Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Projects ............
« Reply #15 on: 17/03/2013 at 17:09 »
You just made me think, so I checked the records, I reckon there are 60 of them in circulation :z16
I still have enough bits to build another 3 , if anyone fancies one :wink

Might keep me amused while we wait to see if the new prototype is good enough to fill it's forebears boots :z7

Ooops ........ :z4 :z4

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 18/03/2013 at 08:14 »
It was a beautiful reel Will, but it would have had a retail of about £350 to £400 :z3

Cheers
Mike

And your point is??  :X2 A fair price for a fair product!  :z16

Not sure if you ever heard of an Engineer by the name of Richard Carter. He started hand building centrepins, including some gorgeous fly reel versions a few years ago. He has retired now but his reels go for £800+ on ebay. The Dragonfly was an absolute beauty and a fair few went Stateside for the "Bamboo boys".

Milltackle still make them http://www.milltackle.co.uk/

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 18/03/2013 at 10:02 »
And your point is??  :X2 A fair price for a fair product!  :z16

No arguements there :z16

But the minority that can help make it work aren't enough to justify the initial set up costs. I imagine that is what prevents a huge number of beautiful and very clever products from ever reaching the public view.
I know we have a few that would have been fantastic. I'll try to find the pictures from the back to see what you make of that :wink

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 18/03/2013 at 10:06 »

Alex Burnett

« Reply #19 on: 18/03/2013 at 10:50 »
Aye Mike

That was a gorgeous Reel.

Sandy if you are looking for something to do let me know, I am struggling to
get decorating  :oops & rod preps for this season completed along with work commitments.   :cry

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 18/03/2013 at 12:01 »
No arguements there :z16

But the minority that can help make it work aren't enough to justify the initial set up costs.

Richard Carter ceased trading in 1999, although the rumour mill are suggesting he is making reels once more.

Interesting story and photos of his reels here http://www.tonbridge-angling.co.uk/Reels.html

Will Shaw

« Reply #21 on: 18/03/2013 at 13:01 »
Richard Carter ceased trading in 1999, although the rumour mill are suggesting he is making reels once more.

Interesting story and photos of his reels here http://www.tonbridge-angling.co.uk/Reels.html

Interesting stuff Rob. I have a couple of Richard Carter's reels: an Aerial Perfection and a Dragonfly. Really lovely reels. Amazed that they're going for £800!  :shock

I can remember him looking at doing fly reels at some stage but I don't think he ever made any beyond prototypes.

Will

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 18/03/2013 at 13:13 »
I can remember him looking at doing fly reels at some stage but I don't think he ever made any beyond prototypes.

Will

I am sure he produced some fly reels, and I thought they were the Dragonfly..but I guess the name is wrong. I remember them being in that wonderful but now de-funked magazine "Traditional Angling". I am sure they were retailing at about £450...but I could well be mistaken.

I had one of his Ariels with the "antique" finish. I loved it but foolishly sold it a few years back. I wish I had kept hold of it as it was a far nicer reel than the JW Youngs Heritage I have now.

Will Shaw

« Reply #23 on: 19/03/2013 at 10:10 »
I spoke to him at a Gamefair once and he showed me a prototype SWFF reel he'd made. Looked cool, but I never saw anything more of it.

My Dragonfly is a 4" ball bearing reel. Antique finish. Great fun to fish with. I think the firefly was a 3" Aerial style reel - prob. would've made a nice fly reel.

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 28/03/2013 at 20:35 »
The Barrio reel will return soon .............................. :wink

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #25 on: 28/03/2013 at 20:57 »
Mike, good to hear that the reels will be back. I will definitely be in touch as I love the simplicity of the one that I use on my 3 weight.

Eddie.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 28/03/2013 at 21:05 »
Mike, good to hear that the reels will be back. I will definitely be in touch as I love the simplicity of the one that I use on my 3 weight.

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie :z16

Expect a couple of subtle design changes :cool: and as with previous versions of the reel, spools will retrofit all the way back to the first Barrio reel :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 24/04/2013 at 10:43 »
Coming along nicely :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #28 on: 24/04/2013 at 11:03 »
Interestin stuff Mike they look the part so far.  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #29 on: 24/04/2013 at 18:48 »
Lovely Mike.
I'll not be a twat and pass on one this time!!

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com