Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

broken vice
« on: 05/04/2013 at 22:50 »
After many years of faithful service, I managed to break my vice tonight. Personally I blame goolager as I decided to make some tiny nymphs on size 20hooks having seen some of his creations in previous posts. Anyway enough bitching I need to buy a new vice which can hold hooks from Salmon size flies down to tiny trout sizes.

I tie a lot of flies in a season and need something robust and reliable, any suggestions?

Eddie.

Hamish Young

Re: broken vice
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2013 at 08:11 »
How much do you want to spend and how much can you get away with spending :?

H

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2013 at 11:14 »
Hamish,
the answer to both your questions is up to £250.00.

Eddie.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2013 at 11:53 »
OK, how's about:
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stonfo-flytec-lever-vice~8815.html
or
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=62KE
or dig a wee bit deeper
http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2531/products/renzetti_presentation_2000_vice.aspx
or just a smidgen more.....
http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2969/products/marc_petitjean_swiss_vice_c_clamp_version.aspx

I have a different version of the Petitjean and love it - it does take pretty much hooks of every size  :wink
Wallet crunchingly expensive, but they are quality.

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 06/04/2013 at 12:13 »
Has anybody tried the Vosseler vice? What do you make of it?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 06/04/2013 at 12:49 »
Has anybody tried the Vosseler vice? What do you make of it?

it's the perfect Throne-Vice !    :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2013 at 13:05 »
I like it  :z4  :z4  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 06/04/2013 at 16:22 »
That's just wrong on soooo many levels it's...... just wrong  :z7

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2013 at 16:46 »
Eddie

What are you used too? Different styles seem to suit different people.
I can't get to grips with a dynaking angled head style but Luurve the Renzetti vices. I currently tie on an Abel vice which i got for the hook range.
Don't think they make them any more, But i used to use a Renzetti presentation 3000 and it was fantastic for trout flies, i changed it Because i needed a bigger range.
Now i'm home i would happily swap the Abel for another Renzetti 3000.

The renzetti traveller vices are brilliant and good value and i think if i had £250 to spend i'd get one of these , the range is less specific than the 3000 ands it covers loads of sizes. http://www.lakelandflytying.com/73281/products/renzetti_traveler_2300_black_vice.aspx

But then i like Rotary vices :z16

If you like pivot head vices The DYna Kings are mostly in Budget and they are Built to last and awesome quality.

Lots out there and you will likely get different ideas from different people, try to figure out where you sit your hands when you tie and that should suggest what will be comfortable :z16

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2013 at 17:07 »
Guys,
thanks for all the advise. So many choices out there. I am used to a rotary vice and I must say that the Renzetti range looks great so I will go out and get my hands on some different models before shelling out the cash but I need to do it soon as Steven has my trout fly boxes in New Zealand and I need to tie some in the next couple of weeks. :z16

Eddie

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 06/04/2013 at 18:20 »
Veniard No.4 spring lever vice, £30 ish and is all that is required.  Takes pretty much any size of hook and there is no fannying about setting tension.  When the jaws wear out, bin it and buy a new one, I doubt you'd break one.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 06/04/2013 at 21:20 »
Veniard No.4 spring lever vice, £30 ish and is all that is required

Nice one Steptoe!  :z4

Iain

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 06/04/2013 at 21:52 »
Iain,
What vice do you use for small hooks?

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:37 »
Ed,

I've got a Snowbee Waldron, bought it when it was £180, it's now £299 from Sportfish. Decent vise, but a £300 vise  ZX2 . I liked the look of the Renzetti's when I was deciding which type to buy but the price and local availability of the Snowbee was favourable.

I'm not best placed to advise what to get as I haven't really physically seen what's out there at the moment.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 07/04/2013 at 08:27 »
Nice one Steptoe!  :z4

Iain

I'm not joking mate, see all these vices with twiddly knobs to set hooks and bobbin cradles & interchangeable jaws etc?  It just makes tying a fly take longer than it needs to.  OK, so the Veniard one ain't pretty but the style of vice and its functionality is superb and all it needs to be.

Maybe worth looking at the Regal vice Eddie save you getting the piss ripped for Veniard pauper edition vice, it's the same thing but looks nicer and cost about 8 times the money :z4

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com