Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: 'That time again' Spiders
« Reply #25 on: 22/03/2013 at 12:12 »
Grim Stuff indeed Rob  :z10  :z6 I have not had any bend in the vice though. Perhaps this 'wide gape' is more trouble than it is worth but it is one of the reasons PP recommends the Classic Spider !  :z8 Perhaps line tension on the straight eye is putting direct strain on the bend of the hook, something any of you engineers could answer I am sure !

L

Rob Brownfield

Re: 'That time again' Spiders
« Reply #26 on: 22/03/2013 at 12:54 »
Perhaps this 'wide gape' is more trouble than it is worth but it is one of the reasons PP recommends the Classic Spider !  

I have used the now defunked Drennen Wide Gape Maggot Hook for years, landing tench to 7 pounds on a size 20 barbless, so I am a fan of wide gapes. If I can find any more of these hooks I will buy them as they are spot on for spiders.

Here is an image of Specimen version, thicker wire but the same shape.

I wonder if I have a bad batch of Partridge hooks, it would not be the first time in a long way. I work with the sister in law of MArk Hamnett of Partridge, perhaps I should send him some examples for his opinion :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com