Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: MacKenzie DTX Perflex
« Reply #15 on: 28/03/2013 at 09:10 »
I notice there are huge reductions on the current DTX's obviously in preparation.

Not entirely accurate that my colleague, the DTX G2 replaced the original DTX last year, so remaining DTX stock is on a clear down in retailers.
The Perflex is an all new mid-price range and shouldn't be confused with any of the other MacKenzie range.

Awesome value at these prices, looks like a good time to buy a Superb Fishing rod.

Agreed they are absolutely a bargain, fantastic rods at that price.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 28/03/2013 at 09:26 »
So, the next question has to be, wait for the Perflex or by the older DTX at a slightly higher price?

Ideally, I would be using it with shooting heads.

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 28/03/2013 at 10:04 »
I would wait for the Perflex as it is, after all, new to the market.
But if you see yourself mainly fishing with shooting heads why not buy a MacKenzie shooting head rod :z17 :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 28/03/2013 at 10:18 »
But if you see yourself mainly fishing with shooting heads why not buy a MacKenzie shooting head rod :z17 :z16

Cost!  :z10

If I did not have a feather bonnet :oops to buy I would go for the DTX Shooting Head rod.

My other option is to go for the 14' 6" version of the Guideline Scandi style rod I already use, but I cannot find one on the market..and they are the same price as the MacKenzie DYX SH anyway.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 28/03/2013 at 12:22 »
Rob,

There is no stock in the country as yet, to my knowledge they have not even been shipped from the factory yet, they should be here in approx 2 weeks.  I'm not sure that GAC advertising them already has been well received........

The difference between the DTX SH rod and most Guideline rods is that the DTX bends deeper when pushed rather than almost locking up half way down the blank which makes it far more versatile.  Forget the whole "shooting head rod because I fish heads" thing.  Buy a decent rod with a progressive action and it will cast any line you care to put on it. 

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 28/03/2013 at 13:11 »
The difference between the DTX SH rod and most Guideline rods is that the DTX bends deeper when pushed rather than almost locking up half way down the blank which makes it far more versatile. 

Now thats interesting as I found a piece about my Guideline (Act 4) written by one of Scotts DTX Pro Staff in the US who said Guidelines (Act4 and Exceed) had a nice through action compared to other rods and it was nice to have a rod with a deeper action as they are more versitile :) He seemed to really like the Act 4 12' 6" 8/9 which is the one I have.

I am off to buy a rowing boat and gill net...so much easier!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 28/03/2013 at 13:13 »
I'm not sure that GAC advertising them already has been well received........

Not the only place advertising either. http://www.pmgtackle.com/Double-Handed-Fly-Rods-Switch-Fly-Rods/Mackenzie-DTX-Perflex-Double-Hand-Fly-Rod

This lot are in Ulster.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 28/03/2013 at 13:34 »
Yes Rob, we are aware of this.  There is no stock, as soon as it lands I will let you know!!  :z4

Do you fly fish for pike Rob?

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 28/03/2013 at 14:07 »
I am off to buy a rowing boat and gill net...so much easier!!

I might have a boat for you if you are serious :wink

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #24 on: 28/03/2013 at 14:11 »
Do you fly fish for pike Rob?

It going viral!  :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 28/03/2013 at 14:36 »
I feel an inferiority complex coming on, not being part of the MacKenzie club.

Maybe next year.   :cry

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 28/03/2013 at 15:06 »
I might have a boat for you if you are serious :wink

If its the only way I am going to see a silver tourist this year, then you're on!! Not even seen one move in the river yet, maybe Saturday.

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 28/03/2013 at 15:49 »
If its the only way I am going to see a silver tourist this year, then you're on!! Not even seen one move in the river yet, maybe Saturday.

Get your finger out, chuck some gear in the Toybaru and get up here tomorrow. I'm fishing on the Ness at Dochfour, when I last checked there was one rod left and that'll cost you £47 including the booking via FishPal.
There's fish about too and the low water/cold conditions make Dochfour a real possibility for a springer, worth the trip as more fish have been caught :wink

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 28/03/2013 at 16:01 »
Hamish,
best of luck on the  Ness, I am fishing closer to home tomorrow and Saturday on the Dee just below Banchory. I will be chucking a line with a Mckenzie shooting head rod.

Go on Rob get your wallet out you know it makes sense, a man cannot have too many toys.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 29/03/2013 at 08:30 »
Get your finger out, chuck some gear in the Toybaru and get up here tomorrow.

I wish...work beckons I am afraid, but I have next week off so hope to sneak a few hours in on the Don/Dee.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com