Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Immersion Waders
« on: 22/04/2013 at 14:03 »
I picked up a couple of catalogues down at Active Angling and I noticed a couple of companies are now offering "immersion waders".

Basically they are a dry suit, but designed to be worn with wading boots. Means you can wade much deeper than normal (aimed at the Czech Nymphing market in one catalogue) or used in a kayak/float tube.

At £799 I cannot see them catching on, but they are an interesting concept. No more water over the top of your chesties and if you go too deep, no danger of being pulled under by the flow getting inside the waders either.

Imax (Savage Gear) also has a version but boot footed.

Allan Liddle

Re: Immersion Waders
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2013 at 17:45 »
A few years back a couple of Scottish guys started wearing wet suits and swimming to the difficult to reach areas on the Tummel during competitions or wading very deep for czech nymphing.  Result; banned as being very dangerous.

Also when you go that deep you have a much reduced control on what you're really doing.

Even without the price tag i'd be surprised if this caught on, but i've been wrong before.

Me?  Dries from the safety of the bank or waist deep max will do.  :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #2 on: 22/04/2013 at 21:46 »
You might want to google Skishing. Nutters.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2013 at 08:30 »
A few years back a couple of Scottish guys started wearing wet suits and swimming to the difficult to reach areas on the Tummel during competitions or wading very deep for czech nymphing.  Result; banned as being very dangerous.

Yip, I saw some videos of this. Scary stuff!!

However, not sure how "dangerous" it would if you were kitted out correctly. I have worn dry suits when diving and they certainly have a lot of buoyancy meaning that you just float off down stream. But who knows, its not for me!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com