weather (it was now raining and cold, a complete contrast to the previous day) David had had enough so we went to the pub.... but only after we had reconnoitred the final beat we were fishing of Lower Tindal. I couldn't be arsed taking any photos worth sharing of Redscar, it left me that apathetic.

Anyway, we agreed that the final day looked promising on Lower Tindal after our reconnaissance trip so a serious effort to get down before dawn was made. We failed to make it before dawn but we were down on the water for about 5am.  Photo of setting up:

Some of the beat where we caught nothing:

More of the same (yes, we caught nothing here too):

I took to taking photos of plants:

And David had 40 winks:

So we went back for a late breakfast, checked out of the excellent hotel and drove home as there were no fish (or very very very few) unless you're into catching smolts (which I am not, I have never seen so many smolts in my puff) or into drowning worms.

The end.

H :cool:

PS - Yes, I know the photo of the bluebell needs to be adjusted. Blame photobucket.

Mike Barrio

Re: River Till 6th-9th May 2013
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2013 at 23:58 »
Nice photos Hamish, I guess you can tick another box ..............................

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2013 at 00:42 »
Disappointed for you H.  :z8

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2013 at 06:19 »
Well at least you had lots of pub action going on  :z4

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2013 at 07:22 »
Nice photos Hamish, I guess you can tick another box ..............................

Cheers
Mike

Aye Mike, handily playing with the new Barrio switch lines on the 'tackle shop of rods' I had taken with me kept me entertained :!

Disappointed for you H.  :z8

Iain

Cheers Iain, in truth it would be worth a return trip as some of the water is lovely but - I guess - not before late August.

Well at least you had lots of pub action going on  :z4

:z18

Jim

Aye Jim, I found some new real ales I'd not had before and quality control was forefront in my mind  :wink

H :cool:

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2013 at 07:29 »
hi Hamish

enjoyed reading your report... apart from the lack of fish action. River looked lovely, shame the fishes weren't playing ball

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2013 at 17:25 »
All you had to do was wear that Suit again :z16 after i spent all that time sewing the yellow spots on it too :z8
Then it could have been worm city and no-one would have known any better :z7

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2013 at 17:31 »
Hadn't seen that one :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com