Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Plover skin
« on: 18/04/2013 at 16:07 »
Now that I have gotten back into tying spiders I am finding it difficult lo locate a plover and a waterhen skin. Can anyone help with this?

Eddie.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Plover skin
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2013 at 16:21 »
Hi Eddie

Speak to Steve Cooper at Cookshill.  http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/gsr.htm

He is the source of all my game feathers, always great quality and a nice guy too :z16

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2013 at 16:29 »
Sandy,
Steve was my first point of call but he is out of stock at present, do you know of anyone else?

getting back into river trouting after many years means even more fly tying but i do like spiders and used to use them a lot so it will be great to get back into it.

Eddie.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2013 at 16:51 »
Hi Eddie,

Steve is the only one I know who can supply regularly.  Other than that, bestbet is speak to someone who shoots.  Worth keeping in touch with Steve as stuff like that just randomly turns up with him from time to time.  I'll be placing an order in thenext few days so will ask him.  If you are needing afew feathers to tide you over, let me know as I have a couple of skins somewhere I think.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2013 at 17:56 »
Now that I have gotten back into tying spiders I am finding it difficult lo locate a plover and a waterhen skin. Can anyone help with this?

I got two GP skins off ebay in December - a guy in Ireland that obviously was shooting them ( legally in season !). I have badgered Steve at Cookshill for two years and he never has any - he told me he got two last year and wasn't hopful about this year ! ( they possibly went to a preferred customer !). Try him anyway.

Golden Plover is a fantastic feather, not so much for the yellow tips but the way it ties, the structure of the barbulles so to speak.

I did get a Waterhen Skin from Steve, cracking, but for Bloa's imho you can only really use the wing coverts so depends on what you want it for. If Bloas only use the wings is my advice  :z8

Lindsay

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2013 at 21:10 »
Lindsay,
Thanks for the tip on bloas as that is what I want the waterhen for, I will check with Steve for wings.

Ben, I will take you up on the offer of some feathers and will give you a shout.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Eddie.

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 19/04/2013 at 00:47 »
Lindsay,
Thanks for the tip on bloas as that is what I want the waterhen for, I will check with Steve for wings.

Aye Eddie a skin would have a lot of feathers with hackles way too big for bloa's. Ben usually has Moorhen wings in the shop too. Someone on the 'big forum' was using Jay (!) as a sub and seemed to work.

L

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 19/04/2013 at 07:49 »
I have Magpie and Black bird heads for spiders, that gives me a nice blue/grey and a black hackle...

I managed to get a Plover from off Ebay a few years back, they do sometimes come up. Just keep searching :)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 19/04/2013 at 21:55 »
Guys,
no plover feathers yet but I am going to fish the Don shortly for troots for the first time in years so I tied a bunch of spiders so I might post some photos tomorrow so that the local spider experts can lend some advice before I make any more.

Eddie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com