Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Is There An 'All In One' Leader Setup ?
« on: 24/03/2013 at 14:41 »
Nearly ready for 'opening' day (for me) tomorrow and have realised I will most likely not solely be fishing dries so my normal leader set up of nail knotted Orvis SS 12ft leader plus 4-5 ft tippet will not be much good for nymphs or spiders !

Now I know there is no perfect solution, but what does eveyone use as a 'compromise' or general leader setup which allows a quick change from nymphs, spiders to dries ? I am thinking along the lines of Ben's 'all round' leader - 6ft x1/x2 tapered leader, nail knotted to fly line, terminating in a perfection loop, to:

Dries - 4' of 3x, 3' of 4x and 2' 5x (thanks Ben !)

Spiders - for two (my pref) straight through Stroft 0.10- 0.12 mm 'finger to nose' for each section (add a 'section' for Loch Leader)

Nymphs - suppose it depends on fishing depth, but say 4 feet and 3 feet, Stroft as above.

What do you guys do, especially those that also nail knot ? Maybe I am missing something  :z7 Perhaps a job for those RM loops afterall ? !  :wink I guess JL would call this a 'tactical leader'.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

Re: Is There An 'All In One' Leader Setup ?
« Reply #1 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:09 »
Hi Lindsay

I'm lazier than you :z7

I've two spools, one orange SLX and One Olive SLX both the same weight.

The orange one has a 12ft Orvis SS 6X tapered leader Superglued through the tip of line to which a 6x Tippet of Nose to tip of finger length is water knotted ,making dropper to point combo. Once i've changed the tippet a few times back to about 9ft, i will add a section of 6x tippet to recover the length and continue to add the same dropper to point piece. I use this for all my nymphing and spider fishing, incl klink and dink style, so is a good general purpose setup.

The olive one has a 15ft Orvis SS 7x tapered leader Superglued to the tip of the flyline. I will connect it direct to the fly until it gets to about 12ft and then start adding 7x tippet in nose to finger lengths. This is for single dryfly.
Sometimes if its really windy i might shorten the taper and put on a heavier Tippet 5x or 6x, depending on how much i've taken off will depend on whether i just replace the whole thing afterwards.

I reckon i go through about 3 tapered leaders per line in a season and just one 30m spool of each 5x,6x,7x and 8x tippet. I find this most acceptable and it means i'm always using fairly new leader material, so less breakages.
The fly lines will take at least 3 years worth of changing leaders at a 3/4 Inch long, line to leader joint. so my basic rig really doesn't change much.

I'm using Super Strong and SLX's this year, previously i've done exactly the same with Froghair and Mallards/GT90's

I like the fact that i can have two identical lines in different colours so i know which leader is on which line and pick them accordingly depending on fly requirements..

:z18
Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:16 »

What I plan to use this year on the River Lindsay:

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:21 »
Hi Lindsay
I'm lazier than you :z7

Maybe not dude, but cool system all the same ! :z16

I now have 2 Hydros II's and 2 spools each so I could go apesh1t there ! I could even carry two rods, one 3wt for spiders/nymphs the other a #4 for dries....but I know how quickly the appeal of that will wear off !

Thinking 'one rod, one reel', dynamic setup for 'on the fly' changes in conditions and tactics. With the proposed setup it would just be a tippet change, loop to loop (these could even be premade) so a pretty quick change that should even be possibly midstream - we'll see !

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:23 »
Hi Lindzer,

Good luck tomorrow you tart  :z16

Quick change eh?

2 rods?    theoretically the best way especially if it is to catch the best a (possibly) short hatch but a major logistical headache, not for me.

2 spools?  if you prefer a certain line weigh and or taper for one method over the other ( or if you are flush) then this might work.

