Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

fish finder, old cast of a large salmon
« on: 10/04/2013 at 09:58 »
Folks

Ken Reid of Fish Dee sent me this message, and is looking to see if anyone has any info:

I had a message from a Malcolm Watson from Westhill about a huge Dee salmon.

Quote:
There was a cast of a Salmon in William Browns in Belmont Street, the fish being caught at Drum Pool on the Friday, but not weighed until the following Monday. It was weighed in at 61 lbs. When the shop was finally closed, George Denholm sold the cast, so it probably still exists somewhere. It was reputed to be bigger than Georgina Ballantyne's one from the Tay, but the three day wait for the weighing dropped it down below the record.

Can anyone provide any more information about this fish?

I can’t see a reference to a Drum Pool at Ardoe-pool names can change though over time-I don’t know if this is the big fish caught at Ardoe?

Would be great if we could track down where this cast is these days ! Any info would be great.

Regards

Ken

Ken Reid, Fisheries Development Officer
DDSFB & River Dee Trust Office
Mill of Dinnet, Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, Scotland,AB34 5LA
D +44 (0) 13398 80411 M +44 (0) 7979 878971
E-Mail ken@riverdee.org
www.riverdee.organdwww.fishdee.co.uk
River Dee Trust Registered Charity No SC028497

Rob Brownfield

Re: fish finder, old cast of a large salmon
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2013 at 10:27 »
Now, I could be wrong, but does this fish not hang in Crocketts of Blairgowrie? I am sure that fish was 60+ pounds and pretty sure there are not many of that size kicking around.

I could be way off track but maybe worth a call?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2013 at 10:34 »
Possibly one of these two?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2013 at 11:27 »
Blimey, that photo must have been dug out the National Archives!!

Looking at those fish, the one in Crocketts cannot be the fish in question as it is silver and no kype.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2013 at 11:48 »
Strange that this should come up when there are few fish about on the Dee and loads of availability  :z4

Never heard of the fish but would be good to see the cast.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2013 at 13:22 »
Just found this... http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2012/oct/22/cast-from-record-salmon-catch-takes-5500-at-auction/

Mentions being weighed (61lbs) by a Mr Harper of tackle makers, Brown and Co. Same Browns as in William Brown?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2013 at 22:22 »
The cast of the 61lb fish which used to hang on the wall in Browns was a cast of the fish caught by Tiny Morrison on the Deveron.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2013 at 22:40 »
The cast of the 61lb fish which used to hang on the wall in Browns was a cast of the fish caught by Tiny Morrison on the Deveron.

That is what I believe to be correct too Graham :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2013 at 08:59 »

So its the fish I posted a link to then?

"Two years after Georgina Ballentine hooked a 64lb fish using a spinning bait on the Tay (still a British record), Clementina 'Tiny' Morison landed a similar monster on a fly in the Lower Shaw Pool on the banks of the Deveron.

On the day of her fabled catch, October 21, 1924, the slimly-built Tiny had already caught other sizable fish - two of 16lb each and another of 12lb. She wrote to her friend Lt Col W. Keith (who had lost a very large fish in the same pool the previous year) reporting the drama: "I rushed down, put my hands in his gills and dragged him up onto the bank. He looked enormous lying there - a huge male fish, well hooked but a beautiful shape and coloured. Sim [the gamekeeper] said 'My goodness, he is over 50lb I believe'. I had no idea what a prize he was. We sent him to Aberdeen by the first train to get a plaster cast made."

The plaster cast of that fish (one of two made before the fish was smoked and kippered) hung for many years in Clementina Morison's Mountblairy home before it was acquired by the vendor who entered it for sale at Glasgow's Mulberry Bank Auctions on October 13.

Mounted in a heavy oak frame, it was inscribed with the vital statistics: Caught by Mrs Morison in Lower Shaw, Mountblairy on 1¼in Brown Wing Killer, 21st Oct. 1924, 61lbs, Length 52¼in, Girth 34in.

Record Catch

It remains the biggest salmon ever caught on a fly in the UK, although accounts at the time suggest it might just have weighed a little more when 'grassed'. According to the fishing tackle maker Mr Harper, of Brown & Co., who officially weighed the fish the following day, it had probably already lost "a pound or two" in transit.

All this information and more was included in the 1992 booklet Mrs 'Tiny' Morison's Deveron Salmon - The Definitive Account that accompanied the lot sold for £5500 (plus 17.5% buyer premium).

The buyer, prepared to go significantly above the estimate of £3000-4000, was the chairman of the Deveron Rivers Trust. The aim is to have it on display and make a further cast to take around the local schools."

So the Chairman of the Devron Trust has the fish...mystry solved!

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2012/oct/22/cast-from-record-salmon-catch-takes-5500-at-auction/

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2013 at 09:05 »
Very good Rob, i think we had read your link :z16

If you look closely at Mike's picture and the one on Your Link they look slightly different to my eyes. (pectoral fins and jawline are slightly different shapes, not by much though) and the link states they made 2 plaster casts. My guess is they are not the same the cast, BUT are the same fish. Does anyone know any different :z8

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com