Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Fishing bags
« on: 29/03/2013 at 17:55 »
Ughhh...... Here i go again.

Car is nice and clean, post winter proper clean, 4hrs worth of rinsing, cleaning, De-tar spotting, pre wax and 2 coats of Hybrid wax. Proper wheels and tyre's back on, they've been waxed as well, even the exhaust has been polished. Looks Awesome :z12
Had a haircut and now i sit down to relax and my little brain is overflowing with ideas.

So it starts out with a plan to look for a plastic reel for the estuary and ends up with catalogues read back to front just to look at the nice pictures :roll

So in the orvis catalogue is an interesting fishing bag which strikes me as being quite clever, probably not new but the first time i've come across it and paid any attention. Its called a Sling Pack and looks smart in Digi Camo.

Now i've been toying with the idea of changing from using a waistcoat this year, but then a look in the cupboard reveals 3 waistcoats :shock, a rake upstairs reveals 2 traditional fishing bags (which i tend to use for holding stuff in the boot of the car before i load the waistcoat) , a flats pack and a mini chest pack (this gets used down the Ythan and holds just enough to make me minimalist  :lol).
This makes me wonder what the Sling pack might be like for the Don. Will it hold 3 Wheatley 6" size fly boxes, my camera, a small spare spool and a lightweight packable raincoat.
I can see from the pictures it will take my snips, forceps, tippet and floatant in a rather clever way, a bit like a waistcoat.
However can i hang a wooden handle net from it practically? Like my waistcoat :X2 I do like the idea of not having things in front of me when casting and plodging around on the river.

Does anyone have one already? Or Ben, do you have one in the shop i can come and play with :z8 Might be an excuse to look at the Encounter reel as well :X2

Sandy

Matt Henderson

Re: Fishing bags
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2013 at 18:11 »
I think Iain has the entire range!

Will Shaw

« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2013 at 18:15 »
Hey Sandy

It really depends on the size of your camera. If it's a compact camera and a very packable (paclite or summat) raincoat then I think you'd be in with a shout. There's a loop on there to hang a net off if i remember right.

BUT...

I think if you hang on you'll see the new Guide Sling pack which is bigger but on the same design template. I've not seen this in the flesh but the vids on line look good. Dunno if it's arrived in-store yet. Ben?

Btw I like your sunny optimism about having to keep the raincoat in the pack!  :z12

W.

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2013 at 18:52 »
Here is what i have decided to try out this season Sandy
http://www.visionflyfishing.com/page.php?c=46&page_id=33&pid=178

Used it for the first time on the Deveron last week, i managed to fit all i needed for my days fishing in it.
3 reels, 4 spools of tippet, 2 fly boxes, some food, water and some extra cold weather gear ect. Didn't think i would get so much in it. Also i could hang my net from the 'D' ring on the back of it.
It didnt hinder my casting and also sat high enough on the body not to get wet while wading in deepish water.

Cheers,
Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 29/03/2013 at 19:13 »
Had my beady eye on Orvis Guide Sling pack - not in shop on Thursday though  :roll A few folks complain it gets in the way of casting so I'd want to try it first.

I bought a fancy Tailwaters wading jacket but it does not hold everything I need, so I do need something ?

Lindsay

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 29/03/2013 at 19:42 »
how many waistcoats? you will be branded as a tackle tart, I used to do my fishing with a bumbag which held all my essentials, but I carry a wee stove so now I have  a waistcoat And a small rucksack, my sherpa doesnt fish any more so this year I will be mainly back to a mesh waistcoat,from the States, I hope I dont forget my rod,  :X1 easgach 1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 29/03/2013 at 20:05 »
I have one from when the livery was olive and grey.

I really liked it as far as luggage goes and it holds a shed load of kit. There was also a further pouch that clipped onto the face of the pack. If memory serves me well it had a D ring or similar for a net which sits fine until you have to sling the pack round to your front to access stuff, which is only to be expected.
I could speculate further but to be spot on it'd be better if I get it out and take a phot or two, I can do this once the snapper is in his bed.
You are also welcome to trial it but I'd never part with it.

Iain

Best ever vest is the Simms Vertical Master

I have a Simms chest pack to try this season, in my ever continuing search for the Holy Grail. Only problem is where to hang my net when I don't have a jacket on. I have seen something though...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 29/03/2013 at 20:14 »
how many waistcoats? you will be branded as a tackle tart

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That made me laugh properly, thank you for making my evening :z18

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 29/03/2013 at 21:41 »

The add on pouch - enough room for a fly box and camera in a hard case.

