Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Decent Rooster Saddles, Black, Any about ?
« on: 20/03/2013 at 18:52 »
I am, ahem, at the moment tying up some of Ben D's Wooly Bugger's and am trying to do the job with a crapo Indian Cock Cape bought from Fartfish about 12 years ago. I thought I would go on line and get some decent fluff but bujjer me no-one seems to hae any !

These are size 4 (yep, you read that right) and 6 WB's so the hackle barbs need to be big enough. Anyone know of any to be had that are up to the job - so far I have been using a body hackle then a separate Collar hackle but the flies are not balanced looking. Could I use Hen instead, cos I have some decent stuff somewhere ?

Thanks.

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

Re: Decent Rooster Saddles, Black, Any about ?
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2013 at 18:56 »
Hi Lindsay,

What you want is a Whiting Woolly Bugger Pack.  This has loads of hackle in a range of sizes that varies from webby to spiky and all has nice strong thin stems so winds well.  You'll also get use out of it for palmering wet files and the last pack I got even had some feathers that were good enough to use for parachute hackles.  Think they are £14.95, can't quite remember, will check tomorrow.

Should be able to see them at orvis.COM, think code is 91HT.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2013 at 19:10 »
.....These are size 4 (yep, you read that right) and 6 WB's so the hackle barbs need to be big enough.

Working your way up to 'man' sizes there Lindsay :? Like your work  :wink

H :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:11 »
I've a black Saddle cape, How many would you like :z16
I'll size them to the hooks you mention and pop them in the post :z18

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2013 at 12:11 »
Beat me too it Sandy, was going to offer a few of the biger feathers off my black saddle (that dosen't sound right  :shock).

Give's a pm if yer still stuck Lindsay.
BTW knowing the bit of water you're looking to used them on then can i recommend....................................czech nymphs  :wink
And look to the 'hut pool' or along by the viaduct.  :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 21/03/2013 at 13:02 »
What you want is a Whiting Woolly Bugger Pack.  This has loads of hackle in a range of sizes that varies from webby to spiky and all has nice strong thin stems so winds well.  You'll also get use out of it for palmering wet files and the last pack I got even had some feathers that were good enough to use for parachute hackles.  Think they are £14.95, can't quite remember, will check tomorrow.

Cheers Ben that looks just the jobby ! Black is only available at Orvis.com though and don't fancy paying $30 postage on a single cape  :shock Can you order them in through the shop ? I realize you won't be able to get them by Monday though !

Sandy and Allan many thanks for the generous offer, if Ben can't get any in the near to medium future I'll be in touch ! I reckon if I tie a few with the Whiting Hen Neck Cape I have this might be an improvement, possibly a heavy-ish hen collar hackle too - bit more pulsing 'movement' when stripping ! :wink Actually, looking at WB's on here I'd say I don't quite have enough Marabou on my tails, finding this streamer mullarkey more challenging than I thought ! But...I'm sure the ones I have tied would do the biz, they are plan z for me at the mo afterall !

Allan, any particular Czech nymphs - scuds, ryac's, caddis ? Jeez a lot to do before Monday as I have nada of these in my box !

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 21/03/2013 at 13:10 »
Lindsay,

I fish woolly buggers so I have the hackles in shop mate!!  I will stick the blacks to one side for you.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 21/03/2013 at 13:23 »
I fish woolly buggers so I have the hackles in shop mate!!  I will stick the blacks to one side for you.

Good man  :z16 Glad I didn't order any online last night  :z7 If you have any of the small Orvis WB Chennile as well please stick that aside too ?

I probably won't manage out till Saturday afternoon but will catch you then,

Cheers,

Lindsay

Alex Burnett

« Reply #8 on: 22/03/2013 at 19:16 »
Hi Lindsay

I know the where abouts of 1 or 2 :X2

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com