Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Epic rod prototype
« Reply #15 on: 24/04/2013 at 11:34 »
The Epic will be available at the Sexyloops Gathering to hit as hard as you like Hamish :z4

I reckon this blank might be rather more "bullet proof" than you would think :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 24/04/2013 at 11:44 »
Mike,
Would you entertain me on something?

Is it possible to some how measure the "power/recoverability" of the rod now, and then again in 6 months once its been cast several hundred times.

Just to satisfy my curiosity. I know Magnus uses some kind of "jig" to do this.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 24/04/2013 at 11:50 »
Mike,
Would you entertain me on something?

Is it possible to some how measure the "power/recoverability" of the rod now, and then again in 6 months once its been cast several hundred times.

Just to satisfy my curiosity. I know Magnus uses some kind of "jig" to do this.

Don't see why not Rob ..... Once you have tried the rod we can discuss the possibility :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 24/04/2013 at 12:18 »
The Epic will be available at the Sexyloops Gathering to hit as hard as you like Hamish :z4
Now Mike that's unfair, you know I've had Ben_D counselling so those days are behind me :wink
I don't hit rods any more,  I'll let someone else do that sort of thing now :cool:
I reckon this blank might be rather more "bullet proof" than you would think :wink

Ha - I see what you did there..... I said machine guns..... you said bullet proof.....  :z7

When it comes to the Epic rod I genuinely have no preconceptions about its longevity (in my hands or anyone else for that matter). I look forward to trying the rod in due course, if the opportunity arises.

H :cool:

Rich Knoles

« Reply #19 on: 24/04/2013 at 13:17 »
I'm interested in what the hype is about. I can't think of a glass rod that I'd choose over carbon rod. Carl's working on a 9wt I'm curious about.

Lovely build, Sandy! :z14

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 24/04/2013 at 13:28 »
Glass??????? :z8

Why glass, or is this a split cane (aka bamboo) fetish thing?

A reasonable question when it comes to Sandy and myself I guess! :z4  :z4  :z4

The answer is no, something has to really get us excited about fishing with it and we don't drive Morris Minors! :z7

Interestingly .... we also tried a prototype Barrio silk fly line yesterday ...... we cast it for a while, scratched our heads and put it back in the box :z3

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 24/04/2013 at 13:38 »
we also tried a prototype Barrio silk fly line yesterday ...... we cast it for a while, scratched our heads and put it back in the box :z3

Interesting. Whilst searching for Golden Plover skins today I came across a site dedicated to the more "traditional" things in life. They had Silk lines at £165 a pop. Ouch! Even "synthetic" silk lines were £110.

I will stick with "plastic" for now.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 24/04/2013 at 13:45 »
Ok, the more I think about this the more curious I get!

There are a few US custom blank builders that produce extremely expensive Tournament "Pro" lure rods out of S2 Glass. They tend to be for Bass fishing where fish are "skull dragged" out of cover and to the boat in double quick time.

They use the glass because carbon rods can and do exploded when "hauling hogs" whilst the glass is much more forgiving.

The same goes for Catfish rods, saltwater Jig rods, heavy duty Jerkbait rods and so on.

So basically, the reason I am intriged is because generally S or S2 glass is used for rods that require brute strength, not finesse and delicacy.

Seems to go directly against all reasoning to use glass for a fly rod. It obviously works, so who am I to argue, but I am still intrigued :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 24/04/2013 at 17:01 »
Well it works in the wind :z16 i've been roll casting and punching into the wind all afternoon, rod never baulked once.

Did a grand job on the fish too :z16 4x tippet, 4wt SLX, size 14 SLD, no bent hooks, no snapped tippet, no lost fish :z18

Even more impressed than i was yesterday :z14

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 24/04/2013 at 17:05 »
I just knew the rod was going to be awesome on the river ..... great stuff Sandy! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #25 on: 24/04/2013 at 17:37 »
Even more impressed than i was yesterday :z14

that's a belting fish Sandy! Nothing 'gaunt' about it! :-)

Sieger Devries

« Reply #26 on: 24/04/2013 at 18:20 »
I simply love fishing Glass-rods.... Nostalgic old pr... Mmmm could be....

I love the tranquility of casting them and the feeling deep into the blank when drilling a fish (even the smaller ones)....

All over the world there are many Glass-adepts and there are many Glass-communities... Take a look at Cameron Mortensons blog http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.nl or on the fiberglassflyrodders forum... http://fiberglassflyrodders.com

You'll see it's not only the older guys who are into it, but a great deal of the young and coming are re-discovering the fine qualities of the material....

I can't imagine rod builders keeping production lines up and running only for a few weirdoes...  :wink And development of the material didn't stop in the late 70-ties...

Maybe a coincidence but I'm waiting for my Kabuto blank to be released from customs... Will be my first rod that I'm going to build myself.... (just really hard to get the nice guides over here....  :z6 )... If it comes out halve as good as yours I would be very happy...  :z14

Here I'm casting a '70ties Fenwick full-glass rod.... Luckily thing went on since then. Rods aren't as 'wobbely' and slow anymore and they are a great deal lighter....

(oh and by the way... I fish Graphite, Boron, Cane and.... too....  :wink )

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #27 on: 24/04/2013 at 21:05 »
Sandy,
when I was 9 years old my first rod was a milbro trufly deluxe and I loved it. I did not know any better but if these blanks can bring back the feeling that I had when I was a boy that will not be a bad thing.

by the way they were £9.00 back then, I guess the price has changed a bit with time.

Eddie. :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 24/04/2013 at 21:13 »
Great stuff Sieger ... cracking photo as well :z16

Yes Eddie, the prices have changed a bit :z4

Cheers
Mike

Andrew Parker

« Reply #29 on: 29/04/2013 at 23:22 »
Did a grand job on the fish too :z16 4x tippet, 4wt SLX

Sandy

Sandy, I'm interested to see you are using the #4 SLX on the Epic 8'0" #5. I presume that you prefer it with the lighter SLX line?

Cheers, Andrew

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com