Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ewan Lindsay

River Dun
« on: 06/05/2013 at 08:05 »
First pilgrimage to the Chalkstreams this week on the way back to work.  River Dun (which flows in to the Test just above Romsey) Dunbridge Beat.

Beautiful beat, lovely weather and the river was full to over flowing but clear.  I've never seen it so deep - the aquifiers are obviously well stocked after the winter / spring wet weather.

Little in the way of hatches all day and hardly a rise to be seen so it was nymphing that got me my fish.  Not even the Big Daddy Long Legs could tempt anything up to the surface... :shock  Water was too deep to stalk fish so it was all prospecting.  I had three small Browns and four Grayling (three of which were crackers).  All took a beaded PTN or a Killer Bug on an induced take at the end of the drift.

Single fly only, Dry or nymph, No droppers, at all, ever, not negociable  - you'd be dragged onto Stockbridge Highstreet and shot if you tried otherwise  :X2

Ewan

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Dun
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2013 at 08:40 »
Looks like a lot of fun Ewan.
Thanks for the report, i've never managed to get onto a chalkstream yet. But it looks like a beautiful place to fish :z16
Bonny day too by the look of it.

Cheers

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2013 at 08:55 »
Bleary morning eyes, thought Dun was the Don...

Nice wee report to read over morning coffee. Looks like a great piece of water
Cheers
Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2013 at 10:01 »
Having just read the thread about the olive dun I thought this was another fly tying thread  :X1

What a lovely looking stream and some beautiful fish. Dead jealous  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2013 at 12:22 »
Great stuff Ewan :z16

I love reading your reports and the great photos, thanks for sharing! :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com