Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

AFFTA Line Classification
« on: 07/04/2013 at 12:22 »
Why would the AFFTA make the fly line weight standards over the first 30ft minus the level tip?

Why not just the weight over the first 30ft?

http://www.affta.com/

Hamish Young

Re: AFFTA Line Classification
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:15 »
Because their Americans Mike. 'Nuff said.
Sorry Rich  :wink

H :cool:

Will Shaw

« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2013 at 12:48 »
I always thought it was because manufacturers couldn't guarantee how much "tip" there would be left on the line after cutting at the end of the production line. Dunno where that came from so it could be another myth.  :z8

W.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2013 at 14:05 »
that's no myth, Will.
thing is, in practical terms of the line's performance the level tip doesn't help much for turnover.
it leaves us with a 'flat spot' between the end of the line's front taper and leader butt.
the longer that 'flat spot' is the more detrimental it is to energy transmission.
for optimal performance it's best to reduce it as much as possible and configure the leader butt diameter from there.

cheers,
marc

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2013 at 19:14 »
I always thought it was because manufacturers couldn't guarantee how much "tip" there would be left on the line after cutting at the end of the production line. Dunno where that came from so it could be another myth.  :z8

W.

That's how I understand it Will.

Cheers

Ben

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #5 on: 08/04/2013 at 20:51 »
The level piece at the tip is a sacrifical piece, meant for those who still needle/nail knot their leaders to the line. That way the line lasts longer before one starts cutting back the front taper.
Since it's meant to disappear it wasn't counted in the standards weight. Most lines now a days doesn't even have a level piece at the tip.... Instead they have a nice doubled piece of bulk  :X2

Cheers
Lasse

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 08/04/2013 at 21:19 »
It's a question that I'm frequently asked by folk trying to measure and weigh their lines ......... and I pretty much share your thoughts about the length of level tips, I would imagine that was the reason why it was put in place in the standards.

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2013 at 21:46 »
6-8" tip is fine for me, I still nail knot and like to know I've enough to play with before I start cutting into the front taper.  I only like welded loops on salmon lines or #7 + single handed lines that will be used with poly leaders or for a range of different stuff.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com