Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Geoff Gill

A few from tonight
« on: 07/05/2013 at 22:34 »
Had a go at tying a few more different ones tonight. starting to enjoy now.
Should get all day tommorrow on river to try some out and the wind looks good the morn too  :z16

:z18

Geoff

Peter McCallum

Re: A few from tonight
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2013 at 00:06 »
What are the patterns, photos don't seem to do the flies justice. :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2013 at 09:13 »
starting to enjoy now.

Great stuff, it only gets better :z18

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 08/05/2013 at 13:39 »
Looks like Dirty Dusters on the right?

Geoff Gill

« Reply #4 on: 08/05/2013 at 17:08 »
Yes a couple o dirty dusters and Adams and a march brown emerger type fly.
Tried a couple today and caught a few on the dirty duster 1/2 - 3/4 lb. good fun catching on the dry with flies you've tied yourself. Small hatch seen but hard going today.

Cheers

Geoff

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 08/05/2013 at 19:02 »
Geoff,

Good to hear that the fish like the flies  :z16 catching on self tied dries, magic!

from an aesthetic point of view, one thing that I think would instantly revolutionise your dries would be to focus on the quality of hackle that you use.
Next to (possibly) your vise I think the most expensive purchase is a good quality cape, well actually capes :z6

Capes are a topic on their own but costs can be reduced by the fact that they can be purchased in 1/2 capes, 1/4 capes, neck patches & even packs of select feathers. There are also various 'makes' and grades, colours and type of chicken donor to choose from.

It's a night and day result when you have a quality hackle with the correct barb length for the fly being tied.

There are much better positioned guys on here to advise of what is currently on the market as due to the fact that I don't tie too many flies and capes last an age then it's been a while since I've bought one.

I get a feeling that I should be tying these dirty dusters  :roll but I don't have a dirty badger............cape.

Yan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 08/05/2013 at 19:10 »
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2831.0

Geoff,

Here is an SBS from my formative years which looks very much like, the general pattern (not General Patton)  that you are tying in the 3 flies at bottom left. It is a useful pattern which I've manipulated by fiddling with materials to cover MB's, OU's, LDO's and even sedges.

What did you use for tails on these?

Iain

Geoff Gill

« Reply #7 on: 08/05/2013 at 19:54 »
Iain,

I used a couple of deer hairs this time for the tails.
As for the hackles i couldnt agree more, ive noticed capes that cost way more than i have paid. For just starting i seem to have gathered alot of moneys worth of not so good materials. I always seem to just try get as close as i can get to what the fly requires as i can struggle getting all the required materials to match, this usually results in flies sinking or not acting as they should.
Suppose i should give up the false economy of buying little bits of cheap materials to make do and buy better quality for a better end result.

Cheers again, any recommendations of suppliers and types of materials especially capes for drys would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 08/05/2013 at 23:01 »

For just starting i seem to have gathered alot of moneys worth of not so good materials.

Must be just you then  :X2  :z4

If you tell me what patterns & in what sizes you are looking to tie (select patterns that you will fish with) and I'll help out where I can.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 09/05/2013 at 06:45 »
Geoff

I have 4 x 1/2 Whiting saddles in the 4 best colours, Badger,Red game, Blue dun and Grizzle, and sized for flies from 10-18. Its enough feathers for about 3 lifetimes :shock
So i too can help you out if you wish :z16 I always try to pick my feathers to make sure i get the colours and sizes i need.

Will send you a PM with more details :z18

Sandy

Geoff Gill

« Reply #10 on: 09/05/2013 at 12:44 »
Cheers for all your help Iain again  :z16
Sandys gonna sort me out with some, although the missus is starting to think sandy is some kind of code word for meeting some other woman, with all these secret meetings and money exchanges  :z4 :z4

If these don't work for me then it is just me  :shock :z4

Cheers
Geoff

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 09/05/2013 at 12:50 »
 :z16 no worries.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 09/05/2013 at 12:57 »
Great stuff guys :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com