Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Is There An 'All In One' Leader Setup ?
« Reply #15 on: 31/03/2013 at 16:30 »
This is the only Connection you need between flyline and the knot on the fly :z16

No hingeing :z16 no weak spots :z16 and no knots to catch on the line during turnover :z16

If you leave the loop on and Pull the leader all the way through to the knot, then Abrade the surface of the leader for about 1/2" from the tip of the flyline with some sandpaper, then apply the superglue to the abraded part and use the loop to pull the abraded section back into the flyline. Snip the loop end off clean against the flyline so the tag is flush and hold the joint straight with a little pressure till the superglue goes off, 30 secs is fine. Then this join will see you good for fish well into double figures :z16 The key is in roughing up the joining surface :wink

Sandy

Very happy that you can now get 15ft tapers :z3

Loxiafan

« Reply #16 on: 31/03/2013 at 16:59 »
This is the only Connection you need between flyline and the knot on the fly :z16

Looking good there Sandy, I like that !  :z16 I first saw that in FFandFT with Jeremy Lucas but it has been around on the stillwater scene for a long time. I was trying to do something similar with needle knots but found hollowing out the core the hard bit tbh ? Lucas recommended heating the needle to burn out the core but what I was left with felt very flimsly.

Any tips on the needle/coring part of the process ? I really want to try this !

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 31/03/2013 at 17:35 »
See if this helps :z16 a picture speaks a thousand words.

All the tools, A C&F Knot tool, Snips, superglue, leader and fly line

Stick the needle into the tip of the fly line for a 1/2"

Feed tippet end of leader into knot tool

Pull leader right through until loop hits fly line

Rough up the 1/2-3/4" of the end of the leader

Brush roughed up part with super glue and pull into end of flyline until all roughed up portion is covered.

Snip Loop off flush with Flyline and wipe excess super glue over the Cut and the joint and then hold straight with a little pressure for 30secs to a min for the superglue to set.

Once it is set it should look like this, and you should have only removed about this much of the leader :z16

I needed a new leader for my nymph rig anyway :X2 Hope that helps

Cheers

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #18 on: 31/03/2013 at 17:43 »
See if this helps :z16 a picture speaks a thousand words.

Certainly does Sandy, cheers ! I am sure others will thank you for that a great reference to have on here - should maybe be stickied or added to the "Knots" section on the Barrio products page Mike ?

No burgering about with lighters, and I even have that we C+f needle thingy, ya dancer  :z16

Now I just need some 15 feet leaders, might hae to order them as Banchory doesn't have them (I think ??).

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #19 on: 31/03/2013 at 18:39 »
Iain Cameron of this parish put me on to silver rings last year on the Highland Fling and I have to admit leader set ups have never been easier.

Still use them too.
Setup is straightforward.
Roman Moser minicon or fly line's own inbuilt loop. Leeda leaders (15' and been v reliable) trimmed back to 9-12 feet, depending on whim. Little silver ring, then some tippet.

And for tomorrow, have packed a couple of polyleaders (slow sink, 5' & 10') just in case... and these can of course  replace the mono leader. Woolly buggers boxed and good to go too!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #20 on: 31/03/2013 at 20:12 »
I'm gonna go with what you're using Sandy. Need to eliminate some of these loops I been using.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 31/03/2013 at 20:16 »
Do you find some of the "waterproof" superglues better Sandy, or just any old superglue will do the trick?

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #22 on: 31/03/2013 at 20:24 »
Mmmm. Used c+f needle, got about 1/8 inch in to fly line and tip of needle bent - it is completely burgered ! I think you make it look easy Sandy !  :wink It is a neat idea, but I am finding getting any kind of needle through the core without the flyline bunching up pretty difficult to say the least

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 31/03/2013 at 20:42 »
Odd :z8

I'm using Barrio lines in 3-5wts and never had a problem.
Did you go right up the centre of the core, it is braid so the needle should go in.

