Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

River Ness Dochfour beat 29/3/13
« on: 29/03/2013 at 21:56 »
No pics guys, sorry. I had an interesting day on Dochfour today with Grant Sutherland, but the day wasn't laced with springers  :z10

It is a nice piece of water that I will make a return trip to again this year, I was on the upper beat and there was  just me fishing with Grant to keep me right. Practical upshot of the day was one kelt landed, two pulls or 'maybes' that were good long hard pulls but came to nothing. Actually, one of those pulls just about pulled the rod out of my arm...... but nothing came of it.

One fresh fish seen and a great rise of trout to olives between 11am and 'lunch'.

Learning points for the day:
1. Sort fly boxes out before going fishing, don't believe that divine intervention in the form of order from chaos will actually take place  :z4
2. Practice my casting or better still just 'get out' and fish more often.
3. A month and a half after quitting, I can confirm that I do not need nicotine when fishing. Being out fishing is now my high...... man  :z3
4. A full day by the river is more tiring than I remember.  I'm fair scunnered  :shock
5. I am now a fan of the Partridge 'Patriot' tube fly singles. They're good and long wing flies don't get 'tied up' like they can with doubles.

H :cool:

Iain Goolager

Re: River Ness Dochfour beat 29/3/13
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:03 »
A lot to be taken from the day then  :z16

6. remember the camera

I've been out twice this year on very windy days and I did think to myself that the long wings had never once caught around the hook.  :z16

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:06 »
6. remember the camera

Ohhhh I had the camera with me, but it was too f*cking cold to take pics for most of the day and when it was warm enough I was in the hut drinking coffee  :z7

H

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:06 »
Coffee??????????????????? :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8

Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:14 »
Coffee??????????????????? :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8

Eddie

Yup, coffee - with no additives other than milk. I seldom have anything stronger ........until I get home  :z16

H :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:53 »
Month and a half of the smokes eh! Well done big fella must be something in the air, 3 weeks tomorrow myself :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 29/03/2013 at 23:01 »
Month and a half of the smokes eh! Well done big fella must be something in the air, 3 weeks tomorrow myself :z16

Cheers and well done yerself, the worst is over  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 30/03/2013 at 09:44 »
3. A month and a half after quitting, I can confirm that I do not need nicotine when fishing. Being out fishing is now my high...... man 

Spare lighter now removed from my tackle bag. Welcome to the wagon sir.  :z16 I still can't believe that I've been off them for 7 1/2 years.

Sounds like a grand day out mate. Now go and sort out your fly boxes!

:z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 30/03/2013 at 10:01 »
I can trump that Euan , 28 years or so for me. Still get the urge now and again as well  :wink........ I also still could go a cigarette  :z13

Keep up the good work guys  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com