Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: MacKenzie DTX Perflex
« Reply #30 on: 25/06/2013 at 11:19 »
Got the full range of Perflex in stock now.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 25/06/2013 at 11:28 »
To late...bought a secondhand one!! £250 off of Gumtree. 5 hours use ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 26/06/2013 at 08:06 »
To late...bought a secondhand one!! £250 off of Gumtree. 5 hours use ;)

Really :? :! I am surprised one found its way there so quickly. What length :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 26/06/2013 at 10:41 »
Really :? :! I am surprised one found its way there so quickly. What length :?

Nah..I did not buy it  :X2, but there was one on Aberdeen Gumtree, 15 footer, chap says he bought it, used it one day and now wants to sell.

Was tempted though...going for the Shakey Oracle Scandi instead me thinks.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #34 on: 26/06/2013 at 15:11 »
Nah..I did not buy it  :X2, but there was one on Aberdeen Gumtree, 15 footer, chap says he bought it, used it one day and now wants to sell.

Was tempted though...going for the Shakey Oracle Scandi instead me thinks.
Yeah, I'd get the Shakey too Rob.  The perflex must be crap if some guy sold it after five hours use, I hear the Shakespeare is the same blank anyway, some guy on a forum told me so  ZX3

(For anyone else reading this, I am taking the p*&s)

Good luck Rob, no comparison but you get what you pay for!  :wink

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 26/06/2013 at 17:07 »
Too late Jim

Rob bought it, or maybe he didn't or perhaps it turned out to be a new spinning rod for Pike ZX3

why?...................... ZX2

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 27/06/2013 at 09:17 »
Good luck Rob, no comparison but you get what you pay for!  :wink

You do indeed, but sometimes you find a gem.

For a rod I will use maybe 5 times a year, I cannot justify a £300+ Perflex although I did enjoy casting with it.

£150 is a little easier to swallow.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #38 on: 27/06/2013 at 13:15 »
Fair enough Rob, get some tennis racket tape to go over the handle on the Shakey so it does not disintegrate on you.  Not a bad blank but possibly the worst cork I have ever seen on a salmon rod!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #39 on: 28/06/2013 at 10:05 »
Fair enough Rob, get some tennis racket tape to go over the handle on the Shakey so it does not disintegrate on you.  Not a bad blank but possibly the worst cork I have ever seen on a salmon rod!

The two I have seen have had superb cork.

You know I am extremely fussy about cork and it is not the cheap rods I have had issues with in the past.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #40 on: 28/06/2013 at 10:16 »
The two I have seen have had superb cork.

You know I am extremely fussy about cork and it is not the cheap rods I have had issues with in the past.

Seen a good number of these through teaching Rob, cork on every one has been crap to absolutely appaling and I know several guys who have returned them after a few uses due to the handle dropping to bits.  Make sure get a look at the one you want to buy rather than get it mail order, yes it may cost you an extra 50p and some fuel but it will be worth it.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #41 on: 28/06/2013 at 14:02 »
Seen a good number of these through teaching Rob, cork on every one has been crap to absolutely appaling and I know several guys who have returned them after a few uses due to the handle dropping to bits.  Make sure get a look at the one you want to buy rather than get it mail order, yes it may cost you an extra 50p and some fuel but it will be worth it.

Cheers

Ben

Are you talking about the new Scandi or the older IV...because there is a world of difference in the finish.

There were two Scandis at the Legion last wednesday with a group of anglers up fishing (look out for an online rod review). They had the 14' 9" and one of the Exp versions along with perhaps 20 other rods that they had pooled together. Of that group of rods (From the £150 Scandi to close on £1000 Hardys, the Scandi was middle of the rod in finish. There were £300-£400 rods with worse cork/finish.

My heart is not set on the Scandi, but its an option. I have not seen the final production Perflex so who knows, I may fall in live with it!..lol

Ben Dixon

« Reply #42 on: 28/06/2013 at 18:30 »
Are you talking about the new Scandi or the older IV...because there is a world of difference in the finish.

Both Rob.  Possibly hit & miss and depends upon what is available at the factory at the time of production, you know how much decent cork costs!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com