Re: Barbless Dry Fly Hooks....again !
« Reply #15 on: 24/04/2013 at 01:16 »
Sorted !  :z16

Thanks for all comments.

Lindsay

Andy Finlay

Re: Barbless Dry Fly Hooks....again ! New
« Reply #16 on: 24/04/2013 at 16:29 »
hook shape/profile, no 'bump' (that may or may not have been properly crushed) but mostly that barbs are of no use and then of course there's a big safety issue...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Marc, fully aware of the safety implications, think that link should carry a warning for the squeamish  :shock :shock. I was meaning more from a hook strength point of view, do people have the same issues with barbed hooks (that they have de-barbed) as with the barbless hooks.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #17 on: 25/04/2013 at 09:56 »
hi Andy,
no reason a crushed barb would weaken the hook unless the barb itself is a 'wedge' slivered from the hook wire (sorry, hard to explain but imagine whittling a piece of wood) i've seen quite a few Mustad hooks made this way. (and other companies too but Mustad seems to be notorious for this type of manufacturing)
that's already a structure weak point, applying pressure to it weakens it even more.
anyhow, it all depends on the hook.

as for the link, it was intended to shock. i'd much rather have some people squeem a bit and think about this and use common sense than having a hook(s) in their eye.  :z16

cheers,
marc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:04 »
Anyone tried the TMC2499SPBL 's

The profile looks nice and sizes seem to be good, but they are expensive. Marketed as "Strong" and seem to be quite heavy wire.

Look like a really great emerger style hook, not tried them myself, thought i'd ask before i get a few :z16

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:16 »
Sandy,

I have some at home, bought them easily 3-4 years ago and if I remember correctly they were for buzzers.
I never really took to them and I can't remember why.

I will photo them next to some other hooks for reference tonight.

With the amount of hooks available it is so annoying to purchase by description or silhouette only as they typically turn out to be not as expected.

Iain

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:25 »
hey Sandy,
they are one the better hooks there is !  excellent on all points if the inherent wire thickness (weight) and other aspects match your needs. it's not really made for floating flies but that depends on the fly's design. they're also excellent as tube hooks.
don't hesitate  :z16

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:38 »
Might be worth looking at the Daiwa Gamakatsu G-Point Buzzer hooks. They come in Light and Heavy versions and I use the Light for CDC buzzers, DHE etc. The shank is maybe a wee bit short for "normal" dries, but they make lovely Klinks as well.

I have had Rainbows to 6-7lb on them and they have not bent at all, and I play my fish hard. Really really good hooks indeed.

The barbs crush easily as well.

If you want pure strength, then the HEavy is the answer. Its not a heavy hook, just a more substantial wire, but still very light in weight.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:40 »
Are they not barbed Rob? ...... Crushed barbs are not the same as barbless when you get one stuck in you somewhere!

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 25/04/2013 at 10:59 »
No reason a crushed barb would weaken the hook unless the barb itself is a 'wedge' slivered from the hook wire (sorry, hard to explain but imagine whittling a piece of wood) i've seen quite a few Mustad hooks made this way. (and other companies too but Mustad seems to be notorious for this type of manufacturing)
that's already a structure weak point, applying pressure to it weakens it even more.
anyhow, it all depends on the hook.

cheers,
marc

Agreed ..... that makes sense Marc :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 25/04/2013 at 11:25 »
Are they not barbed Rob? ...... Crushed barbs are not the same as barbless when you get one stuck in you somewhere!

Cheers
Mike

They are barbed, yes, but when "crushed", crush well, with no bits sticking out as the barb is very small in the first place.

Trouble is, as we all know, the Barbless hook market is lacking. If folk are after strong hooks for dry flies, then we may have to look elsewhere.

My experience with current barbless models (Partridge, Tiemco, Hanak) has not been great. The Fulling Mill is MUCH better and a true barbless, but the Daiwa is by far the strongest fine wire hook I have found.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 25/04/2013 at 11:30 »
What about Dohiku and Maruto?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #26 on: 25/04/2013 at 13:02 »
what about them ?  :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #27 on: 25/04/2013 at 13:07 »
the Gamma G-Point's point as with a lot of other pre-barbed hooks is very (too) short to be a reliable 'barbless' hook.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #28 on: 25/04/2013 at 13:26 »
Most of these barbless dry hooks are aimed at and have been developed with competition anglers in mind rather than for holding onto trophy and specimen trout.  Comp rules now stipulate barbless rather than debarbed flies, for catching as many small trout as possible I dare say all of the above mentioned hooks are absolutely fine. 
If targetting lumps then use a decent hook of a gauge wire that you are happy with for the job and if you wish then crush the barb down.  Problem solved, for me at least anyway!!

IMHO, debarbing is fine in terms of hook removal providing that the barb folds over and lies against the hook rather than snapping off.  A snapped off barb is a pig to remove from tissue one folded flat against the hook comes easily, speaking from personal experience  :z4

Shit, just read Robs post and I actually agree with him (I must be ill)  :z7

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 25/04/2013 at 15:36 »
the Gamma G-Point's point as with a lot of other pre-barbed hooks is very (too) short to be a reliable 'barbless' hook.

I don't follow, please elaborate.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com