Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Flie tying kit
« Reply #15 on: 02/05/2013 at 21:11 »
Hi Alan,
If you were trying to emulate the placemat then that's brilliant!  :z4

Seriously though, as you know the camera has focused on the table and bypassed the fly so you might want to give it another go.

I find some form of sightboard is handy for tying and photographing, I use a bit of A3 white paper folded over a bit of A4 Card propped against a coke can!

From what I can see it looks pretty good  :z16 perhaps the thorax could be a little longer and the rib spacing a wee bit more uniform but that's major nit pikin' at this stage

Very well done  :z16

Iain

Burnett

« Reply #16 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:27 »
Thanks for the pantograph tips think I will have to invest in a micro lens to get better pics  :mad

Hear is a slit lay better pit

Took me a long time to tie these 2

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:37 »
They'll work  Alan :z16.

Nice start  :z3

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 02/05/2013 at 22:55 »
Alan,
It will take a while to tie them at the start, you have to think about what your trying to achieve and the techniques required, you will get faster BUT concentrate on technique not speed.

That's a better picture to see what is going on.

I agree there is no doubt they will catch fish so already you're off to a flier.

Nit pickin' again................. Thorax on the right is fine, thorax on the left is a bit short, easy fix though.
What have you used for the body? Black tying thread? Black floss? The body appears to be knobbly in some places, try to keep the body uniform which can be a bit tricky but stick with it.

Nicely done. Are you planning on using them soon?  Post a picture of a fish if you do.

Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #19 on: 03/05/2013 at 09:23 »
Slim and sparse, those will catch fish Alan! Probably in spades  :z12

What Iain says

'It will take a while to tie them at the start, you have to think about what your trying to achieve and the techniques required, you will get faster BUT concentrate on technique not speed.'

is spot on. :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #20 on: 03/05/2013 at 17:06 »
Yup they'll work Alan, keep the more you tye the easier it gets.  It's good craic as well, yes frustrating at times but very rewarding in the end.

Burnett

« Reply #21 on: 04/05/2013 at 18:45 »
Thanks for the comments this was my next attempt do you think this will catch fish

Burnett

« Reply #22 on: 04/05/2013 at 22:48 »
As you all no that I have just started looking to get some more tying thread to tie different colour buzzar anyone recommend some recommend some feathers or other good stuff to buy I have tinsel wire and black and white thread any advice would be good 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 05/05/2013 at 09:18 »
Hi Alan,
firstly let me say that what I'm about to say to you is no different to what I'd say to a close friend or my wee boy....................so don't take it personally
What are you dickin' about with marabou growth ridden buzzers for at this stage? have you got your basic tying of a black buzzer completely sorted?

Then I'd say well done, the fly actually looks good from a tying standpoint & now you can appreciate just how limitless the boundaries are when you tie your own flies.

Then I'd say - this might be the best design of fly that has ever existed as until it's been road tested you just never know. Then I'd say - don't send me any 'cos I'm doubtful that it is.

Anyway about materials.  I think that black is the best colour for buzzer bodies and if you look at getting electric biots in, say green & sunburst for cheek materials then this will give you a couple of must have patterns.

Black and green buzzers are by far my most successful colour scheme. Lime green floss (not too thick) will never go wrong as it's used in many trout patterns e.g. it can be used to make cheeks or even a sparse collar at the junction of thorax and body on your buzzers.

I'd highly recommend Sally Hanson 'Hard As Nails' (clear) applied in a couple of very thin coats to the buzzer this protecst the materials and gives a bit of shape with an 'air bubble' type shine.

At this stage it'd be worth tying up some red Apps Bloodworms and Okey Dokeys in white/lime & white/orange.
I'm not a great fan of Okey Dokeys although they are a very successful fly but the Apps bloodworm has proved itself to be a great pattern for me, especially over the Winter.
Both patterns only require 2 materials (after the tying thread) so you've nothing to lose.

At this time of year I'd be looking at having a surface pattern in my tying armoury and there is one fairly simple one that I'd not be without on still or running water, but that's for later.

Got to go, being harrassed
Iain

Burnett

« Reply #24 on: 05/05/2013 at 09:40 »
Thanks got the advice Ian will have a look at the flys you said and see what I need to do theme

Alan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 05/05/2013 at 09:52 »
Hi Alan

I tie something similar with a hot orange cdc wing that floats and it is very effective. So you have to experiment and try things :z16 this is good.

I add an olive thread and a scarlet red thread to your basic selection for now, and some glo-brite floss in colours 7 and 11 for making cheeks, tails and thoraxes. That would about cover most buzzer combo's you will ever want to tie :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com