Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Burnett

Flie tying kit
« on: 17/04/2013 at 20:46 »
Hello have been looking at a cheep kit to get in to tying my one flies have had a look at this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-COMPLETE-FLY-TYING-KIT-IN-CORDURA-CARRY-CASE-/390577403777?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5af03a3781

What is you think or is there any better kits out there

Loxiafan

Re: Flie tying kit
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2013 at 22:36 »
Hello have been looking at a cheep kit to get in to tying my one flies have had a look at this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-COMPLETE-FLY-TYING-KIT-IN-CORDURA-CARRY-CASE-/390577403777?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5af03a3781

What is you think or is there any better kits out there

Don't buy a kit, you will get stuff with it that you don't need or will never use, it is generally a false economy !

Go and speak to Ben Dixon (Ben_D on here) at Orvis in Banchory - he will advise you on a decent starter vice and good materials, tools and hooks for patterns you can use for the type of fishing you intend and that also will catch fish for you !  :z16

Lindsay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2013 at 07:23 »
Don't buy a kit, you will get stuff with it that you don't need or will never use, it is generally a false economy !

Go and speak to Ben Dixon (Ben_D on here) at Orvis in Banchory - he will advise you on a decent starter vice and good materials, tools and hooks for patterns you can use for the type of fishing you intend and that also will catch fish for you !  :z16

Lindsay

Hear Hear :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2013 at 08:09 »
Agreed.

Pick say half a dozen patterns you want to tie, then get the material and hooks for them.

Some patterns may be too difficult to start with so maybe put your list on here and folk will be able to tell you what ones to go for.

For me, based on the waters you mentioned elsewhere, I would suggest the following flies as being easy to tie, and would catch fish:

Buzzer (In black, red and olive, but mainly black versions) Very easy to tie, give a coat of nail varnish and they last ages
IPN (In white, olive and black) Small sizes can be used as Damsel fly nymphs, large as pulling lures or fry patterns. Peacock Spider. Good general purpose fly that introduces you to tying a fly with a hackle.
Shipmans Buzzer. (In fiery brown, olive, black). A stillwater try fly that introduces a dubbed body. Very effective when trout are up on the top.

...and I can't really think of any more. All the above are easy to tie and proven fish catchers. They all form the basis of a good foundation to build on.

Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2013 at 15:05 »
Thanks for the reply so stay away from the kits

Was looking to start off with buzzer and work on from there

Will pm Ben_D or go for a run up past

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2013 at 15:26 »
Have a look on Youtube for patterns. Davie McPhail is the master by a long way, but Fishtec do some good ones.

http://youtu.be/yj9RQihvStg

They list the materials at the end of the vid.

Burnett

« Reply #6 on: 18/04/2013 at 15:37 »
Thanks for that YouTube has been my best friend wee all the different knots for tying different things

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2013 at 19:15 »
Look for Davie McPhail on YouTube. His videos are truly excellent.

Cheers

Matt

Burnett

« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2013 at 22:01 »
Thanks to Ben for sorting me out today will post up some pics when I tie  I first fly 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 26/04/2013 at 23:01 »
No problem Alan  :z16

Good luck with it, look forward to seeing some flies.

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 27/04/2013 at 08:34 »
If your wanting to start tying up buzzers you wont need much equipment.

Do you need a list of tools or just materials for getting started!
I could rustle up a kit out of my old equipment and materials if you were interested?

Baz

Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 27/04/2013 at 10:05 »
If your wanting to start tying up buzzers you wont need much equipment.

Do you need a list of tools or just materials for getting started!
I could rustle up a kit out of my old equipment and materials if you were interested?

Baz

Thanks for the offer just got all new kit from Ben yesterday

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 27/04/2013 at 10:25 »
What did you for kit wise?

Burnett

« Reply #13 on: 02/05/2013 at 19:34 »
Well got a bit off time to try out my new fly tying kit so hear is my first fly ples go easy on me

Sorry for the poor pic will have to get the dslr out to get a better one

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 02/05/2013 at 21:01 »
You need to use a different background colour for contrast. Blue is popular for flies.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com