Wallet with your tapered leaders stored? This is what I do (I'm a RM minicon boy) I use a 9' tapered leader c/w tippet for my single dry fly fishing which is easily unpicked at the loop and then replaced with a shorter 5-6' top section of an expended 9' tapered dry fly leader (which you have saved & stored in your leader wallet).
I have also used this method when catching a hatch and leaving the whole nymph/spider leader assy c/w flies stuck in a fence post until it's nymph time again. (remember to leave it in a safe manner, clearly marked & to pick it up before you depart in case there are any Loxias flying about).

As for diameters and lengths from this tapered section?  how many flies are you using? are you casting or lobbing? what's the water height, colour, depth?   "I don't really know" to be said in a Les Dennis mimics Mavis style.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:24 »
What I plan to use this year on the River Lindsay:

Cheers Alex,

Similar lengths/sections to me which is interesting. I take it that you will loop to loop to the fly line with these ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:24 »
apologies Lindz, a "while you were typing" situation.

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:29 »
Hi Lindsay

Grey's Loop on all my River Lines mean I can swap quickly from the Stroft setup
to the 9ft Tapered Leader setup for dries using loop to loop.

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:35 »
Quick change eh?

Last year no, I just slummed it out looking for good lies, seaching for insect activity and then feeding fish, but then that was all dry fly, and at that only one pattern so really easy  :z7

The option of fishing spiders, and nymphs (not really my bag tbh) as well as dries has made me think about leaders more. Other than the RM we are on a similar page (with this !  :wink). In all honesty I am thinking about a RM minicom on my GT90 #3 and for the XF2 Plus as that rig is the one where I might need to be a bit jakey. I could use a level spider leader, level nymph leader and also stick on my French Leader or god forbid my Dibble Furled for the dries !  :z16

Tomorrow will most likely be Helios 104, SLX #4 and the above leader set-up in post 1. As the season progresses it will probably morph in to my favoured 12 ft plus tippet dry leader.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:41 »
Last year no, I just slummed it out looking for good lies, seaching for insect activity and then feeding fish, but then that was all dry fly, and at that only one pattern so really easy 

I hear you sister, that's defo my favoured method, possibly easy, possibly not but leisurely and a most enjoyable way to spend a day.

Good luck again for tomorrow - hope it's not blowin' hard or it might be depth charges on a shorter level leader.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #10 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:47 »
Good luck again for tomorrow - hope it's not blowin' hard or it might be depth charges on a shorter level leader.

Cheers Iain, <10mph but light sleet all day with 0 degrees wind chill is what is predicated so depth charges it will be methinks !

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 24/03/2013 at 16:14 »

I hear you sister, that's defo my favoured method, possibly easy, possibly not but leisurely and a most enjoyable way to spend a day.

Me too, given the choice, hence the 15ft taper, No knots except the one at the fly :z16 Does it get any simpler :z8

My spools are pretty small, fit in my inside pocket and can be changed mid-stream so it is a pretty versatile system.
I'm just not a fan of Knots and i'll try to get rid of as many as possible.

Very interesting to see how other people are doing this. :z18

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 25/03/2013 at 22:57 »
Leeda tapered leader cut at full width of arms from butt loop then seamless ring (2.5mm) then leader material of choice length determined by size of water or style of fishing.  Standard for me is 12 inches from ring (just read this again and admit this doen't sound right  :oops :z4) as a dropper length (about 6 inch dropper) then approx 36 inches to second fly.

Sorry it's so simple but works well for me.

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 25/03/2013 at 23:23 »
Iain Cameron of this parish put me on to silver rings last year on the Highland Fling and I have to admit leader set ups have never been easier.
I have a similar set up to Dryflee, but I use 7' of Orvis super strong 4x leader needle knotted to my SLX and ending in a ring. Droppers come of the ring and so does the next extension.
Simples!

Standard for me is 12 inches from ring
Whoa there dude! That's too close, and could be classed as teasing... :z7

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 25/03/2013 at 23:37 »
Whoa there dude! That's too close, and could be classed as teasing... :z7

:z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com