Stuart Smith

Re: Barrio Spey line
« Reply #18 on: 24/09/2013 at 06:15 »
yes he has mike and keep this on the down low but he enjoys is

sorry kev

Kevin Muir

« Reply #19 on: 24/09/2013 at 15:46 »
I had a chance of a day on the Dee as a guest and I was in two minds about going as I have very limited experience waving double handers about.  What the heck I do not get out with salmon rods very often so it was a good chance to get in a little time with the long rod.

The day started out with Ben and I both fishing single handers, I have never see the Dee so low before, I was using my 10' #7 helios (proper rods with only ONE place to grab hold of the rod), matched with an SLX it was great fun spey casting on the narrower stretches on the river.  Eventually as we worked down the river it became harder to cover the water as the river was wider so out came the telegraph poles (double handers to Salmon fishers).

Being honest I have very limited experience casting double handers,(3 or 4 days if truth be told) the new sample line I borrowed from Ben worked well on the rod I was using.  Eventually when you get a few hours into the day everything slots into place, knowing what to do without thinking about it at each cast, (I told you I don't do this double hander stuff very often) I had a great time.  I loved using the sample line, it seemed to go out well and even the Ghillie said I was managing to get the line out OK.  You know that by practising the loop shape could be better and I know that will hopefully come with time, I know what I need to do, well I think so.

The line straightens very well and turns the leader over very very well.  I was eventually picking out rocks on the far bank to try to drop the fly next to, low water so not huge distances but great fun, and that made using the rod / line outfit a pleasure, no fish but I expected that outcome given the conditions.  Great weather on a nice bit of water getting a lesson on how it should be done, thanks Ben and Alan I had a great day.

Mike I need one of these lines soon, I will be using it quite a bit over the winter to improve my casting with the big rod.  Very easy to cast, it just flatters even my poor casting abitlity carrying the fly to where you want it to go most of the time, can't ask for much more.  Quite deceptive really if the samples are anything to go by you are onto a winner.

GET THEM IN THE SHOP SOON.

Kev.

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 24/09/2013 at 15:54 »
GET THEM IN THE SHOP SOON.
Aye, what he said!  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 24/09/2013 at 15:56 »
Yeah,

C'mon Mike, get yr finger out  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 24/09/2013 at 17:29 »
Thanks for your feedback and enthusiasm guys :z16

We've moved onto the next stage of development ....... and you'll be able to get yours soon!

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 15/10/2013 at 14:53 »
The Don is still pretty low, we need more rain!  :z8

Ben Dixon

Barrio Integrated Scandi Spey (ISS)
« Reply #24 on: 28/02/2014 at 08:01 »
At last, after a long time in development, the ISS line is available to buy  :cool:

Page is live here

http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-ISS-fly-lines.html

This has been comprehensively tested and tweaked ad the final result is absolutely awesome.  Flies for miles, flies level, works well and turns over predictably at close range and is happy with most normal flies or tubes on the end.  Cast short off the tip at the colour change it shapes up to give probably the best shapes I've ever thrown on a salmon rod and, with a longer stroke and cast off the second extended rear taper, it goes a very long way with ease.

Looking forward to Skagit conditions disappearing so I can get out and throw it at some fish :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

Re: Barrio Integrated Scandi Spey (ISS)
« Reply #25 on: 28/02/2014 at 08:45 »
Kev putting the ISS through its paces on the Dee last summer

Ben

Hamish Young

Re: Barrio Integrated Scandi Spey (ISS) New
« Reply #27 on: 28/11/2015 at 12:01 »
It's been a while since this topic had much posting in it, but as I have been out pretty much solely with the ISS during the past season with a 9/10 on my Mackenzie DTX:Atlas 13'7" #9wt and a 10/11 on my MacKenzie 'original' DTX 15' I thought it might be useful to share some of my findings as an end of season review.
Incidentally these lines  have also been tried on a wide range of rods including Gaelforce, Sharpes, B&W, Hardy, Shakespeare and CND - plus others I've probably forgotten :!

In the tougher wind conditions experienced in the early part of the season up here in Inverness-shire the ISS was a perfect choice, it inspires confidence in anyone who uses it and in all conditions "I really can make that cast" and so on. I have experimented with 15' sinking polyleaders on both the 9/10 and 10/11 and whilst that's asking a bit of the 9/10 it coped very well. The 10/11 :? With impunity, it's as if they weren't there at all. Now this is interesting to me as although I use all sorts of polyleaders and 'T' tips I do like using longer polyleaders, I'd simply not tried them on the ISS before.

As a self confessed tackle tart I've got all sorts of Salmon lines, some really really good and some harder to use but rewarding when you get it right. This season past I did more Salmon fishing than in any season in the previous 5, with an armoury of gear to chose from it's a testament to how good this line really is that I pretty much only used the ISS (exceptions were when Euan borrowed it :!) as my go to line.
Salmon fishing next year :? You should buy one, I don't think you can afford to be without one :wink

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2015 at 12:13 »
Great stuff Hamish ..... I'm really pleased that you like it :z16

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #29 on: 29/11/2015 at 16:13 »
I can second all of what Hamish has said. :z16

I borrowed it once because my John Norris atlantic line was too light for the Shakespeare Oracle 14' #9/10 mk1. Once I put on the ISS the rod became a lovely thing to use. 35yds+ on the Ness in a fierce downstream wind with a 10' Rio 7" per second Versitip and a 2" brass tube,  same on the Garry (1st salmon), 3.5" per second Versitip and a single Vivian on the Upper Beauly (2nd salmon) and a 2"per second Versitip and a Silver Stoat in low water on the Dee (3rd salmon) proves it's versatility.
Closing day on the South Esk, no fish , but excellent turnover with a 10' Versileader and 15' of nylon made the fly land like a dry fly on a chalk stream.
Once you sort out running line management and your own "sweet spot" then nothing phases this line.
Bring on next season!  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com