Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Partrige skin reeks
« on: 22/04/2013 at 11:37 »
Hi guys

I bought a partridge skin this weekend and it is honking  :shock Has anybody any tips/ tricks to get rid of the smell.

Cheers

Michael

Peter McCallum

Re: Partrige skin reeks
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2013 at 11:40 »
Give it a wash perhaps, then lay it out flat to dry and dust with a low heat hair dryer  :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 22/04/2013 at 13:12 »
baby shampoo, rinse several times, padded dry with a towel, hair dryer as recommended above and be sure to leave it out in a dry and warm area for several days before storing it into a new plastic bag.
baby shampoo doesn't dry out and crack the skin and leaves the feathers pretty and shiny  :z16

cheers,
marc

Michael Buchan

« Reply #3 on: 22/04/2013 at 13:31 »
Cheers Peter/ Marc will give it try  :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 22/04/2013 at 15:19 »
btw, just in in case, make sure the skin is clean from any meat/grease from the bird. this might be the cause of the smell.

another thing, was there any little 'dust-like' things at the bottom of the bag it came in ? these might be bug eggs...

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2013 at 18:16 »
Veniards Napthalene crystals will stop the 'gamey' smell....only to be replaced by the overpowering smell of mothballs  :z4

I have a Cookshill (bought from GAC) and I must admit it whiff a fair bit. Nature of the beast ?

Linz

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com