I'm trying to think of a reason why it would bend, I push the line onto the needle quite slowly and roll the needle as I do it.
Hard to describe exactly how :z8

Mike all cynacrylates are waterproof, the fishing ones are a lower viscosity and tend not to go white, but for connecting a leader any superglue does fine, I actually prefer the gel ones as they are easier to use for this kind of application.

Noel if we do it at work then I can help out with the installation :z16

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #24 on: 31/03/2013 at 20:46 »
Odd :z8

I'm using Barrio lines in 3-5wts and never had a problem.
Did you go right up the centre of the core, it is braid so the needle should go in.

Noel if we do it at work then I can help out with the installation :z16

Hi Sandy,

Yes doing it as you describe but wonder if my c+f needle is kanckered - the whole tip is flapping about. Have just nail knotted on the leader as there was a risk of ever shortening fly line ! I still like your leader idea though whether nail knotted or super glued.  :z16

Noel, after my efforts take Sandy up on that offer !  :wink

Lindsay

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 31/03/2013 at 21:15 »
Lindsay,
Sandy's description of how to get the needle in is spot on. It is a kind of twisting, rolling action, with lots of patience. Instead of the C&F tool I use one of these,

From Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Ended-Pin-Drill-Vice-Ideal-4-Model-Making-Hand-Tools-Accessories-/171000797877?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&var=&hash=item27d0711ab5

and a standard sewing needle. As long as the eye of the needle takes an Orvis SS 4x leader tip so it can be pulled through the line all is good.
I carry two spare needles just in case I bend one  :z4

:z1

Noel Kelly

« Reply #26 on: 31/03/2013 at 21:32 »
I love this forum  :z4

After posting earlier i googled the c&f tool. First hit, a discussion on the ffforum so had a look, guys bending and breaking needles all over the shop! So went on eBay bought a pack of needles. Was thinking could maybe find something at work to use for holding the needles. Came back on and soundmixer has the perfect solution hadn't thought of those!  :z16

Cheers sandy  :z16 will prob have a go whenever they arrive but if I have a problem will be turning up with a bag of spools!

Loxiafan

« Reply #27 on: 31/03/2013 at 22:49 »
Managed (finally) with the C+F 3 in 1  :oops As you say Sandy it is a "rolling" or twisting action rather than pushing. This was on an old line, will wait till I get the longer leaders before doing it in anger.

Cheers for the info Euan.

L

Allan Liddle

« Reply #28 on: 03/04/2013 at 13:58 »
Like the look of that Sandy  :z16 much better than my current set up of stripping the outer core and applying musclin  :shock
Lazy angler, moi?  :oops :wink :z4
Then again it's a simple set up, hastle free, small enough loop does not interfere with line action (or at least minimal enough to make it insignificant) musclin keeps the line on surface and i have not found water ingress any form of an issue, line does not sink, or even if it does it's minimal.  Although i clean my lines regularly (every couple of outings or so) and apply musclin to the tip so possibly this is helping prevent the above?

But all that said, yup your set up much more profesional, clinical and looks so much better.  :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #29 on: 03/04/2013 at 14:12 »
Like the look of that Sandy  :z16 much better than my current set up of stripping the outer core and applying musclin  :shock
Lazy angler, moi?  :oops :wink :z4
Then again it's a simple set up, hastle free, small enough loop does not interfere with line action (or at least minimal enough to make it insignificant) musclin keeps the line on surface and i have not found water ingress any form of an issue, line does not sink, or even if it does it's minimal.  Although i clean my lines regularly (every couple of outings or so) and apply musclin to the tip so possibly this is helping prevent the above?

But all that said, yup your set up much more profesional, clinical and looks so much better.  :z16

I had a small metal loop ring on my dry tippet on Monday, but sadly couldn't put it to the test. I am beginning to think Iain's RM loops is really the most practical solution - it would allow me to have a level tippet for spiders and nymphs ( which I seem to prefer).

Just got a Mallard 2wt DT for the Streamflex Plus - gonna be fun seing if it likes underlining ( I think it will !)

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com