Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

This Months inspiration
« on: 05/04/2013 at 15:31 »
I was reading Ollie Edwards article in this months FF&FT where he is using the J.Son Legs and bits and pieces.
So Inspired, i went on their excellant website and ordered a selection of bits i thought i could have some fun with.

Shameless Plug http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/jsons-fly-fishing-fly-tying-products/   :z16 Well deserved.

Now i have a copy of the FlyTyers masterclass and have worked my way through it over a couple of winters, just for fun, many of the flies i've simplified for actual fishing with :z18 They take a long time to tie and you wouldn't want to loose them.

So with plans to go fishing today put on the back burner due to a belly ache and then with the arrival of a box from Sweden this morning, I decided to partake of my first love, which is to tie some flies. Now with some inspiration from Mr Edwards and a copy of the FSC ephemeroptera guide i decide to see what i could make that was realistic but still fairly simple to tie. It took a good few attempts before i was completely happy with the ease of tying and getting the new Legs to work out the way i invisaged, but i got there in the end IMHO and i have a nice wee selection of march brown nymphs from the experiments, which are all good enough to catch fish :z16

Impressionists look away now, unless you have a desire to tweek the impression into something a touch more realistic :X2

This is a couple of the MB nymphs viewed from the top. Tied on a size 12 TMC 200R

The same two nymphs viewed from below

This is one of them in profile, so they should swim quite well too :z16

Basically there is a tail of Coq de leon, an abdomen of nymph skin are other fine latex, a rib of ostrich herl clipped top and bottom, a pair of micro dumbell eyes and a thorax of Squirrel. The N3 size legs are attached on the underside using spiderweb after the fly is tied and the wingcase is Bug Bond in a couple of coats to build into the shape, A little colour is added courtesy of Pantone. Takes about 5 mins to tie once you've done a few and they do look good, will aim to give the try out next week sometime.

I also tried some of the smaller N5 legs in a darker colour as i thought they might make a nice looking Olive nymph, if not anatomically correct :X2
This came out quite nice too and was dead easy to tie. Again Coq de leon for the tail, Olive latex for the abdomen, Baetis brown olive for the thorax, Tungsten head, Legs attached afterwards with spiderweb and wing case done with bug bond. Quick and effective.

They might not be quite as impressive as Olly's ones in the magazine but i'm happy as they are quite quick to tie and look really effective, the legs are very soft so i don't know how trout they will last, but i'm looking forward to finding out. :z18

Cheers

Sandy

ps i got some of the caddis legs too, so we shall see how they turn out. :wink

Eddie Sinclair

Re: This Months inspiration
« Reply #1 on: 05/04/2013 at 15:40 »
Sandy,
they look great.

Eddie.

Mike Barrio

Re: This Months inspiration New
« Reply #2 on: 05/04/2013 at 15:45 »
They look awesome Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2013 at 17:44 »
wow, amazing work.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 05/04/2013 at 18:17 »
Very nice sandy. Think I'm even more impressed with your use of the word trout as an adjective  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 05/04/2013 at 18:20 »
 :z4 :z4 :X1

I was so excited to get back to the vice to try some olive uprights and yellow mays, my grammar went all to pot and i didn't notice.

Insert the word ..."many".....

:z18

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 05/04/2013 at 19:01 »
Very nice sandy. Think I'm even more impressed with your use of the word trout as an adjective  :z4

:z4 :z4 :z4

cool bugs Sandy !  :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 05/04/2013 at 20:17 »
:z4 :z4 :X1

I was so excited to get back to the vice to try some olive uprights and yellow mays, my grammar went all to pot and i didn't notice.

Insert the word ..."many".....

Sandy

Booo I thought you meant it!!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 05/04/2013 at 20:55 »
Great flymphs Sandy  :z16               nice

Hopefully they will fish well.

Noel, do you mean 'adverb'

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 05/04/2013 at 21:19 »
Great flymphs Sandy  :z16               nice

Hopefully they will fish well.

Noel, do you mean 'adverb'

Iain

Hi Iain 'adverb' why no, no I didn't.

Did you perhaps mean

"Those are shite sandy, hope you loose them first cast"

It's gonna be fun writing each others posts for one another.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 05/04/2013 at 21:41 »
on the plonk again Kellogs?

No, I didn't mean that about Sandy's flies (but imagine if he did loose them all on the bottom) he, he!

Iain

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 05/04/2013 at 22:05 »
Iain,
I take it that you meant lose on the bottom.

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 05/04/2013 at 22:18 »
 :z4  :z4 hic! yehs I dod

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 05/04/2013 at 22:28 »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, SCORPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woops, my bad, upside down Sandy bug. Phew!

Great work there Sandyman. If they don't catch, who cares?(Iain) They look ace!
Top job. God my flies are crap......
 :z1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2013 at 00:09 »
It's gonna be fun writing each others posts for one another.

:z4 :z4 :z4    :z16

Sandy, what are (who makes) those tiny dumb-bell eyes ?

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com