Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Barbless Dry Fly Hooks....again !
« on: 23/04/2013 at 11:59 »
I am in the process of reviewing all my hooks used for tying dries after my own experience last week with Varivas 2200BL's ( ok-ish) and Tiemco 212Y ( not ok ish) and hearing of lost monsters at the weekend through limp hooks brings on the fear. I think I have a workaround for drop arsed flies so my question is which conventional dry fly hook, barbless preferably or at least one that crimps well ? I have my preferred spider hooks as back up just now, but these need de-barbing.

I currently use TMC103's and Grip 11011BL's and so far have only had them open slightly at the point. However, my mind goes back to 2011 and a particulartly fiesty 3 pound Don Brownie landed on a Partridge SLD size 12 CDC and Elk on a balmy June night. I had to muscle this bugger through fast water on a 4wt Streamflex and hook held up just fine. Conversely I had a big Sea Trout/Grilse open one wide (and lost the fish).

I know everyone will have pros and cons but interesting to canvass opinion.

Are the new Partridge Patriot Fine Drys the same as old (or existing) SLD's ?

Do you guys think tip flex rods will be more prone to straightening hooks ?

I do not want to connect with another big fish and lose the scrap through failed terminal tackle, bad angling is okay as then I can blame myself :z4

Cheers,

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

Re: Barbless Dry Fly Hooks....again !
« Reply #1 on: 23/04/2013 at 12:39 »
Hi Lindsay,

The new fine wire SLD's are the same as last years SLD.  There are new SLD's coming some time this year that will be heavier wire.

I very rarely straighten a hook Lindsay, even when I fished a Sage TCR 590 on the river I hardly ever had anything bend out on me.

Cheers

Ben

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 23/04/2013 at 13:11 »

Do you guys think tip flex rods will be more prone to straightening hooks ?

not at all Lindsay. allow me to turn this question around: why would they ?

as for BL hooks, as mentioned previously, i'm more than satisfied with any of the Maruto series.

cheers,
marc

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 23/04/2013 at 13:28 »
Cheers guys, thanks  :z16

Okay, put it this way, 3 of us 'benders' yesterday (of the hook variety !) so it is either (or combination of):

1) Using hooks that bend easily.

2) Using tippet that is too strong ( I use 0.15 on size 14 DHE and above, 0.12 on some 16's and all 18's and below).

3) We apply too much pressure. I am pretty sure I don't and these hooks were wanging on sub 3 pound fish.

4) How and where the fish are hooked  :z8

Marc, was thinking stiffer rod, strongish twang, the hook will be the thing that gives - they fair move about in the tying vice under tension  :wink

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2013 at 14:02 »
hoooks

lindsay - have you tried the FO hooks?
i had quite a few (not huge) fish on them yesterday, and they also pulled my flies clear of some substantial weed beds with no problem

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 23/04/2013 at 14:12 »
lindsay - have you tried the FO hooks?
i had quite a few (not huge) fish on them yesterday, and they also pulled my flies clear of some substantial weed beds with no problem

I have Iain, although the curved/wets seem good I am not sure about their dry fly model though, still quite bendy - tied some size 10 Jinglers on them and they were flapping like buggery in the vice !

I suppose what we are getting at here is a dry fly hook, light enough to remain in/on the surface but with a strong holding shape.....probably always gonna be a compromise.

Thinking about it more Marc, I have had this conversation with Mr.D, my TF Access and Helios rods have far better hook setting properties than my Streamflexes (for me), presumably because they are stiffer and faster when moving the rod to strike. Presumably this energy transfer would translate exponentially during the playing of a fish ?

L
L

Andy Finlay

« Reply #6 on: 23/04/2013 at 15:57 »
Dumb question but what's the benefit of a barbless hook over a debarbed barbed hook (think that makes sense).

