Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Fly tyers kit bag - recommendations please
« on: 20/03/2013 at 16:53 »
As it says in in the title chaps, I'm on the look out for some kind of (decent sized) fly tyers kit bag.

It needs to be a good size as I plan on getting a third of my fly tying kit into it. Anyone who has seen the sprawling mess that is my fly tying kit will understand the significance of this comment, there is a hell of a lot of it and I need to get it into some sort of order.

Partly
this is for continued domestic bliss, but mostly as I plan on using the 'kit bag' to keep the 'essentials' in and - now and again - it would be nice to have a portable outfit of sorts..... rather than moving a room of the house with me  :wink

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

Re: Fly tyers kit bag - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2013 at 17:29 »
hi Hamish !
i have the older Fishpond semi-hardshell tiers case. (not made anymore but still around in shops)
DON'T get it. it's crap and very expensive crap at that.

cheers,
marc

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2013 at 18:11 »
Marc,

How generous mentioning the things not to get.

Hamish, also do not get;

An old leather suitcase
A FineFare carrier bag
An old wardrobe
A Gladstone bag
An old plastic Sunblest loaf tray
An ottoman
.etc, etc.

The best thing that I have seen is still the Orvis foldey up one, I have thought about it on many occasions but very very seldom find the need to travel with tying kit.

Interested in seeing what you end up with.

In the house I keep 70% of my kit in Wham Crystal shallow shelf boxes which hold a decent amount and I can stack the nine of these on a footprint of 24" x7".

I know that you are looking for a kit bag but I'm sure that you aren't gonna get all your stuff in one bag (at least not in an orderly manner) then a smaller transport 'pocket kit' recepticle with a home storage facility might work.

Happy huntin'

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2013 at 18:44 »
As it says in in the title chaps, I'm on the look out for some kind of (decent sized) fly tyers kit bag.

Guideline Scierra (quite big, loads of room) or Airflo Outlander ( not as big, but decent), £60 and £50 respectively from Somers. Orvis one is cracking but not much room, though I suppose more than enuff for materials for what flies I actually use !

L

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2013 at 18:49 »
H,

Why don't you ask Kev?  :z4

I think his is made by Ifor Williams and is the double axles model.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2013 at 19:06 »
H,

Why don't you ask Kev?  :z4

I think his is made by Ifor Williams and is the double axles model.

:z4 :z4 :z4 :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 20/03/2013 at 19:17 »
hi Hamish !
i have the older Fishpond semi-hardshell tiers case. (not made anymore but still around in shops)
DON'T get it. it's crap and very expensive crap at that.

cheers,
marc

Thanks Marc  :z16

Indeed, thanks everyone - some belting suggestions in there most of which I will take notice of. Honest.
Of course, my fly tying kit collection is reasonably large but I forgot that our Kevs collection is on a whole different scale or definition of large and is possibly verging on the obsessive  :shock I mean, just how much deer hair does one man need :? What does he do with it :? eat it with prunes ??? :z7

Alex Burnett

« Reply #7 on: 20/03/2013 at 19:27 »
Depends what you mean by portable  :wink

Alex

Alex Burnett

« Reply #8 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:05 »
Hamish

If you are looking for more storage space, maybe this is more what you are looking for.

:X2

Alex

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 20/03/2013 at 22:14 »
The one in your second post Alex is very much what I would like in my 'man room' which I will build..... one day  :wink
Meanwhile, back in the real world, the first one is similar to something I used to have but which was ultimately impractical for me  :z10

So.... I'm still kit bag hunting  :wink

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 21/03/2013 at 09:48 »
Airflo do one like this,

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/airflo-outlander-fly-tying-kit-bag~11816.html

Veniard like this,

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/veniard-fly-tying-tote-bag~10210.html

I also have a Lowepro rucksack that has dividers that could be used for such a purpose and that would be at your favourite price  :z4
I'll email you some pics when I get home.

:z1

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 21/03/2013 at 10:10 »
Hamish

Have you thought about an Aluminium Camera Case:

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2013 at 10:15 »
Depends on how much dosh you want to spend, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Nash Barrowlogix range, especially "The Cube". They are so versitile.

http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/barrowlogix-cube.productInfo (click on the arrows on the photo to see it unfolded)

or the Cube Compact

http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/barrowlogix-cube-compact.productInfo

Both are "cube" shape so fit in boots, cupboards, corners of rooms etc, but both fold open so can be slide under beds and so on. Once laid open, you have access to zipped pockets and so on. They also clip apart so you can just take "sections" with you, so perhaps you have a salmon section, a trout section and a "tools" section...

The quality is spot on to and they will last years and years.

http://youtu.be/7UnJG8ECmMM

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 21/03/2013 at 12:05 »
Hi Hamish

I've got my portable kit for demos and holidays in a couple of old laptop bags.  Not the greatest, but pretty handy and allows you to carry a shed load of kit.  Cheap as well generally, bet you've got one or two kicking about the house or at work?

Allan

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 21/03/2013 at 13:31 »
Hi Hamish,

Sorry, I should have said Scierra Destination tying bag NOT Guideline as per my post:

http://www.grampianfishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1872

Holds a lot of crap ( I have a lot of crap), has zip-lok pockets and bags that are velcroed so you can pull em out, plastic tubes for threads and tinsels, overall a decent design and value at £60. The Airflo is quite a bit smaller, but still hold lots. Yes, you've guessed it, I have BOTH ! Situation is only getting worse with Wooley Bugger materials and believe me I might just be able to give Kev a run on Deer Hair/Elk Hair !

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com