Re: Fly tyers kit bag - recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: 24/03/2013 at 15:42 »
Looks suspiciosly like mine H really good piece of kit

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 24/03/2013 at 16:10 »
H

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/6810/category/278

I've used one of these for years, its been all over the world, and the seperate Zip lock wallet thing on the inside holds enough stuff to take for a 2 week trip, fits in the corner of a suitcase and everything is locked in. I'm still using it now :z16 and it all still works perfectly :z16

Plenty similar ideas out there, but i can vouch for this from experience :z18

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 25/03/2013 at 09:23 »
Cheers Sandy - looks useful  :z16

Will make a decision next couple of days, now think I need two  :shock ...... we shall see  :z13

Kevin Muir

« Reply #18 on: 25/03/2013 at 12:45 »
Hamish, I will not rise to any references to my deer hair mountain.

What can I say, it is all good quality, carefully selected for particular jobs as it is such a variable material.

Do I have spare patches, well yes one or two!

I have struggled with sorting out my tying materials at home and also for travelling and have now arrived at the following.

Travelling kit - take a little of everything you think you will need and place these materials in seperate clear zip lock bags, label them well and organise like materials together, say half a dozen saddle hackles of the same colour in a bag and as many bags of the hackles in the colours you think you will need in a larger bag.  It does take some time to sort it out but once completed you have a reasonably compact set up that will not induce a hernia when you try to pick it up off the floor.

I am getting there with this set up, once completed it will be a perfect bag to take to the tying club, on holiday, or working away from home.  I have settled on a Lowepro camera backpack for this, I have been using this bag for a couple of years.  I threw out the dividers that came with the bag as they were very bulky.  I am trying to sort out thinner ones.  Tamrac make similar camera backpacks, they both have internal pockets for a vice and tying tools and once you sort you gear into smaller quantities you have the perfect travelling tying bag.

I did go down the road of bagging up the materials for certain patterns / styles of flies and leaving them bagged up, loch style wets, nymphs, bugs, streamers, saltwater etc !!!  but that got out of hand (hard to believe eh!) and I have changed things a little to try to only have a travel kit of a little of most things rather than needing to trailer to carry my tying bag.

At home, I am using plastic food containers for similar material and store these in larger clear crates a bit like the ones Iain uses, I think this is the best option for home storage, safe from little flying creatures and also easy to locate when you need a particular colour of something etc.  All you have to do is print out labels to clearly show what is in each crate.

Good luck with the journey, it is a journey, I am not sure if you ever get to the final destination with this but as long as you can find what you are looking for quickly that should be good enough.  I wish I could say I have arrived at that point just now but I am still trying to rationalise things.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  

I forgot to say, you do probably need a few more patches of deer hair, everyone does or is it just me.

Kev.

Loxiafan

« Reply #19 on: 25/03/2013 at 23:26 »
I forgot to say, you do probably need a few more patches of deer hair, everyone does or is it just me.

No not just you Kevin   ! :oops I justify my addiction similar to you that I need different types of 'hair' for different things -less flare, more flare, good for DHE's, Elk for Balloon Caddis etc etc You know when you have a 'problem' when you find a good 'hair' and don't tell anyone about it so the supplier always has some in stock.....for you to keep buying  :oops Seriously, I found some Elk Hair that is the absolute bollox, you could use it for anything, absolutely perfect. It then got a great review in a popular fish mag and the dealer sold out. Ar$e !

I'm off to count and fondle my Deer Hair pelts....

L

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 26/03/2013 at 07:46 »
I'm off to count and fondle my Deer Hair pelts....

We have a couple of deer pelts in the garage that some how fell off the back of some deer just before they fell into the freezer. One was a winter coat, one summer. The difference in the hair is marked with the winter pelt habing a thicker base to the hair that is hollow. This hair flares significantly better than the summer hair. I use the summer hair for small muddlers etc where I want a tight compact head.

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 26/03/2013 at 08:14 »

Just you Kev, I think your plan to use a patchwork of deer hair as a way to decorate your house is vaguely exotic and fraught with the temptation to use the material for fly tying.... but each to their own  :z7

We have a couple of deer pelts in the garage that some how fell off the back of some deer just before they fell into the freezer. One was a winter coat, one summer. The difference in the hair is marked with the winter pelt habing a thicker base to the hair that is hollow. This hair flares significantly better than the summer hair. I use the summer hair for small muddlers etc where I want a tight compact head.

Useful info that Rob :cool:

Alex Burnett

« Reply #22 on: 26/03/2013 at 11:51 »

You mean like this Hamish 

:X2

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 26/03/2013 at 12:43 »
A Certain symmetry there Alex :z7 :z7

An organised mind :z4 :z4 Or did you take your decorating cues from your flybox with the Balloon caddis :z4

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #24 on: 26/03/2013 at 14:45 »
An organised mind Sandy  :X2 :X2 :X2

Fly boxes are based on my decorating layouts  :wink

Note the similar colours & symmetry  :z7

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 26/03/2013 at 18:14 »
Fly boxes are based on my decorating layouts  :wink

Excellant :z16

Its good to have a theme :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 27/03/2013 at 08:25 »
An organised mind Sandy  :X2 :X2 :X2

Fly boxes are based on my decorating layouts  :wink

Note the similar colours & symmetry  :z7

Alex

I could be wrong, but I "think" I see a theme hear ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com