Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

josh

Loch awe fishing trip
« on: 01/04/2013 at 14:31 »
hi, im looking to go to loch awe on a weeks fishing trip. there is so many different places and cottages to look at and different parts of the loch. I was just wondering if anyone has been here and if so could you give me some advive on booking somewhere to stay and the fishing,

Thanks josh

Hamish Young

Re: Loch awe fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2013 at 19:31 »
Josh,
Concious that no-one has posted something so thought I'd fire a quick reply. It's really not somewhere I've stayed as I always just drove there for day trips when I lived near Fort William.
Loch Awe is a lot of fun on a good day and a nice place to be on a sh1t day - much like any loch in Scotland :wink :z7 I fished with a family friend who is no longer with us from his boat so cannot advise on best place to hire a boat from.
I guess it depends on your plans..... if after Ferox then it seems very much the place to be at the moment if you're handy/know what you're doing.
I would be heading there soon if after Ferox.
H :cool:

josh

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2013 at 20:40 »
Hamish,

I am headin there on the 18th of may for 5 days and im really going to be tageting the brownies on the rise and hoping to do a lot on the dry fly side of things weather dependant. But father in law will just be spinning i think as not really a fisher. I have found an outboard boat for £15 a day through my cabin owner which is a good price too. Im not really after big ferrox but if i have a wee spin and one takes the hook i wont complain. My mrs is coming too and i want too see her catch a fish haha but not sure if worming is allowed but i would think it would be if spinning is,

Josh

mikeb

« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2013 at 13:03 »
Hi Josh - I'm a fairly recent arrival from Oban, and used to fish that area.  If you fancy a day traipsing the hills, I'd definitely recommend the Kilmelford Hill Lochs.  There's a website describing them here:
http://www.fishing-argyll.co.uk/kilmelford-hill-lochs.html
You can access them from the Kilchrenan road (close to Loch Awe), but it's a long way on a very narrow road.  Easier route is to drive through Oban to Kilmelford, pick up a day permit at the Kilmelford Post Office (for next-to-nothing) and head up the wee road from there - you can park a mile or so in.
Of the lochs on that site, the Feinn Lochs are my favourite - but they're also the longest hike.  Beautiful wild fish, up to a good size, and spectacular views. There are plenty of other closer ones too.

Mike

josh

« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2013 at 18:35 »
Hi mike i will sure follow this up as i dont mind a good walk.
Just glad someone got back as not alot of people seem to know much.

Josh

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2013 at 18:50 »
Just glad someone got back as not alot of people seem to know much.

Tell you what josh, why don't you post something about your adventures when you get back. The next time someone asks a question about that part of the world on the forum you can pass on the benefit of your experience with your father in law spinning and your wife worming.

Enjoy :z16

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com