The quick release fastener for adding pouch to main pack

The main front pouch - enough room for 2 off C&F large fly boxes

A nice touch - pouch for a set of forceps

The main compartment - holds a heap (bottle of Robinsons for scale)

The generous & comfortable shoulder strap with 'D' Ring for net

A nice touch - moulded soft 'fish' zip toggles

Sandy, I haven't had a close look at the new version but I don't think that the features are identical to the new camo version. There is one in Banchory which is handy for you to look at  :z6   

As I said before, I like mine & the fact that I only use it now and again is no slur on it's functionality.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 29/03/2013 at 22:55 »
OK, so two things here.

One - An Orvis pro wading jacket will sort out what you want to carry without the man-bag / fanny pack / slingback bag and will keep you warm and dry. Loads of room for all the extras (and Robinsons barley water) :z16
and two,

Car is nice and clean, post winter proper clean, 4hrs worth of rinsing, cleaning, De-tar spotting, pre wax and 2 coats of Hybrid wax. Proper wheels and tyre's back on, they've been waxed as well, even the exhaust has been polished. Looks Awesome

Dude that is so premature! Post winter my shiny metal ass! We'll have another month of the cold, snowy stuff yet mate, so sit tight on the throne and look at more catalogues and don't slide off the road on those summer tyres.

:wink :z1

Loxiafan

« Reply #10 on: 30/03/2013 at 00:33 »
One - An Orvis pro wading jacket will sort out what you want to carry without the man-bag / fanny pack / slingback bag and will keep you warm and dry. Loads of room for all the extras (and Robinsons barley water) :z16
and two,

Tailwaters, great jacket but no enuff room for a' my sh1te ! So Orvis 'manbag' for me when the Guide sling is available !

Dan, I cannae bring myself to buy anything that says "bra" in the label, though perhaps someone is trying to tell me something !  :z4

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2013 at 07:54 »
OK, so two things here.

One - An Orvis pro wading jacket will sort out what you 
Dude that is so premature! Post winter my shiny metal ass! We'll have another month of the cold, snowy stuff yet mate, so sit tight on the throne and look at more catalogues and don't slide off the road on those summer tyres.

Cheers Euan

The car is positive thinking :z16 that perhaps the weather gods will look down and go well it must be time for spring now, the LDO's are trying it, so I though I might too, besides the weather was perfect for waxing a car yesterday and she sorely needed some attention after all the salt. So I went for it. If nothing else then she has some good protection for the coming weeks.

The jacket idea is also something i was thinking about. I'm carrying 3 fly boxes, a compact camera, a small spare spool, 3 spools of tippet, some accessories (forceps, floatant, etc) a permit and a wooden net. A bottle of water is likely and a snickers along with my packable jacket. So it wouldn't take up much room and fits a waistcoat quite neatly. Only drawback
with the coat is I like to fish in shirtsleeves so I would take it off. :roll and that kinda defeats the plan. Hence why I was thinking bags, that I can wear while wading.

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions, I think the guide version is going to be unnecessarily large for what I want.
Dan, regarding the new vision products, it has connotations that might suit some  :z4 but It has too much out front for me :z4 :z4

Will have to find a window to pop across to banchory.
 :z18

Sandy

danbruce

« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2013 at 09:58 »
Dan, I cannae bring myself to buy anything that says "bra" in the label, though perhaps someone is trying to tell me something !  
Yes i know who ever decided on the name should be shot. :z4

Good luck in finding what your looking for Sandy.

:z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 30/03/2013 at 11:08 »
Yes i know who ever decided on the name should be shot. :z4

in Swedish, bra means 'good' and mycket bra 'very good' or literally 'much good'.
after WJ bags (way after...) it is indeed probably the best chest pack there is but i wholeheartedly agree whoever came up with such a stupid name should be shot repeatedly...  :z16

anyhow, a nice feature with the slings is having the net swing around and sitting right on top of the bag preventing access to the bag when you need it...   :X2the best part about sling bags is they a little easier than other models to sling far away into a dump pile or fire once you've realized what utter bunk they are.

cheers,
marc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 30/03/2013 at 11:46 »

anyhow, a nice feature with the slings is having the net swing around and sitting right on top of the bag preventing access to the bag when you need it...   :X2the best part about sling bags is they a little easier than other models to sling far away into a dump pile or fire once you've realized what utter bunk they are.

Now thats the answer i was expecting, thank you Marc. From the pictures i've seen thats what i was expecting to happen, i was wondering if it would :z16

Back to the drawing board and NO i won't wear a necklace :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com