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 23/04/2013 at 19:19 »
hi Lindsay,
you're list is pretty good however there's more elements such as leader/tippet length (and it's resultant elasticity: shorter=less/longer=more), current, fish fitness and fleeing tactics, it's fright level and countless more.
anyhow, i'm still guessing it has to do with the hooks (btw, are they opening and staying open or just springing open and resuming their original shape ?)
but more importantly the angle of the rod as the fish is strikened ( :z8  :z4) and fought and landed.

i'll be more than happy to demo a course i teach on striking, fighting and landing at the Gathering w/e :),
marc

Marc Fauvet

Re: Barbless Dry Fly Hooks....again ! New
« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2013 at 19:24 »
Dumb question but what's the benefit of a barbless hook over a debarbed barbed hook (think that makes sense).

hook shape/profile, no 'bump' (that may or may not have been properly crushed) but mostly that barbs are of no use and then of course there's a big safety issue...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 23/04/2013 at 20:46 »
Lindsay,

Without seeing exactly what you are doing when you hook a fish it is very difficult to know why things are going tits up.  I think Marc, has probably got it, most likely to do with rod angle during the fight.  I can't be sure but the extra length of rod you are using could have an effect, same amount of force from at the grip is more force on the fish with a longer rod and as we discussed it will certainly make a difference with the strike.  What were you using last season, both hooks and rods?

What tippet are you using with what fly size mate?  Brand, type and either X number or diameter in inches.  How soon after hooking the fish are you straightening?  I would usually expect to get broken before I straighten a hook when fishing for trout and I'm fairly hard on a fish.

Orvis dry hooks are good and fairly strong even in very small sizes, I've never had an issue with them and I think they also do a barbless version, they certainly did. 

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #11 on: 23/04/2013 at 21:38 »
What were you using last season, both hooks and rods?

What tippet are you using with what fly size mate?  Brand, type and either X number or diameter in inches.  How soon after hooking the fish are you straightening?  I would usually expect to get broken before I straighten a hook when fishing for trout and I'm fairly hard on a fish.

Hi Ben and Marc,

Thanks for comments.

Last season no real probs with fish up to 3 lbs, mainly Streamflex 9' #4 and Access 9' #4 - had one Tiemco slightly open on the Access and dropped only one fish.

End of last season/this season Helios 104 has dropped a few (but now converted more !), opened a TMC212Y on a 2-3 pound fish. Streamflex Plus 9'6 #4 opened a Partridge Classic Spider and slightly opened a Varivas 2200BL (just enuff to lose a 'trophy').

Not a horror story by any stretch ! But I want to avoid such shennanigans.

Tippet, as said mainly 5x Orvis SS 0.15 or Stroft 0.14 when using 14's some 16's and I will go to 6 x SS or 0.12 Stroft for some 16's and all 18's, depends on dressing of the fly. Was using Al's Maxima Green 3 lb (really 386) on the Streamflex though... :oops

Hooks giving after a few seconds, after a couple of jumps and usually as they dive under. I don't use excessive force but stay in touch and keep some pressure on (lowering rod somewhat when they jump, of course).

My fellow Uri Gellers yesterday use 9 footers of various weights and actions  :wink So rod size is not a defining issue in straightening/opening it would seem. But I can't speak for them, though tales of good fish lost recently through hook failure hurts even when it is someone else as it brings on 'the fear' !  :roll

Marc, I am beginning to think that the occasional-ish 'dropped' fish is as a result of these hooks opening (springing?) somewhat then re-setting hence the quest for a reliable strong hook.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2013 at 21:46 »
..and as you know a B100 with my same 'fighting' style didn't wang on a real fish, so I really do think the Varivas  2200's and TMC212Y's are in the doghouse ! Don't want to make the same mistake with 103BL's - have been great so far though.

Ones I have yet to try:

TMC900 BL

TMC100SPBL (might be too heavy ?)

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #13 on: 23/04/2013 at 22:04 »
but more importantly the angle of the rod as the fish is strikened ( :z8  :z4) and fought and landed.

Certainly always vertical when landing (in to a short handled net !) and most often vertical or approx 50 to 60 degrees when striking, but sometimes much flatter - depends on circumstances eg. in relation to any slack line I have mended.

Has worked for last 30 odd years  :z8

L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 23/04/2013 at 22:57 »
My theory is leverage plays a big part in this hook opening business. If the hook is only holding by the tip it's going to apply much greater forces on that hook than one thats buried deeply to the bend. Also striking a fraction 2 soon especially on big fish is a good way of getting a poor hookup.  I've been guilty of this recently I reckon.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com